A great article by Amy Hanneman on Hunting as a family

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome article Amy, with really practical tips. It's great to see families getting out there and hunting together!

Great article. I as a single Dad have been taking my son out since he was 3, he is 4 now. He has gone backpacking many times with me, deer hunting, duck hunting and is going elk hunting with me tomorrow. At first it was out of necessety since I have 100% custody but after doing this I can imagine not taking him. I have only been backpacking once without him and that was for the actual high buck hunt. Good tip on the clothing I recently got him gamehide waterproof realtree ap top and bottoms and he loves wearing them (my avatar pic). We have even done a 3 night pack trip where we covered over 11 miles,at 1 mph ;), and he walked most of it. A lot of people I tell are amazed that a kid his age can tolerate or even hike that much but it really hasnt been much of a problem. The people that see the little guy walking by over 6 miles from a trailhead are also pretty suprised. And although frustrating at times becasuse they go so darn slow taking a child into the woods can be so eye opening. watching how a child looks at the woods makes you realize how much you are missing.

Attachments

• Tman.jpg
    Tman.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 14
  • Tman2.jpg
    Tman2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Tman4.jpg
    Tman4.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Tman5.jpg
    Tman5.jpg