A little help with loosening quick release plates

reelnmn

FNG
I've been running the Vortex SS-P tripod for a full season now using two different spotters (both 65s) and a small P&S camera. In all instances, I disconnect the quick release plate to transport or move spot to spot. However, I can't even get through one glassing session without the quick release plate coming loose from the spotter/camera and becoming sloppy. I've thought it may be due to the relatively small QR plate, but I know others have reported having success with similar size spotters on this setup.

I've considered using a temporary thread lock like the Loctite Blue but thought I would check here first for ideas/suggestions.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You might try some Teflon tape if you have it on hand. I'd bet it's getting bumped than loosing up. Lock tite should do what you want it to too

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
put the plate on skewed..then tighten that tiny wingnut as good as you can with your fingers. now grab the entire QR plate and turn it square (clockwise)..it gets pretty damn tight like that and using the entire plate gives you awesome grip, and more leverage. you might have to play with how much off-skewed you want to start it at.

to remove, do it in reverse.