A Hunting Adventure

DMurphy

FNG
If this kind of thing is not allowed, please delete with no hard feelings. I am in the process of preparing for my first elk hunt and my first hunting trip in the West. By trade, I am an attorney whose business has endured a significant decline due to COVID restrictions on court operations and medical facilities (home to most of my depositions). I have to find some kind of creative outlet, so I decided to start a blog that walks through each and every aspect of planning my 2021 hunt. There will be many things I do wrong along the way and I welcome any feedback on suggestions for changes in course either for this hunt or one in the future. Hopefully some will find this interesting and helpful.

Without further adieu:

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Nice start! You seem to be a guy who likes to plan and figure things out. To me, that is in direct conflict with hiring a guide. You can plan for the lunch hour and go hunt with a guide tomorrow. Think about DIY. You have already joined this forum where there is more than a little expertise on how to do a DIY western hunt. Honestly, reading your first installment, I feel like you are going to miss out on a big part of an elk hunt by hiring a guide. You mention your son earning it...well, drink from that cup your ownself! This would also be a great opportunity to plan and learn with your son and take him too. If you go DIY, the cost for the 2 of you will be less than the cost of a guide alone. I know I would be willing to share a few things with you and point you toward some resources. Okay, that's my .02 and probably not even worth that. Looking forward to following along whichever route you choose!

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
Winnie, I much appreciate your $.02. I think I would be "earning" this hunt as everything i have read suggests that this is anything but a canned hunt with a ton of work required for success. I just don't have any idea where to start on planning somehting like this on my own and while I have more time than normal, I don't think I have enough time to pick a place on the map. My hope is that after using an outfitter once, I will pick up enough valuable info to be able to ween myself off of professional help.