A-Hole Hunter - Gut shot elk in town

Gobbler36

WKR
If illegally shot he deserves prison in my mind if legally hunted and then ran onto private and someone got a photo than I can’t judge a man for a poor shot. Archery can be a bitch we prepare as best we can and sometimes things go sideways.
nonetheless it’s never a good sight to see an animal suffering

doesn't make sense. Gut shot but down. bitching about hunting 'in town', on 'private property'. Not enough facts in that short post. Don't even know if that pic is of the animal in question.

In my home state, archery standoffs from buildings range between 50 and 150 yards... Nothing unethical (unless it was illegal) about shooting an animal at some arbitrary distance from a house/building.

def90

WKR
Has anyone called dept of wildlife to verify that this even happened yet? So far I can only find this one facebook post which was posted by the photographer himself. Had time to go home and photoshop it first rather than just post from the scene of the crime as it happened? Why does this smell fishy?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would agree, and that might be the case.

But the op says he has ground where they are daily, and he doesn't hunt there, or allow others to.

So seems it's legal to hunt there.

Just wondering who got the story and ran with it.

Likely the op is completely right, but if it's a situation where a legal hunter just made a poor shot, while I don't condone taking chances like that, I'll admit to holding a different opinion than to just skewer his ass.
Guess you missed the point about that particular elk not being on the OPs property, and being on private posted ground.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Scorpion

WKR
Crazy about the 1/4 mile rule for archery in Arizona. Can you target practice within 1/4 mile of a structure?

Not my place to pass judgement without further details. Crappy situation either way.

BBob

WKR
Crazy about the 1/4 mile rule for archery in Arizona. Can you target practice within 1/4 mile of a structure?
No hunting withing 1/4 mile of an occupied structure without permission. There may be local ordinances that cover shooting archery in town so you'd have to look that up for your location.

Guess you missed the point about that particular elk not being on the OPs property, and being on private posted ground.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I guess I did. It says it was posted property, says nothing of the hunter. Could be they own said posted property, or had permission on it.

There's no link to anything other than a picture of facebook post.

All of my property is posted, doesn't mean it's not hunted.

TheCougar

WKR
In the pinetop instance, the bull was shot legally, on f.s., more than a quarter mile away from any structure. The shot was bad, the bull ran into the houses and bedded down. When g&f showed up, the officer told the hunter( client) to put the bull out of his misery and then cited him for shooting within the 1/4 mile( like, literally in a back yard), and confiscated the bull. The guide was found innocent of all charges, but the charge against the client stuck. Just had to throw that out there. This sounds like a different situation. And as far as I can tell, no golf course was involved, lol.
Pretty sure that’s called entrapment.

OXN939

WKR
Pretty sure you are correct in your assessment.

Was just wondering if anyone was going to mention entrapment. So, to make sure I'm on the right sheet of music- a warden told the client to do something, and then cited him for it? If so, that's arguably the worst part of an all around messy situation... and it would probably be very easy for that dude to get a very good lawyer.

inyago

FNG
It does not matter if your good lawyer gets you off, when he quickly charges 1-2-3000 for his service..
That's how it works, its like a fine without being fined.

SWOHTR

WKR
It does not matter if your good lawyer gets you off, when he quickly charges 1-2-3000 for his service..
That's how it works, its like a fine without being fined.

Except for that whole “convicted of poaching” charge you have to carry with you the rest of your life…but y’know, whatever…

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
To add to what AZ8 stated its also illegal to road hunt in Arizona. In Arizona you dont have to shoot from the truck to be charged with road hunting.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
^^^ Yes to that. Example: If you are up on a hill glassing and you spot an animal you want to hunt, you get into your vehicle and drive closer, get out to kill or even attempt to kill that animal you are now guilty of a violation. At one point years ago people were getting cited for this. I don’t know if it continued or if it continues to happen today.

From AZGFD Hunt Regs:

Take/Hunt From A Vehicle
(A.R.S. 17-301 B, R12-4-319) Pages 85 and 107
No person may take wildlife from a motor vehicle, watercraft or aircraft, except as per- mitted by Commission Order, and under the provisions of the Challenged Hunter Access Mobility Permit Commission Rule (R12- 4-217). “Take,” as defined by law, includes pursuing, shooting, hunting and killing wildlife. You are unlawfully using a vehi- cle to take wildlife if you intentionally drive around until you see the animal you wish to harvest and then make an attempt to take. “Road hunting” is illegal; so is pursuing wild- life with a vehicle, chasing or heading off moving wildlife with a vehicle, and driv-
ing off-road to get closer to wildlife. You do not have to shoot from the vehicle to be in violation.

Last edited:
^^^ Yes to that. Example: If you are up on a hill glassing and you spot an animal you want to hunt, you get into your vehicle and drive closer, get out to kill or even attempt to kill that animal you are now guilty of a violation. At one point years ago people were getting cited for this. I don’t know if it continued or if it continues to happen today.

From AZGFD Hunt Regs:

Take/Hunt From A Vehicle
(A.R.S. 17-301 B, R12-4-319) Pages 85 and 107
No person may take wildlife from a motor vehicle, watercraft or aircraft, except as per- mitted by Commission Order, and under the provisions of the Challenged Hunter Access Mobility Permit Commission Rule (R12- 4-217). “Take,” as defined by law, includes pursuing, shooting, hunting and killing wildlife. You are unlawfully using a vehi- cle to take wildlife if you intentionally drive around until you see the animal you wish to harvest and then make an attempt to take. “Road hunting” is illegal; so is pursuing wild- life with a vehicle, chasing or heading off moving wildlife with a vehicle, and driv-
ing off-road to get closer to wildlife. You do not have to shoot from the vehicle to be in violation.

There was a kifarucast episode with the guys from big chino outfitters who got cited for something similar i think? My memory is a bit fuzzy so maybe the wires are getting crossed but I thought it had something to do with this rule.

BBob

WKR
Wouldn’t doubt it. I first heard of it happening to antelope hunters about 30 years or so ago. Back around that same time period I was advised by an officer in Unit 1 that drove up to check me while I was glassing elk that if I drove my truck down to hunt anything I glassed I could get cited. As to that scenario today it’s super common to have half a dozen or more ATV’s up on a glassing hill texting their hunters about what they see or don’t see that it kind of makes the pursuit by vehicle moot in a lot of cases. Fair chase ethics continues to slip.

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
Can't answer as to if they shot this one on or off private but a number of years ago AZ added the 1/4 mi limit to apply to archery. This was a response to urban archery getting out of hand and far too many hunter to resident conflicts and shot animals ending up in peoples yards.

Rule 12-4-303 that prohibit discharging a firearm or archery equipment with a ¼ mile of an occupied residence without the resident's permission.
Says “discharge”. Does this mean target practice? Shooting an animal? How is it worded? Surely one can still “discharge” his archery gear, no?

BBob

WKR
If you’re gonna target practice and are discreet you’re likely gonna be fine but if you get busted shooting an animal or at an animal within that 1/4 mile you probably aren’t gonna be fine. AZGFD has been a near zero tolerance agency for a long time. In AZ it’s up to the officers discretion as to if you should be referred to the commission or not. If you are referred to the commission you’ll more than likely lose your hunting, fishing, trapping privileges for 5 years. If that happens you’ll also lose your privileges in the something like 48 other partner states. Basically don’t do it if you want to keep hunting.

Last edited:

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
So if I’m reading this right, you are saying, legally, you can’t even target practice by a building? If so, that effed up. That would need some pushback.