A do it all backpack.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If you are in the Anchorage/Valley area, I can let you try a Seek Outside and Exo. Can put a 60 lb sand bag on each and we can go for a ruck. Barney's has SG bags if you want to get your hands on one and compare all three.

Edit: Rereading your post I'm guessing you are in the SE.

wceatmon

FNG
One more vote here for the Seek Outside Lanner. I've been using it for over a year now for everything from a daypack in the whitetail woods to a week long backpacking in the Sierras. Buy once, cry once.

I don't see too many people throwing this suggestion out there, but I would absolutely recommend Alps Outdoorz. I have the Commander X + Pack and it has been amazing. I've used it on many hunts (Elk, Antelope, Mule Deer) and have loaded it with more than 100 lbs many times and it has never failed. Awesome product.

Either ALPS Outdoorz packframe with bag or Alaska Frontier Gear packframe with bag. Best two options.

Russell99

FNG
I have a badlands Carbon ox for sale. It’s brand new I’ve never used it but seems like it would be good for short or longer trips. Pack is not too big but nice meatshelf bag

JStol5

WKR
Thank you. Yeah that's what I was thinking. My father in law just got the Evo 30/45 for a day/couple of days pack. Seems like a hell of a pack. How big is the solo bag.

Is the 6900 still big even when you take the lid of for shorter hunts?
I just picked up the solo for a day/overnight/weekend pack. Planning on picking up a sky talus down the road for trips longer than 3 days.

mjh

FNG
I'm a bit old school here, my do it all pack it my Kifaru G2 Zulu. Sure I've got a couple of others that work, but the Zulu fits into more uses and is almost bomb proof. YMMV.

I always find this question interesting. Big enough for an extended hunt is always going to be a bit of a trade off when you want to use it as a day pack. Some packs compress better than others and I've found my Exo 5500 can be really good as a day pack if I want to cinch it all down.

When some of the big brands allow for swapping bags out on the same frame, you don't need to make the compromise unless you really feel the need. I currently have a Reckoning and frame on the way and I'm looking forward to using it for extended trips. It'll probably be good as a day pack as well, but if for whatever reason it's a pain in the butt, I'll just grab a Stryker XL or Hellbender.

Alternatively, you could always get an Exo 6400 and then an 1800 bag by itself.

Most of it really comes down to what you need in both packs and how you want to 'run' it. For me, even a day pack needs to be capable of hauling out some enormous amounts of meat, so the frame is more important than anything else.

I’ve got a 1st gen Unaweep 4800 side zip that’s my go to. I’ve had no issues packing caribou, Muskox and mule deer with it.

OP
NilsBackstrom

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
To fill everybody in. To start with I like to thank everybody for the tips and suggestions. I ended up getting the Sky talus 6900. So far I have only done 1 overnight hunts and a day hunt. But I will say that it does fill all my needs. With the compression straps and bivy mode it gets really small, and can also carry alot of stuff for a longer hunt. I am very pleased so far and the frame fits me very well.

Been going through the same process recently and I think I've landed on the exo. I like the seek outside packs but I think the simplicity of the exo is really appealing.

I am looking for a backpack that can cover anything from a 10-14 day sheep hunt down to a fairly manageable day hunting pack. Mainly I do blacktail in SE AK to moose and sheep up north. This means indo pack the animals out. Ice mainly been looking at kuiu and stone glacier.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

The sky talus 6900 looks interesting, terminus,

I appreciate your input!
KUIU all the way. Versatility is key.

Nik

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest something from Kifaru. Their 24" frame with a Stryker XL and Camp Bag would be perfect I believe.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord