A good place to live in Utah?

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all,
Just out of curiosity, I am wondering about the possibility of what might be a good place in Utah to live for a young hunter/fisherman? I like to stay active, and I enjoy the outdoors. Big cities are not my thing. My home state of Colorado has had its’ share of issues the past few years with all the migrants moving in and turning this into a ‘Blue’ state . Any advice is very appreciated!!

MTtrout

WKR
Lived in Utah (SLC) for 6 years. The state has everything to offer from hunting/fishing to every kind of outdoor adventure. Had a great time exploring the state and won’t trade those years for anything. That said, I have zero interest in moving back. The Wasatch Front is obviously out due to population size and many small town would be ruled out due to the high percentage of Mormons. If you’re LDS or someone who wouldn’t be bothered by it then have at it, Utah’s your oyster.

I explored all over the state but didn’t spend much time in the small towns so the locals will give you better advice but I thought Heber was a nice centralized place. Relatively away from the Front but still close to the amenities of the city, skiing, extended archery season, some of the best waterfowl hunting out west, climbing,… It is also close to the Unitas for hunting bulls (which can be underrated imo), high population elk units for cows, easy to draw deer units, and some great stream and reservoir fishing within an hour drive or so. Plus if you are single there’s enough girls around where the picking wouldn’t be as slim as other towns.

CorbLand

WKR
Utah is big with a vast amount of varying terrains. To narrow it down, are you thinking N. Utah, S. Utah, Central, Utah? What is small to you? What about your personal life? Married, kids, job, etc.

Those would help narrow it down.

Last edited:
OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Utah is big with a vast amount of varying terrains. To narrow it down, are you thinking N. Utah, S. Utah, Central, Utah? What is small to you? What about your personal life? Married, kids, job, etc.

Those would help narrow it down.
I’m working on a masters certificate in supply chain management and I’m single and I have no children. I grew up in a town of about 20 thousand so that’s small to me. And I’m not really sure of north, south, or central utah- just in general curious about communities there and what they offer

CorbLand

WKR
I’m working on a masters certificate in supply chain management and I’m single and I have no children. I grew up in a town of about 20 thousand so that’s small to me. And I’m not really sure of north, south, or central utah- just in general curious about communities there and what they offer
Plenty of places in Utah would fit that definition of small town.

I wont give specifics on which town but general for the state.

Hunting can be good in Utah but OTC options are limited and the draw system is pretty clogged up. It takes a long time to get tags in Utah but if you are willing to deal with crappy season dates and hunt with a bow, you can get elk tags each year. Deer is all draw and some units are 0 point units but most are trending quickly to being a 1 point unit.

Your career path may force you more towards the bigger cities (Wasatch front) but I don't know much about supply chain management and what that entails. I would start there as its pretty hard to do much without a job. Utah has one of the best economies in the US right now and its come with a cost. Cost of living has sky rocketed and its not showing any signs of turning around. People want to live here.

The LDS religion is a big, very big, part of Utah. It dominates a lot, so you have accept that when moving here. The bigger the city, the less obvious it is. If you accept that and treat people with respect, you really shouldnt have any problems.

Now, if you single and looking for a SO and your not LDS, that can be difficult around most of Utah. Smaller towns are going to have a limited supply of girls anyways. The trend around here is to get married young (18-21), so if you don't get in early, it can be difficult.

If you can take that in stride, I would start looking at areas that have demand for you profession and go from there.

Utah is a trash state, the state government is something like 90% made up of cult members. Yes, the LDS church is a cult.

How does Colorado “turning blue” actually effect you? I live on the Western Slope, so I ignore most of that rabble. Colorado is still a fantastic state, but if you really want to leave go to Wyoming not Utah. I would probably be in Lander if I had an issue with “an influx of blue”.

Goatboy22

FNG
If you're on the Front Range in Colorado, and moving to the Wasatch Front in Utah, you're jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Quit worrying about the politics and live your life! Utah is the 2nd driest state in the US, so when folks in Utah brag about the fishing, I figure they haven't been anywhere else. Plus, those HUSHIN dudes seem to always be hunting in Colorado....

Colorado gets considerably less blue once you get away from the front range. Also considerably tougher to make a living in your field in a smaller town.

I have been here for 6.5 years. I live in Sandy.

I can't wait to leave in a few years. Honestly, if I were in Colorado, I wouldn't trade it for Utah. If I were on the front in Colorado, I'd either move to the west slope, or Arizona, or Idaho, or Wyoming.

Super tag

WKR
You’ll be just fine in Utah. I grew up in a non-Mormon household in a small town of less than 6,000 people. We have never had any problems, and were as much a part of the community as any other religion was. It’s ridiculous that so many people, that think they know, put down Utah and the people. Some of my best friends are Mormon and they’re great friends.

There is a lot of opportunity in Utah, hunt, fish, winter sports, big business, technology hub, vast terrains of all types. People in Utah are just like people in Co. or anywhere else. There’s not as much religious domination in day to day life as people would have you think, divisive and naive comments to the contrary are just not accurate.

i wouldn‘t hesitate to move there if that’s where you want to go. it’s a great place to live. These days every state has its issues, and so do it’s people.

Lived in Utah (SLC) for 6 years. The state has everything to offer from hunting/fishing to every kind of outdoor adventure. Had a great time exploring the state and won’t trade those years for anything. That said, I have zero interest in moving back. The Wasatch Front is obviously out due to population size and many small town would be ruled out due to the high percentage of Mormons. If you’re LDS or someone who wouldn’t be bothered by it then have at it, Utah’s your oyster.

I explored all over the state but didn’t spend much time in the small towns so the locals will give you better advice but I thought Heber was a nice centralized place. Relatively away from the Front but still close to the amenities of the city, skiing, extended archery season, some of the best waterfowl hunting out west, climbing,… It is also close to the Unitas for hunting bulls (which can be underrated imo), high population elk units for cows, easy to draw deer units, and some great stream and reservoir fishing within an hour drive or so. Plus if you are single there’s enough girls around where the picking wouldn’t be as slim as other towns.
This guy has it right. I lived in Sandy Utah (greater SLC area) for 6 years and the bowhunting is great, the fish really are huge in some of the reservoirs and there is plenty to do outdoors.
The LDS will be oppressive, obnoxious and downright mean to you if you are not LDS and it won't matter how nice you try to be towards them - that really can be an issue. That is my lived experience and I am not alone in that by far. Employment pays less there than other places I've lived for the same work. Utah also has a huge depression problem - so much so it was in the news quite often when I lived there. So it will be what you make of it - even more so than other states imo. I would go back for the snow sports and the long Wasatch bow season but I probably would not live there again. I am in CO up in the hills - maybe you just need to migrate up into the mountains a tad more. I would never live right in Denver - too populated for me.
Good luck with your search!

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
I lived in Wyoming from 2012-2018. Before living there I had a dim view of Utah, but over the years my perspective has changed.

Overall I would say that Utah has a lot to offer. Great hunting and fishing and it is within driving distance of several other great hunting states.

Generally I hate big cities. But that is where Utah is odd: Its larger cites don't feel anything like Denver, or other large cities. SLC is one of the few big cities where I could imagine living.

There are a lot of great medium sized towns/cities in Utah. Brigham City comes to mind, as does Lehi. I would steer clear of Vernal, but you might like it.

The Mormon thing is an issue that has good and bad aspects. There will be a lot of people who won't want to associate with you if you aren't mormon. On the other hand, when you start a family, you will find that the mormon kids mix freely with non mormon friends, and they tend to be the type of kids who you want your kids hanging out with(polite, respectful, and come from good homes).

I would recommend taking a few road trips and getting a feel for the different areas. Also, I would keep an open mind regarding Wyoming, Idaho and Montana. All three have a lot going for them.

Last edited: