A decade in the mountains; one man’s sheep journey.

idig4au

WKR
Doc told me climbing down would be very hard to do,, said you loose range of motion and lock out.

I think with proper and dedicated physical therapy, you will be good to go. My old man just had his knee replaced ealier this year and his range of motion is as good, if not better than his other knee. He's motoring all over the place hiking in the hills right now. I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet :)

Daniel_M

WKR
Story time with Steve has always been a favorite of mine. Few people can portray their adventures with words and photography like Mr Steve does. Long before I ever had the pleasure of hitting the back country with this guy, I would read every single post about his adventures. Certainly been a true pleasure, to say the least. Lots of wisdom to be had in all your reads.

325 wsm

FNG
Learning how to sheep hunt definitely involves a lot of trial and error. Great in-depth write up. I definitely agree that you might think you know how to hunt ……….and then you go sheep hunting.

PaPaFrank

FNG
Thanks for taking us along on your sheep hunting adventures. You certainly
have a gift for writing and story telling!

johnnylaw

Lil-Rokslider
Really enjoyed reading this. Thank you for taking the time to post up all this information and tell about hard learned lessons. I can only hope to take sheep one day

John

bergnp

FNG
Simply amazing stories and memories. The pictures are worth a thousand words. You have a novel here man. Thank you.

Wanabe

FNG
WOW what great post!!!!
I learned a lot from the info you included with your post.
I will be hunting sheep for the first time at the age of 52. This is a lifelong dream to be able to do this. I will be in the Brooks Range this August.
Got my new pack ( kuiu 7200 Icon pro) a month ago and I really like it. I train with it On my regular basis.
My new rifle is almost done so I will be doing load development and tragetory validation as well as carrying it with me on my training hikes.
Thanks again for taking the time to post this and I hope all goes well with your knee.

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
WOW what great post!!!!
I learned a lot from the info you included with your post.
I will be hunting sheep for the first time at the age of 52. This is a lifelong dream to be able to do this. I will be in the Brooks Range this August.
Got my new pack ( kuiu 7200 Icon pro) a month ago and I really like it. I train with it On my regular basis.
My new rifle is almost done so I will be doing load development and tragetory validation as well as carrying it with me on my training hikes.
Thanks again for taking the time to post this and I hope all goes well with your knee.

Thanks for the kind words,, wish you the very best hunt.

Still milking my knee,, my son and I will be sheep hunting the Brooks this fall as well. Hoping to get my son his first ram this fall.

Wanabe

FNG
I won this hunt a the hunting expo in Salt Lake this winter. No way I would be able to afford this otherwise. Hope the luck holds.
I will be in the ANWR with an outfitter. Don't hold that against me:)
Always wished to live in Alaska but life took over.
With the info from your post I ordered a bino pack from Alaska Guide Creations and plan on getting 2 bivy sacks from Ti Goat. Found out they are made a hour drive south of me.
Got a sleeping bag from Kuiu. Cut the weight by half compared to the old one.

Keep smilin

I won this hunt a the hunting expo in Salt Lake this winter. No way I would be able to afford this otherwise. Hope the luck holds.
I will be in the ANWR with an outfitter. Don't hold that against me:)
Always wished to live in Alaska but life took over.
With the info from your post I ordered a bino pack from Alaska Guide Creations and plan on getting 2 bivy sacks from Ti Goat. Found out they are made a hour drive south of me.
Got a sleeping bag from Kuiu. Cut the weight by half compared to the old one.

Keep smilin

Who is the outfitter you are hunting with?

Ray

WKR
Bristol Bay Outfitters

make sure you talk with them about a combo griz and sheep hunt. You will be in the far eastern edge of ANWR. There will be plenty of barren ground griz around. If you can swing the cost of the extra critter do it, but sheep first.

Wanabe

FNG
I already did. He dosent have any grizz tags left. Still thinking about the caribou which he will do on a trophy fee basis. I will have a wolf tag in my pocket also. First and foremost is the sheep!! Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread.

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Hope everyone's preseason preps are going well. My Son and I just about have all our gear and stuff ready, going to try to squeeze in one last hunt. Will be nice to have young blood along to help out his old man. He will be packing a bow and I will be batting clean up. :)

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's great Steve! I'm sure you guys will have a blast no matter the outcome. I trust you'll have a well documented and photographed write up on your return?