A different NL Pure question

RussDXT

WKR
So I got a set of 10x42 Pures and am very impressed with them.

Two questions:

1. How do you all clean them? Is it alright to use the Costco lense cleaning kit with a lens pen or do I need to buy their $60 kit?

2. Does the forehead rest make that much difference? I wear a hat while hunting and they will spend most of the time on a tripod, so I’m a bit reluctant to shell out the money for the rest.

Thanks!

fatrascal

WKR
Swarovski does not recommend using a lens brush. The costco kit probably uses tissue or wet wipes also not recommended by swarovski. But personally I do use a lens brush and wet wipes because swaros cleaning paper is just that, a paper which makes it hard to use. I look at it this way, it will take 20 years to notice any difference in optical quality and thats if you are cleaning all the time. At that point I would just get the lenses replaced. Also, I only clean the lenses about twice a year.
Goodluck with those NL Pures. I hope to have a pair one day. They are amazing. Fatrascal.

I use a Leupold lens brush pen with my NL 10. It works fine and is easier to carry than the Swaro bar of soap in the field.

I bought the head rest and to me it is well worth it, I can hold the NL 10 much more still with the head rest than without it.

Yes, I have worn a baseball cap and Stetson and had no problems using them with the forehead rest while handheld. I have never used the NLs on a tripod as I have a Meostar 15x56 HD that I use for tripod work. The forehead rest pops out easily so it would be easy to remove it if it gets in the way while on a tripod.

I don't know how much use the headrest would be if you are going to use the NL on a tripod. For me the big value of the headrest is being able to hold a 10x42 as still as my 7x42. I try not to touch the binos on a tripod when I look through them. The headrest has several different adjustments so you could retract it all the way back if it gets in the way on a tripod.

Last edited:

Q child

WKR
I like to use air to clean them. Get the air gun for your compressor or get a can of dust-off. I just blast mine off once or twice a month. Also, I'll run them under the faucet then shake them off. Once or twice a year I'll use a cleaning tissue with a little cleaning solution. I try to touch the lenses as little as I can. I won't clean them in the field - I'll wait till I get home or to camp so I can handle with a little more care. That soap that came with them has been in the box since the day I bought them. I wouldn't buy a Swarovski lens cleaning kit for $60.
I've owned the forehead rest since I bought my 10x42 NLs. I don't like it at all, and think its a gimmick. Some people really like it though. It would work with a hat though if you don't wear your hat real low on your face.

The FHR will be slightly above your eyebrows. Unless you wear your hat with the brim/fabric intersection down on your eyebrows, it won't be a problem.

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR
Would I still be able to utilize a medium adak bino harness?

Thanks for all the answers so far, this forum is the best!

Q child

WKR
I can't speak to that specific bino harness, but I bet it will work.
The NLs with the forehead rest fit nicely in the Alaska Guide Creations Small. And are just barely too big for the Marsupial Small. They fit without the rest in the Marsupial Small no problem. I bet they'll be comfortable in a medium.

ILPete

FNG
Ideally the lens should never be touched. Obviously that's impossible. I clean my binoculars (Nikon HGs, Leica Trinovids, Zeiss FLs, Swaro ELs) as little as possible. When I do I use a lens pen brush to knock the big stuff off, (air would also work) then I wash them in the sink. That's right, the kitchen sink. Run a slight, GENTLE, stream of lukewarm water, rinse the lens first to get more particles off, then use a small dab of diluted Dawn on my finger and lightly rub it over the wet lens. Rinse off, shake to get droplets off, then use clean cotton or lens cloth to dry. If stubborn smearing remains I use lens spray from my Optometrist's office. There's also a product called ROR (Residual Oil Remover) that some folks swear by. Cleaning the ELs is nice since the eyecups are removable. Otherwise push/screw the eyecups in for cleaning then pull them out to dry.

People freak out when I tell them I clean my bins in the sink, but I've done it for years with high quality, waterproof bins without any issue.

Q child

WKR
I am going with my buddies theory on why you get a bar of soap with your NLs…because “Swarovski knows your going to be broke as **** and homeless after buying them.”
Haha. After sleeping on the streets you’ll need that little brush too. Clean out under your nails before you go back to work.

ThinkLeicaBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I rinse the lenses under water to remove any dust or dirt on the glass. I take a new lense cloth, dry the lense, and then apply Swarovski lense cleaning solvent. Wipe with the same cloth and then throw that cloth in the trash. I only use the cloth one time to prevent any residual dirt or dust from scratching the lense on future cleaning. I scratched a 95mm objective once and so I called Swaro to see how I’m supposed to do it!!