a Lighter!

bobhunts

WKR
My question is ...are a few of you that have done High altitude hunts like I with Elk but some others have done with sheep or Goats... What lighter do you use or have had good luck with? I have read reviews on other sites.. some being related to Mountaineering vs hunting and most say to just use a Bic and keep it warm..next to your body. I have never had any disposable lighter work at altitude reliably. Nor have I used some of the better butane lighters that are out there. Any advice? it always seems when you need it worst it doesn't work! Bob.

I have always just carried a Bic or two. It has seemed to work for me. All lighters I have tried have been some what finicky at high altitude. To be expected...

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bic's are your best bet.... Cheap reliable and can get them anywhere....all those other "high performance" lighters are a waist of money.

I was at the cigar shop the other day, and I found a butane lighter that is a triple jet butane lighter... holy crap this thing is freakin sweet! I'll check the brand but it lit up a fire like nothing! Not sure if butane lighters are affected by high elevation or not but the triple jet feature is pretty awesome... :)

Mike

ozyclint

WKR
firesteel and cotton wool with vaseline rubbed in. works EVERY time! with all this ultralight rage going on it is a better option than carrying something that might not work.

Bic, here. I always carry two of the smaller ones...
One in a sealed prescription pill case inside my pack and the other in a waterproof bag inside my pocket....

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
I like the push button lighters cause sometimes the bics are hard to light when your hands are cold. Maybe carry one of each.

OP
B

bobhunts

WKR
After thinking about it I'm not sure if the disposable lighters I had problems with were actually "Bic" Lighters. Seems I've bought some of those off brands in a six pack at a discount and maybe that is my problem. Seems a lot of you have no complaints with "Bic" lighters. I'll get some "Bic" lighters for this year.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I've tried just about everything. The Bic mini is simple, lite and just plain works. I carry two new ones every year.

I am forever finding Bic mini lighters in various gear pockets! They are so tiny that I don't realize I already have one and toss another one in.

jmez

WKR
Bic here as well. Keep it in your pocket so it stays warm and if it doesn't want to light turn the gas flow all the way down. The high performance lighters don't work at high altitudes because they produce too much gas flow for the lower oxygen levels.