A do it all backpack.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a backpack that can cover anything from a 10-14 day sheep hunt down to a fairly manageable day hunting pack. Mainly I do blacktail in SE AK to moose and sheep up north. This means indo pack the animals out. Ice mainly been looking at kuiu and stone glacier.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

The sky talus 6900 looks interesting, terminus,

I appreciate your input!

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
Seek outside of your flavor. I just got a goshawk 6300 with side zip. My hunts are similar to yours and so far I'm loving the new bag. You will appreciate the waterproof ultra material in SEAK. It's light and compresses well.

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru fulcrum…. I own this pack and love it. Have day hunted with it more than I have taken extended trips. But when you’re ready to load it up, it’s huge. For long trips I like to add a lid though

Kifaru ma deuce, I own it’s little brother the 44 mag and love this pack too. Easy to organize. Can zip down zippers on both sides and have great access to main bag. And no other pockets are necessary unless you just want a tad more organization.

My brother has the SG sky guide. And he uses this pack on every hunt he goes on. Packs down small. But can get huge when necessary.

I stick with Kifaru just because it fits me well and I like the company. Different strokes for different folks though.

sr80

WKR
Any of the big SG bags i would say. SG bags are the only bags ive found that a large expedition type bag can compress down into a nice enough package to be used for a day bag

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Seek Outside. Any of their larger packs would fit your bill. I run a Unaweep 6300 with the new UltraPE fabric. Pack folds up to nothing and weighs around 3 pounds empty. Waterproof and more durable than cordura packs.

In the end, run what fits you best. Takes a little time to figure out. I’ve tried Kuiu, Stone Glacier, and Kifaru. SO works best for me.

TJ M

FNG
I don't see too many people throwing this suggestion out there, but I would absolutely recommend Alps Outdoorz. I have the Commander X + Pack and it has been amazing. I've used it on many hunts (Elk, Antelope, Mule Deer) and have loaded it with more than 100 lbs many times and it has never failed. Awesome product.

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I don't see too many people throwing this suggestion out there, but I would absolutely recommend Alps Outdoorz. I have the Commander X + Pack and it has been amazing. I've used it on many hunts (Elk, Antelope, Mule Deer) and have loaded it with more than 100 lbs many times and it has never failed. Awesome product.
Thank you for your suggestion.

I'm sort of locked in on a stone glacier. Spoke with their excellent customer service. He recommended the sky talus 6900. Which I will prob end up going with. Seems big enough to handle long hunts and compresses for shorter hunts. I've tried the frame and seems to fit me really well.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
See if you can try out several packs with 60 or more pounds in them.

My pack is about 15 years old and technology has surpassed it so similar packs are now 10 pounds less when empty. I do love the fit which is so good that it becomes one with my back. I almost traded up to a new pack two years ago but decided I was done with multi-day hike hunts far from the trailhead. Was worth every penny I paid.

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
See if you can try out several packs with 60 or more pounds in them.

My pack is about 15 years old and technology has surpassed it so similar packs are now 10 pounds less when empty. I do love the fit which is so good that it becomes one with my back. I almost traded up to a new pack two years ago but decided I was done with multi-day hike hunts far from the trailhead. Was worth every penny I paid.
I'm in Alaska so sort of limited in what I can try out. I tired my father in law SG and it fit great.

The barneys is a great pack like you said. But the weight penalty is pretty severe. Nothing packs a load like it tho. Only time I would use it is for a moose hunt and my father in law has one that I can borrow.

I have a SG xcurve frame a 6900 and solo bag...while is does collapse down nice the 6900 is a little much for day/overnight hunts IMHO. I would start with the 6900 and pick up a smaller bag if needed. Solo bags come up regularly in the classifieds.

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I have a SG xcurve frame a 6900 and solo bag...while is does collapse down nice the 6900 is a little much for day/overnight hunts IMHO. I would start with the 6900 and pick up a smaller bag if needed. Solo bags come up regularly in the classifieds.
Thank you. Yeah that's what I was thinking. My father in law just got the Evo 30/45 for a day/couple of days pack. Seems like a hell of a pack. How big is the solo bag.

Is the 6900 still big even when you take the lid of for shorter hunts?

Thank you. Yeah that's what I was thinking. My father in law just got the Evo 30/45 for a day/couple of days pack. Seems like a hell of a pack. How big is the solo bag.

I think the solo is like 3300 IIRC. For me the 6900 is a little big for day hunts, you may have a different opinion...thats why I suggested starting with the 6900, may not bother you at all.

Fedster

FNG
Get an external frame pack, and different bags for different use. I have a Seek Outside revolution frame and a few bags, and all my uses are covered (including EDC).

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have the SG 7900 which is an awesome bag. It is a bit big if you are just heading out for the day but it’s not too bad. I have it set up now with a ruck plate attached to the upper part of the inside of the bag for working out and the rest is completely cinched down. I had the solo 3300 and wish I kept it, I’d like to get another at some point.

I’ll be using the 7900 for goat hunting in august and pretty much every hunt other than moose.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Seek Outside Lanner, Exo 6400, Stone Glacer. Pick one of those three brands in a 6000 cu plus bag.

From personal experience, the large Exo bag still works well as a day pack. Same for the SO Lanner.

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider

The Solo is 3,600. I have one and believe it’s perfect for day trips and 1 or 2 nights. But that may be different for you since where I hunt CA, ID, NV, is much different than AK.