A couple of questions...

success

WKR
Long time rifle hunter new to bow hunting. Been practicing a lot. Reading a lot. Trying to absorb as much as I can.

Shooting a pse 70# 27”dl

I have 3 arrows I’m trying to see which will be the best for this season for me.

Pse hunter hd 445gr optimized spine per software

Easton 5mm fml 511gr slightly stiff

Easton 5mm fmj 536gr slightly stiff

I started with the pse hunters bc that’s what my pro shop sells cheap by the doz. I’ve been practicing with those for months. I bought the fmj bc I really liked them on paper with the ease of the hit inserts to increase foc.

I zeroed at 20 with the pse arrows. The fmj have hit consistently low compared to the pse arrows. By low I’m talking the distance of the sprayer on circles on a block target (2-3”?). Then I moved to 30yds yesterday. The fmj in both weights are hitting even lower. My middle 30 yd pin (3 pin sight) is very very close to my 20yard with the pse arrows. Using the same pin setup, the fmj are 5-6” low. So this leads to my questions

1. I know the heavier arrows will drop more over distance, but will the 66gr difference cause that much drop?

2. With any arrows now or in the future, does each specific arrow setup need its own zero? Meaning I can’t shoot 445gn arrows and expect them to be at the same zero at 535gn arrows?

3. Is it common for my 20 yd and 30yd pins you be almost touching? The pse arrows were dead on like this as if I could use my 20 yd pin at 30 yd. But I need to drop the 30 yd pin a good bit to bring up my fmj arrows.

I’m sure I have more questions. I was thinking about this all night. I ran out of light last night to test dropping my 30yd pin on the heavier lower hitting arrows.

First off, I'd say choose which shaft you want to use for hunting this season and set the others aside. Arrow weight will most definitely change your point of impact. If you go to the heavier arrows your pin gap will increase which sounds like what you want. Many guys are liking the heavier arrows right now. I'd say go with the 550 ish grain total arrow weight and sight your bow in with those arrows. Hope that helps!

Those fmj's are a smaller diameter than your pse arrows, this on top of them being heavy are making them shoot low. The arrow diameter effects where the arrow center is on the rest, smaller diameter the arrow the lower the arrow is starting out (pointing down).

More than a zero, every arrow will likely require its own tune. With going to a smaller diameter arrow your rest needs to be moved up for certain. As the arrow speed changes you will need to alter the pin gap. Not uncommon for close pins at 20-30. I'd recommend starting first pin at 25 or 30 yards.

You have a shorter draw length, so your not transferring as much energy to the arrows as someone with a 29" or so draw. Jumping over 50 grain in arrow weight you are really going to notice it. That 50 grains is slowing your setup 13-15 fps I suspect. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it's going to make a fair amount of difference with your pin gap.

wayoh22

WKR
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No, @BillyGoat nailed it

Need to decide on a shaft and can fine tune from there.

OP
S

success

WKR
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the feedback.

I didn’t realize I’d have to move my rest for smaller diameter arrows. Makes sense.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the feedback.

I didn’t realize I’d have to move my rest for smaller diameter arrows. Makes sense.

That or move your nock point. Most bows are setup to run an arrow right thru the center of the Berger hole. That's the threaded hole that your rest mounts to. Look where your arrows are in relation to that. If you only have a d-loop on your string you can spin it up or down your serving a little to tune it.

And for a hunting arrow I prefer stiff spine. I wouldn't get wrapped up in it too much tho except for making sure it's not too weak, and your program is set for hunting not target.

OP
S

success

WKR
I think I’m gonna try to dial in the 511 fmj. Any way to remove the 75 gr insert from my other 3 fmj so as to not waste those arrows? I’d like to remove the insert and break off the 25gr tail so I can have more 511gr arrows.

Gorp2007

WKR
To remove the stock HIT inserts I use a drill bit a little smaller than the ID of the arrow. Remove the nock, put the drill bit in (flat side down) and swing to break the insert loose. Once the insert is sticking out of the bottom of the arrow, take your time to avoid launching an insert and a drill bit across your work area.

I think I’m gonna try to dial in the 511 fmj. Any way to remove the 75 gr insert from my other 3 fmj so as to not waste those arrows? I’d like to remove the insert and break off the 25gr tail so I can have more 511gr arrows.

I can't answer that for certain. If it was epoxied in I'd say no (that's what is recommended). Possibly use a drill bit in the shaft from the nock end and try to knock it out slinging the shaft downward. With the fmj be careful not to bend the shaft. If the insert breaks free with the drill bit I suspect it will pull some carbon with it.

Are you shooting 100 or 125 grain broadheads? If by chance you are shooting 125 heads you could use 100 grain practice points on the 75 insert.

OP
S

success

WKR
I would probably track down some 75 grain points and use them for practice. That epoxy for the hits that Easton supplies is pretty stout. Don't use them to tune, spine will be a little different. They will be fine for practice arrows.

Really good idea!

Beendare

WKR
All 3 will work.

the reason you are seeing so much more drop with the heavier arrow is you have the sight set for the light arrow....its starting the heavy arrow on a lower plane and not overlaying the trajectory for a good comparison.

Set the sight to the heavy arrow...then shoot them all. Trajectory at short 25,30yd distances will be an insignificant difference. Its only at the longer ranges the heavier arrows show more drop.

Part of what you are seeing in your testing is due to the lack of tuning....

_____

OP
S

success

WKR
All 3 will work.

the reason you are seeing so much more drop with the heavier arrow is you have the sight set for the light arrow....its starting the heavy arrow on a lower plane and not overlaying the trajectory for a good comparison.

Set the sight to the heavy arrow...then shoot them all. Trajectory at short 25,30yd distances will be an insignificant difference. Its only at the longer ranges the heavier arrows show more drop.

Part of what you are seeing in your testing is due to the lack of tuning....

_____

Will do

OP
S

success

WKR
Update:
I rezerod everything using the 510 and 535 fmj. My pin gap is “normal” now. I think I’m gonna stick with the 535s this season which are the green fletching. This was at 30yards. Disregard the blue arrows. The orange (510s) did better today.

6e1441c687c544325799466e5343af5a.jpg