A couple hammock questions

ChrisS

WKR
Opinions on the Dutchware Chameleon?
Dutch's stuff is top notch and his customer service is outstanding. There are a lot of shops making the hammocks with zippered bug nets - so lots of options: Dream hammock, War Bonnet, Dutch, Hammockgear, etc. One thing to look for is whether the lay is asymmetrical (meaning the netting is cut and sewn so that you can only lay in one direction, e.g. head left feet right) and symmetrical where you can switch. The Asym will be an ounce or two lighter. Also, some of the integrated net hammocks, the bug net can't be fully removed, which is fine for camping in places where the you need it, but not so much when you're out west at elevation in the fall and there aren't many insects.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend browsing the hammock forums camping hammocks and seeing what differences are between each vendor usually has something that sets them apart, it might be integrated quilt attachment points, or storage options, or ultralight versions, or something.

Any of them have a strong following and good customer service for made in the usa stuff.

twall13

WKR
I was just reading that Clark Jungle Hammocks is going out of business. If you plan on buying from them you better do it quickly as I heard they stopped with production this month and are only selling remaining inventory.

loblolly7

FNG
My first trip out west elk hunting I used a hammock with just a sleeping pad and 20 degree sleeping bag and had to sleep fully clothed to not freeze. I wouldn't go again without investing in an under-quilt and good suspension straps. It was comfortable, except when the temps dipped a little low.

josh10

FNG
outdoor vitals makes a interesting product the mummypod. pod system that hammock slides in

There is a guy on YouTube that regularly hangs in sub 0 weather. I don’t know exact channel name but it’s shug for short. Not sure if it has already been mentioned but he pushes limits of cod weather hammock camping.