A crazy thing happened today

OP
roosiebull
The English teacher in me can’t resist. What kind of truck was the Marten driving?😉😉. And do they know how to drive in the dark?

BTW very nice buck…
Haha 😂 that made me laugh…

i almost fixed that after I posted it, maybe I will now. I get a little more illiterate each year… my post hunt recaps in a few years will be “funny but hard to follow” ;)

OP
roosiebull
He did not say it was driving a truck, could have been a car.
Have you ever seen a marten in a car? They are a pickup species… a car wouldn’t do them much good where they live. If not in a pickup, they mainly drive Jeeps and samurais (occasional soccer mom marten in a 4Runner)

Don’t fix it. It’s awesome the way it is. I also occasionallyAnd sometimes miss underestimate my ability to speak English good.

Also I went back and looked at the original post. Since you were seeing him in the dark driving. Are you sure it was a Marten? I mean in the dark behind the wheel, could’ve been a weasel, a stoat, A mink, or any of the weaseling members of the weasel family. maybe even a skunk.

seriously though, I have seen one Marten in my life. It was in the Sierras so I’m guessing it was an American Marten. It was a very memorable experience for me. I’m very fond of all the weasel Family actually. Now that I think of it various weasel sightings have been among the highlights of many of my hunting trips. Seen a white footed weasel in the ruby mountains, River Otters in the East Fork of the Carson River, A very small brown weasel fission for crawdads in the East Fork of the Walker River, and a white phase mink in the Jarbidge wilderness.

Last edited:
OP
roosiebull
Great buck Roosie….

They are in full rut here too
thanks!

they actually aren't getting very pre rutty yet here, that added to the situation being so bizarre. he was only the second buck over 3yrs old i have seen in the woods since it opened. last week just started seeing young bucks hanging around does a little, no chasing at all yet.

sign has certainly getting better, obviously bucks are getting active, see that on the ground before you see it during daylight, but these next 3 days are my favorite days of the rifle season. the couple days around the 20th i have seen the most truly big bucks on their feet during daylight, and not with does. that is also the timeframe i see the willows getting hammered, so i think it's a significant time frame for bucks marking territory (just a bro science theory) i have seen enough big bucks in that timeframe i know it's no coincidence.

next week it will be as common as not to see bucks with does, but they will likely be young.... the 20th is always the kickoff for good pre rut action around here, but it does seem things are happening a little early this year (the elk certainly were early this year)

i'm going to spend the next few days in the woods, and see if i can find a good game plan for taking my wife this weekend.... tomorrow may be more bear focused being the last nice day in the forecast, but i love this next 2 weeks in the woods.... seeing that white face and dark antlers never gets old.

OP
roosiebull
The marten was certainly one of the highlights of that day. They look like they would be a cool pet… but I’m guessing if they are anything like their family members, if I captured one, by the time I got home, there wouldn’t be much left of me, haha

weasels… if they weighed 50lbs, we would all be in really big trouble! I don’t think there is a more savage beast than a weasel

TripleJ

WKR
Martens are super cool animals, I remember watching one chase a squirrel up, down, and around a tree when I was in my teens.

weasels… if they weighed 50lbs, we would all be in really big trouble! I don’t think there is a more savage beast than a weasel

That's why wolverines are so bad ass, all that attitude in an animal big enough to back it up.

OP
roosiebull
starting vacation tomorrow so 16 days of blacktail, things will get better thats for sure!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
things are picking up for sure. saw a good buck chasing 2 does first thing yesterday morning, then another smaller buck followed not far behind.... nasty east wind had the deer laying low yesterday after first light, but i covered a lot of country and the amount of ground sign was nuts.... lots of deep dug in tracks, skidded up, all over.

gonna head out mid day again today when the weather gets a little better.... i'm looking for yogi, and trying to ignore the bucks/sign, haha.

had eyes on him last night, but he was a little out of my wheelhouse at 519yds.... not much of an obstacle for you, but just not a skill set i have... i dropped down the ridge to under 400yds, which i'm good with, but couldn't see him in the brush after losing the elevation. lots of blue huckleberry there still, so i will hunt the weather windows i have, and hopefully get him killed.... i really want a damn bear to can. they are always around when i don't want to kill one, and become reclusive when i do.

good luck and keep us posted! taking my brother tomorrow, and feel confident in getting a crack at a buck.... gotta brainstorm a game plan, because the spot i have focused most of my time in, i'm saving for my wife

OP
roosiebull
Well, in a perfect world, I should have earned myself a bonus deer tag… but I’ll take it anyways ;)

Attachments

• 5F26E6FE-2003-4B25-A8D8-8C5D42C415F9.jpeg
    5F26E6FE-2003-4B25-A8D8-8C5D42C415F9.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 2D45E5B5-F0F6-49C8-8510-39026155D4A4.jpeg
    2D45E5B5-F0F6-49C8-8510-39026155D4A4.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 42
  • C23857D7-1610-4AD9-9A38-324057EB160B.jpeg
    C23857D7-1610-4AD9-9A38-324057EB160B.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 47
  • D2E7DE85-24E7-43BB-83E0-C3DCA7545638.jpeg
    D2E7DE85-24E7-43BB-83E0-C3DCA7545638.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 46

TSU ME

FNG
Awesome deer and great story to go with it! So symmetrical too, they are all so pretty in there own way.

OP
roosiebull
Awesome deer and great story to go with it! So symmetrical too, they are all so pretty in there own way.
There is no deer species that compare to a handsome blacktail buck with their winter capes… even more when they get swollen necks… you are right, every blacktail is unique, they all look different… this particular buck was one of the more plain looking bucks I have killed, but still a pretty deer.

my shoulder mount or no shoulder mount decision is always more based on the cape than antlers, and the only local species I will consider a shoulder mount… roosies are the prettiest elk species as well, but they all kind of look the same… every blacktail is unique

the years I archery hunt blacktail, it would take a giant to shoot one early season, I think it’s a shame to kill one in the bland summer coat

looks like you had a great fall Mike. another big cat, congrats!!... how did your wife's hunt end up? Melissa?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk