A little guidance needed

workethic

FNG
First of all hello all, This is my first post on Rokslide. I am 32 years old and I live in small town Minnesota. I am addicted to the outdoors with my drugs of choice being hunting and fishing. I am not new to western hunting, but I am definitely a novice. I have 3 sharptail grouse hunts, 1 Wyoming antelope hunt and 1 mule deer hunt under my belt. All of these hunts I have had my Dad with me on each one of these hunts and he has done well, but they definitely kicked his butt as I prefer to walk rather than drive around when I hunt, so I leave the truck before sunrise and return to the truck at sunset.

Now to my question. I owe my father everything I am because he made sure I was well introduced to hunting. He taught me morals and ethics of hunting and respecting wildlife. It is because of him that I am able to be the hunter and fisherman I am. With that said my father has always talked about going on an elk hunt, I remember this since I was 9 years old. He was focused on making sure we were financially taken care of and has never been able to do it. This is where I come in and making sure my father gets what he has been dreaming of. I have been easing us into western hunts with the most complex being the mule deer hunt this last fall, both of us were successful. All the hunts listed above were organized by me. I used every resource I could find. I absolutely love the planning and prep work required for a successful hunt. I had maps laid out everywhere with highlighter lines and post-it notes all over. The hunt I want to plan for is a 2021 elk hunt. My father will be 65 in 2021, he is by no means overweight and he is in okay shape. We have a good chance for him to get good cardio and leg strength by the time we are elk hunting, but I still want it to be bearable for him. I plan on doing all the grunt work of carrying gear, taking the extra steps to find the animals and if we are lucky I will be packing out the animal, though he may help with this I don't want him to over do it. He hasn't hauled out a deer in the last 10 years as I figure I owe it to him to do this. This will be a gun hunt as he struggles shooting his bow at distance. He also prefers to gun hunt. We will have 2 points in montana and no points anywhere else. I am looking at DIY public land, no guides. Our standards are low, if we see 1 we will be super pumped. We enjoy the experience and the possibility of shooting something. We have/will have the gear needed. We also would be able to spike camp. I am not familiar with what the terrain in the areas of a lot of states looks like, so I am asking for your help finding an area that would be possible for my father to hunt both physically and possibility of draw. I did see an episode of fresh tracks where Randy Newberg was hunting prairie elk. As this is TV I don't know how realistic this is. I am not looking for your unit and gps cords, actually I really don't want that at all. It would ruin the next 2 years of planning for me. I am looking for a general area based on the type of terrain I am looking for, for my dad.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to read this and help. It means a great deal to me,

workethic

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a lifelong westerner living in CA, MT, and NV. MT is beautiful, and there are some awesome hunts there but private land has locked up access to some prime public spots. Winter can come early and areas are steep and deep, but with relatively lower elevations than some other elk spots.
NV is more open, easy to spot game from distances, sees more sun, and is 85% public land with pretty good access in most all areas. I'd say focus on NV and see if you can get drawn for 2021. Our elk populations are healthy.

OP
W

workethic

FNG
I'm a lifelong westerner living in CA, MT, and NV. MT is beautiful, and there are some awesome hunts there but private land has locked up access to some prime public spots. Winter can come early and areas are steep and deep, but with relatively lower elevations than some other elk spots.
NV is more open, easy to spot game from distances, sees more sun, and is 85% public land with pretty good access in most all areas. I'd say focus on NV and see if you can get drawn for 2021. Our elk populations are healthy.

unless im not understanding nevadas regs it doesn't look like I really have a chance to draw a tag there. The odds seem very low. There is a really good chance I missed something in my quick research of Nevada though.

MN Hunter

FNG
First of all hello all, This is my first post on Rokslide. I am 32 years old and I live in small town Minnesota. I am addicted to the outdoors with my drugs of choice being hunting and fishing. I am not new to western hunting, but I am definitely a novice. I have 3 sharptail grouse hunts, 1 Wyoming antelope hunt and 1 mule deer hunt under my belt. All of these hunts I have had my Dad with me on each one of these hunts and he has done well, but they definitely kicked his butt as I prefer to walk rather than drive around when I hunt, so I leave the truck before sunrise and return to the truck at sunset.

Now to my question. I owe my father everything I am because he made sure I was well introduced to hunting. He taught me morals and ethics of hunting and respecting wildlife. It is because of him that I am able to be the hunter and fisherman I am. With that said my father has always talked about going on an elk hunt, I remember this since I was 9 years old. He was focused on making sure we were financially taken care of and has never been able to do it. This is where I come in and making sure my father gets what he has been dreaming of. I have been easing us into western hunts with the most complex being the mule deer hunt this last fall, both of us were successful. All the hunts listed above were organized by me. I used every resource I could find. I absolutely love the planning and prep work required for a successful hunt. I had maps laid out everywhere with highlighter lines and post-it notes all over. The hunt I want to plan for is a 2021 elk hunt. My father will be 65 in 2021, he is by no means overweight and he is in okay shape. We have a good chance for him to get good cardio and leg strength by the time we are elk hunting, but I still want it to be bearable for him. I plan on doing all the grunt work of carrying gear, taking the extra steps to find the animals and if we are lucky I will be packing out the animal, though he may help with this I don't want him to over do it. He hasn't hauled out a deer in the last 10 years as I figure I owe it to him to do this. This will be a gun hunt as he struggles shooting his bow at distance. He also prefers to gun hunt. We will have 2 points in montana and no points anywhere else. I am looking at DIY public land, no guides. Our standards are low, if we see 1 we will be super pumped. We enjoy the experience and the possibility of shooting something. We have/will have the gear needed. We also would be able to spike camp. I am not familiar with what the terrain in the areas of a lot of states looks like, so I am asking for your help finding an area that would be possible for my father to hunt both physically and possibility of draw. I did see an episode of fresh tracks where Randy Newberg was hunting prairie elk. As this is TV I don't know how realistic this is. I am not looking for your unit and gps cords, actually I really don't want that at all. It would ruin the next 2 years of planning for me. I am looking for a general area based on the type of terrain I am looking for, for my dad.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to read this and help. It means a great deal to me,

workethic
I'm also from Minnesota, great state to be from. I've hunted elk in CO, WY and next fall I'm heading to Idaho all of them have been DIY. Never hunted elk in MT because of the cost of the tag. Any place you go will be great, just like my dad taught me and I've passed it on to my son and daughters, harvesting an animal is nice (taken 4 bulls, 4 antelope and 2 mulies with my bow in 8 yrs) but it is all about the adventure and the memories. I just wish I could of taken my dad on a western big game hunt before he passed away. Have fun planning your hunt and let me know if you need any info, I would be happy to pass on what I've learned

OP
W

workethic

FNG
I'm also from Minnesota, great state to be from. I've hunted elk in CO, WY and next fall I'm heading to Idaho all of them have been DIY. Never hunted elk in MT because of the cost of the tag. Any place you go will be great, just like my dad taught me and I've passed it on to my son and daughters, harvesting an animal is nice (taken 4 bulls, 4 antelope and 2 mulies with my bow in 8 yrs) but it is all about the adventure and the memories. I just wish I could of taken my dad on a western big game hunt before he passed away. Have fun planning your hunt and let me know if you need any info, I would be happy to pass on what I've learned

you’re right about it being the adventure and memories. I expect things to go wrong on hunts. I tell myself and others, “The best memories are when something goes wrong.”
Right now Idaho is top of my list. If you remember let me know how it goes.

Wassid82

WKR

workethic

Lucky for me I've lived in the western states most of my life. But if I were in you shoes I would probably look at the information on go hunt.com to find out the best draw odds and animal numbers in each state. An elk hunt is paramount in my book for OTC hunts in North America. MT,CO, UT, ID, all have good amounts of Public Land. Escouting and information will be very helpful for you to research areas that are more conducive to your needs. in present times information is available for us to increase your odds of success. best of luck

OP
W

workethic

FNG
Lucky for me I've lived in the western states most of my life. But if I were in you shoes I would probably look at the information on go hunt.com to find out the best draw odds and animal numbers in each state. An elk hunt is paramount in my book for OTC hunts in North America. MT,CO, UT, ID, all have good amounts of Public Land. Escouting and information will be very helpful for you to research areas that are more conducive to your needs. in present times information is available for us to increase your odds of success. best of luck
Thank you for the help! I’ve been digging around gohunt and onX looking for what I’ve described to you all. The information out there is incredible.

Wassid82

WKR
Elk 101 university has some good info for new hunters as well. Good luck

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
Questions:
Archery or Rifle?
How many days are you planning to hunt?
Are you interested in a backpacking hunt?

At 65 your dad is getting at that critical age where everything hurts. I'm 62 and I'm already there. Still, he needs to be able to hike 5 miles over broken terrain with a pack with at least 30 lbs. I know that you think you can most of it for him but for it to be a great experience he needs to be able to share some of the burden. My suggestion is that you find some spots that you can hike to and sit. For archery season water holes and wallows are great. But they need to be isolated enough not to get too much hunter traffic. Rifle season is much harder because the elk are on the run and you must be too. You can find vantage points where you can glass and shoot from but there will be three other guys right next to you. You might want to consider putting in for some points in Colorado. Sometimes a single point can get you into an area with less hunting pressure.

Last word. Get some trekking poles for him. They are a lifesaver.

Later, HondoArcher

jdmaxwell

WKR
Questions:
Archery or Rifle?
How many days are you planning to hunt?
Are you interested in a backpacking hunt?

At 65 your dad is getting at that critical age where everything hurts. I'm 62 and I'm already there. Still, he needs to be able to hike 5 miles over broken terrain with a pack with at least 30 lbs. I know that you think you can most of it for him but for it to be a great experience he needs to be able to share some of the burden. My suggestion is that you find some spots that you can hike to and sit. For archery season water holes and wallows are great. But they need to be isolated enough not to get too much hunter traffic. Rifle season is much harder because the elk are on the run and you must be too. You can find vantage points where you can glass and shoot from but there will be three other guys right next to you. You might want to consider putting in for some points in Colorado. Sometimes a single point can get you into an area with less hunting pressure.

Last word. Get some trekking poles for him. They are a lifesaver.

Later, HondoArcher

OP Post said Rifle sir