A Comical Tale of a DIY Elk hunt

Yosin

FNG
Elk hunts can test our equipment and endurance. Pre-season scouting does not always bring our hoped for results with unpredictable hunting pressure and our current drought. Your were very resourceful and maintained a great attitude. Enjoyed this and thanks for sharing.

I think I know that sheep herder and the pups from his dogs. Had a long few days many years ago that sound like the same thing you went through.

If you hunt for antlers or meat you will not always be successful. You can buy either one of those things far more economically. If you hunt for adventure you will always find it every time and it is absolutely priceless.

one of my favorite wilderness memories was on a fishing trip in the cascades where we were bushwhacking to a legendary lake. We had not planned properly and ran out of water on the way up a nasty ridge full of deadfall thickets. We had to bivuoac on the ridge and the only liquid was a tiny 3 oz bottle of scotch. When you are really thirsty, Johnny Walker Red is not the ticket. When we made it to the lake next morning we had to wait 20 minutes for our water purification to kick in (Clorox... this was before katadyn filter pumps). Longest 20 minutes of my life.

FromEm

FNG
Great story! You never know what you will run into in the wilderness. During the off-season I was with a group and we had just submitted to 13.9k in Colorado and a herd of mountain goats from the neighboring peak came over and walked right past us! Then a young couple also ran past us in shorts and no shirt, climbing through the snow. Hard to believe they were acclimated so well!

K.S.

FNG
Made me laugh!
My hunting partner and I had the same trip but instead of sheep we ran into cattle. Everywhere we went!
And we only had one water source.
We had a great time and can't wait to do it again!
Stay Positive

ehuffaker

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
that is a good story!! im surprised by how the sheep dogs acted towards you everything that I have heard about those dogs are that they are mean and you do not want to mess with them or else you will end up regretting it later lol. Im glad that was not the case here sounds like you had fun even though your hunt didnt go as planned.