A little guidance please.

TwoTikkas

WKR
I need a little input from all you traditional fellas. First off. All through the 90s I shot a bow every day. Did 2 or 3 3D shoots a week,and tuned compounds for fun and profit in my garage. At that time I could eye ball a compound in tune better than most pro shop tuners with tools. But I digress. Burned out big time! 500 to 700 arrows a week. That's just nuts! It's how I roll though. Excess at all cost.
Here is my question. I want to ENJOY archery again. I have played with a few custom traditional bows in the past. Bob Lee,Blackwidow,and one longbow a friend of mine had built that I just flat loved from the first arrow. Ever pick up a bow and just lay them in there from the word go? COOL stuff. I want to pick up a nice, used longbow or recurve at a reasonable price to get back to the roots of things. I've shot deer out to 40 yds with more gadgets and trinkets than the space shuttle. I used to have balloon shoots at my range every year the week before archery season. We put up a round bale and shot eleimations back 10 yards at a time until there was one shooter left. 4" balloons hung on the bale and we routinly finished up at 90 or 100 yds each round. Amazing stuff to watch. Field archery gone wild. No more of it for me.
What would I be best suited with and where can I find it? I don't have the extra funds for a custom build or a Widow or any of that. Don't want to. Don't want to get all wired out with the excess is best thing again. Any sugestions?

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I myself burnt out for a few years. Started chasing ducks n geese. Now I'm back and even started building my own board bows. I would check classifieds on the traditional sites like trad gang or leatherwall for a used bow. If u have a place to shoot get some flu flus and aerial targets that keeps things fun and at hunting pace because you don't have time to think about anything but picking a spot. Bowfishing, small game, birds lots to shoot at with a bow. Just keep it simple and for fun. If u really want simple low gadget go with wood arrows. My2cents

B

bearguide

i bought a long bow off of ebay for my wife rebecca's birthday. it was not to expensive, but it shoots great. i have been shooting it more than my own long bow b/c it feels good. so you can find a cheep bow that is good. look for used, alot of guy try trad for a year or two then give it up

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
Be sure to get something fairly lightweight & pratice good form. Get some judo points & go have fun!!

Definitely check the trad archery sites like the Leatherwall on Stickbow.Com and Tradgang.Com for their classifieds. You can also check out eBay for used Bear or Ben Pearson bows. You definitely do NOT need to get a custom bow if you want to get into trad bowhunting. Most of the custom bows are customized by the type of wood in the limbs and riser and bow weight. They don't build you a bow customized to what you want it to look like.

Before you get one though I would shoot as many different kinds of trad bows as possible so you can see what you like and don't like. Your timing is perfect as there are a number of trad shoots within a few hours drive of you in the next few months and you can talk to bowyers, shoot other folks equipment, and get a good idea of what kind of bow you want...then go out and buy one. They include the Baltimore Bowmen Traditional Classic outside of Baltimore in May, the Sawmill Traditional Archery Rendezvous in June, and the Eastern Traditional Archery Rendezvous at Denton Hill in July.

Think about things like longbow vs. recurve, long AMO length vs. short length, centershot vs non-centershot, long riser vs. short riser, long limb vs. short limb, basic looking vs. all kinds of exotic woods, pistol grip vs. straight grip, and fast vs. more forgiving. I'm not trying to make this more difficult, just pointing out that there are a lot of characteristics that go into the design of a trad bow and each one can improve your enjoyment of shooting them.

I PM'ed my cell number to you if you want to give me a call her in MD if you want to talk some more about it.

Larry

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
Hey thanks for all the info fellas. I appreciate it.

Got the PM Larry,thanks a bunch. I may give you a call here when I get ready to jump in. Actually kind of excited about the whole idea.