A few dumb questions about merino

Jethro

WKR
I don't care for merino when its warm. You certainly don't need it as a base layer under pants in warm temps. At 80 degrees I'd probably where my Tiburon shirt or more than likely just a cotton tee shirt.

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't care for merino when its warm. You certainly don't need it as a base layer under pants in warm temps. At 80 degrees I'd probably where my Tiburon shirt or more than likely just a cotton tee shirt.
That's interesting as the ONLY time I wear merino is when it's warm! The only advantage it has, in my opinion, is odor control. I can wear my merino's bases in September for a solid week without them smelling too bad.

Jethro

WKR
That's interesting as the ONLY time I wear merino is when it's warm! The only advantage it has, in my opinion, is odor control. I can wear my merino's bases in September for a solid week without them smelling too bad.
Yeah I do wear them in Sept and no doubt the lack of stink is a huge benefit. But there was a couple hunts in CO and NM where the afternoon Sun was just so warm I did not care for the merino at all. I felt too warm. I would carry it with to put on when Sun started setting, but hunted in a tee shirt.

I have some merino tees that I tried in Summer here in PA and hated it. I know many say it regulates temp, I just don't like it.

Any suggestions ? Any specific brands /models to avoid? Haven't considered this outside of icebreaker and smart wool.
Sitka Redline if you can find them. Can sometimes finds them on clearance on CamoFire, Hunt of the Day, Ali ton Outdoors, etc.

Champion or other brands with similar fabric work pretty well.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Agree on the above about double layers in the heat. But I'm in the camp of wearing merino as a single layer top when it is warm. I've worn the FL t-shirt and long sleeve shirt in some pretty high temps without problems.

renagde

WKR
I do have the ascent set and some kuiu Tiburon, just wanting to make sure I'm not missing an opportunity to keep even cooler, I don't tolerate heat well but I hunt in it anyway .
I think you should be fine with that then. Pickup some merino boxers from Black Ovis or something and you should be set.

bsnedeker

WKR
Agree on the above about double layers in the heat. But I'm in the camp of wearing merino as a single layer top when it is warm. I've worn the FL t-shirt and long sleeve shirt in some pretty high temps without problems.
Yep, 150 weight merino is great for warm weather. It's no warmer than my lightweight synthetics from Sitka.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There's only two reasons I wear merino base layers......they don't stink (well, some do smell like the sewer when wet)........and for moisture management........i.e. sweat. So the hotter it is, the more I want my base layers under whatever camo I'm wearing to keep the sweat off my skin. And what was said above about "the cooling effect" is true. Generally for hunting I'm wearing my camo Microtex Lite as my top layer which is very thin poly material.......generally thinner than even my synthetic base layers. So the two together work great at keeping me comfortable.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The firstlite wick hoody is my go to for hot summer hunting. It is super light weight and has even finer material in the pits which I like. I love the long sleeves and hood to get the sun off my skin. Nice for keeping bugs away without having to make noise swatting them or waving them off. I wear mine in 100+ degrees no issues.

Bottom half I use the Canis Alpine Light pants with regular underwear, and light weight merino socks. The tall lightweight merino socks are nice in case I get into posion oak or ticks and need to tuck the pants into the socks.

Shraggs

WKR
I never hunt without a merino base, scent control reasonable sweat Mgt. That’s my preference over synthetic.

For really warm I have a older ice breaker set of short sleeve t shirt and short boxers. Pretty sure it’s less than 150 weight.

Definitely feels cooler than no base layer under a hunting shirt.