A Different Colorado OTC Thread

tigb27

FNG
The more you put in the more you get out. Take ever hardship as a lesson and remember those

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Great question. And when it comes to whitetail you are looking at things correctly.

One thing I had to learn was that with ELK it’s much more about pressure then biology. Especially in Colorado. By late September in Colorado the majority of elk are high where you can’t get to and completely nocturnal.

Ive hunted the elk open a few times and it was very eye opening. The elk were where they should be on the opener and by 2 days later they were completely gone.

shadow24

FNG
This is all great. I’m in the exact same boat as the OP. Thanks for all the info so far. My 2 cents- with what little bit I’ve seen on this sight so far, you all seem a bit more professional and genuine than, say, OTHER forum-style websites. Thanks for that too.

wre280

FNG
biggest recommendation i can give is learn to read topos and slope degree. theres nothing worst than having big plans and marking up maps, and having the realization you can't do that when you actually see it. gaia gps has a good slope degree layer that will help map out tracks you can possiblt take to get into spots you think are good.

dany4585

FNG
biggest recommendation i can give is learn to read topos and slope degree. theres nothing worst than having big plans and marking up maps, and having the realization you can't do that when you actually see it. gaia gps has a good slope degree layer that will help map out tracks you can possiblt take to get into spots you think are good.

I’d like to add to this point above - last year was my first western archery elk hunt. 100% agree on reading topos and being realistic with time / level of commitment / conditioning. Last, I think I under valued foot health. I have hiked a lot, but it’s very different off trail side hilling in sweaty socks. This fall I’m going in with taped up feet first day of hunting, focusing on spots on my feet where I got hot spots last year. Luckily, my feet held up last year, but it could have gone bad if I had some bad luck. And I want to minimize that risk this year. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadow24

FNG
I’d like to add to this point above - last year was my first western archery elk hunt. 100% agree on reading topos and being realistic with time / level of commitment / conditioning. Last, I think I under valued foot health. I have hiked a lot, but it’s very different off trail side hilling in sweaty socks. This fall I’m going in with taped up feet first day of hunting, focusing on spots on my feet where I got hot spots last year. Luckily, my feet held up last year, but it could have gone bad if I had some bad luck. And I want to minimize that risk this year. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that’s a great point. Is regular ol’ “Mole Skin” brand tape good enough for the hot spots or do you all recommend something better?

Steve1662

FNG
Same boat... planning 1st archery elk this fall. The "Welcome to the addiction!" comment really resonated with me. Though addicted may be an understatement for where I am at. So thankful for this community and how much can be learned here.

One piece I'll add is get comfortable with whatever mapping app your going to run and make sure all areas you might hunt are downloaded and available offline. I've found HuntStand to be the best bang for the buck and the satellite maps are so much better then onX.

Best of luck and train hard!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
That ecology book Would be great if there was no hunting pressure.

Hunter pressure is the number one factor you have to consider, plan your hunt around that.

-

^Yep. Figuring out where NOT to hunt is as valuable to me as dropping the “Sexy Basin #1” pin on the GPS...

...My tip: Cross reference your Base Map or On-X, e-scouting efforts with different maps/websites that cater to non-hunters. I’m talking about mountain biking, hiking, trail running, OHV, horseback riding and backpacking in the unit you are considering hunting. You are looking for overlap between some of the “elky areas” you have identified with popular hikes, rides or camping spots. If you find some correlation my recommendation is to scratch those spots or at the very least move them to the bottom of your list. The reasoning is simple, September is one of the most popular times of year to recreate in Colorado. The mountains are bustling with activity, mostly from non-hunting users. Chances are good that “named” high mountain lake or pristine basin will have a half dozen tents complete with Nepalese prayer flags and naked Boulder-ites...

The spots I love are obscure and “un-sexy” to the majority of folks (especially when you look at them from a satellite). As other have said, you probably would walk or drive right past them.

Good luck.

Also, if it looks at all steep online, be prepared for it to be an absolute crusher in real life. I can't tell you how many people I've met that physically exhaust themselves just trying to get to the place where they want to camp, let alone hunt. Then, they're too exhausted to hunt well (which takes much more energy than the hike in). I know you say you're in great physical shape and have tons of experience with heavy packs. If the terrain look at all steep where you choose, be prepared for it to be your greatest physical test yet. Most of the people I meet deep in the backcountry look like they're in top physical condition. Yet, because they exhaust themselves on the hike in, their hunt turns into a campout, then they leave 3 or 4 days early, physically exhausted, without ever having a real intentional shot opportunity.
Huntsman21 and the others all have a lot of great points. This one re fitness and terrain is memorable for me. I've lived in the Seattle area for over 25 years now and have climbed a few of the glaciated peaks, including Rainier. Someone once asked "oh my gosh, wasn't that hard". My answer was "it was a walk in the park compared to elk hunting (the way we hunt); nothing I've done is as hard as that".
  • Find a spot you like and return for several years. We've hunted one area for 25 years and we know it so well we know the easy ways in and out and we can usually hike back to camp cross country in the dark with minimal concerns - that help a TON.
  • Over time you learn where the elk are likely to be and that saves a ton of time walking around somewhat aimlessly (you should never be aimless).
  • Since I'm getting old(er). I spend a lot of money on lighter equipment!! And always have gear to survive the night. Works for me..
  • The most accurate advice I’d ever been given is “You can’t kill elk if you’re not where they’re at”. Such ridiculously simple advice, yet you’ll find many people hunting elk who can’t seem to find elk. It’s perpetual misfortune.​

I’ve hunted elk now for 13yrs and even encountered this last year in an area I know extremely well. Worked my arse off for 2 days in areas generally packed with elk and saw absolutely nothing for fresh sign or animal sightings, aside from one cow. I had to make a big change in strategy and realized elk had mostly moved into private ground. I ended up hunting that private boundary for the rest of the trip and was fortunate to kill my bull a couple of days later. Still a very tough hunt given the circumstances, but had I followed my previous experience and just stayed where the elk “should have been”, I’m certain I wouldn’t have ended up with an elk. That plan was not as enjoyable as the one I set out on... but it’s what was necessary to be successful. Another year, another lesson learned.

Elk hunting is tough, and from my perspective, it’s getting tougher each year. More an more pressure means areas I’ve had good success in have a new set of rules each year. I come into an area one year with 2 other people hunting it, and sometimes I find 20 trucks at the trailhead. No exaggeration... you may end up on your plan C starting on day one... so plan for multiple options.

I’ve gotten myself into some really stupid situations by seeking to get to a specific “perfect spot”. I don’t suppose I’ll ever get over this aspect... there’s always something in my head telling me there must be elk over that next ridge. I suppose that drive also leads to my success, but make sure you’re equipped to go over that next ridge if you so choose. Some of those paths lead you on overnight adventures, and it’s a truly crappy situation trying to pack a bull up the back side of a mountain in pouring rain at 3am because you didn’t bring your overnight gear.

Go with a partner on your first trip. You’ll enjoy the adventure more together, and have somebody to share in the successes and lessons learned.

Shoot whatever makes you happy, but be realistic with your goals. A 300” bull on OTC is tough to come by in my experiences. A rag horn may just be the biggest bull you encounter, but they can come in on calls with as much rage as a giant herd bull. If a rutting bull comes in screaming to me in September on an OTC hunt, I’m pulling the trigger... that experience is all I’m after, no matter the size of the bull. On a LE tag, I’m afforded the option to be more selective and still have high odds of success.

Bring an inReach to make sure those you care about back home have guaranteed contact with you on the daily.
    Great advice here from Eltac also..and my experience resembles a lot of Eltaco's insights.... It can be REAL HARD to move camp because you figure you'll lose most of a day doing so, but everyone says "if you aren't getting into elk...move". Hunting out of a backpack makes it easier to move camp.

^Yep. Figuring out where NOT to hunt is as valuable to me as dropping the “Sexy Basin #1” pin on the GPS...

...My tip: Cross reference your Base Map or On-X, e-scouting efforts with different maps/websites that cater to non-hunters. I’m talking about mountain biking, hiking, trail running, OHV, horseback riding and backpacking in the unit you are considering hunting. You are looking for overlap between some of the “elky areas” you have identified with popular hikes, rides or camping spots. If you find some correlation my recommendation is to scratch those spots or at the very least move them to the bottom of your list. The reasoning is simple, September is one of the most popular times of year to recreate in Colorado. The mountains are bustling with activity, mostly from non-hunting users. Chances are good that “named” high mountain lake or pristine basin will have a half dozen tents complete with Nepalese prayer flags and naked Boulder-ites...

The spots I love are obscure and “un-sexy” to the majority of folks (especially when you look at them from a satellite). As other have said, you probably would walk or drive right past them.

Good luck.
"... Nepalese prayer flags and naked Boulder-ites..." 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I'm dead!! That one killed me! So damn funny... and true!

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
I know 471 well and have some knowledge of 43.

I suggested 471 as a possibility to someone last year and they went for it based on their assessment that access would be relatively easy. Access seemed to be their main criteria. It was a bust for him because 1) monster snowstorm right before he arrived (that is a known risk in that unit and at least in the 1980's hunter success was low in later seasons due to early and deep snow - that is what the local biologist told me in the 1980's). and 2) anecdotally, the pressure in the spot he hit was way up over what it was like when I hunted the unit frequently 20+ years ago. Our focus in that unit was early season mule deer, but we typically saw a few elk. I remember one bull with an arrow sticking out of its shoulder....it appeared not to have penetrated the scapula.

An issue with 471 where we hunted is that given the topography, somewhat light pressure can push the elk out or into hard to hunt areas (steep, cliffy). Nowadays I try to find areas that if hunting pressure is high, I can move out a bit.
Wapiti, do you still hunt 471 at all? I have been hunting this unit and have had a ton of fun there. Very unforgiving. Would you be up to chat about the unit? Thanks!