A moderate muzzy scope and other recommendations

amp713

WKR
So I started out hunting with a patch and round ball muzzleloader and killed a handful of deer with it, then the inlines came into play. Started shooting one but utah still had a max of 1x scope law. I then moved to archery only due to the extremely long season it granted me in a year. I've loaned my inline out a handful of times but I took the 1x scope off for those that borrowed it. Now I find myself playing with it a little more and the law has changed so I can shoot a bit better scope if I decide to hunt with it.

Trying to find a scope that will work well, handle the 150 gr powder without moving at all, and stay really budget friendly. I'm not hunting with it often, if at all, but enjoy shooting it and would like to be able to start reaching out there a little bit more accurately.

Current set up is a CVA Wolf shooting 245 gr aerotip powerbelts with 150 gr triple 7 powder pellets. Debated going to the 270 gr platinum powerbelts for a little better BC but dont think I really need it right now. If anyone has any other good pointers I'd love to hear it!

What distance are you shooting?

I have used the Leupold VX1 3-9x40, duplex reticle on two slug guns and 3 different muzzleloaders with zero issues. Easy to find in the $150-175 range.

I sight in dead on at 100 yards and with my 80gr (by weight) load of BH209 I max out on energy and around 150 yards.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
What distance are you shooting?

I have used the Leupold VX1 3-9x40, duplex reticle on two slug guns and 3 different muzzleloaders with zero issues. Easy to find in the $150-175 range.

I sight in dead on at 100 yards and with my 80gr (by weight) load of BH209 I max out on energy and around 150 yards.

I'd like to be reaching that 250-300 mark. I noticed today sportsmans warehouse has a Nikon marked half off from 500. Debating trying that one out.

I don't know what velocity you are getting from that Wolf with 150gr- I was getting 1850fps in my Accura MR with a 300gr Sabertooth and BH209--

To reach those distances with a 'traditional' (read: pellets or BH209 and NOT smokeless powder) I think you will want a scope with either a BDC type reticle or the ability to dial because your drop is going to be significant.

Again- not sure what your budget is but I would look hard at a Leupold with CDS-- maybe like a VX2 4-12 w/ CDS or something similar. Do you have a scope on a centerfire rifle that you could trade off onto the muzzy?

Nikon Monarchs and Leupold VX-3's are popping up on sales currently. From what I've seen $300-500 on most models depending on what power/reticle you are getting. Nikon will offer the BDC reticles and leupold the CDS dial system. My pick would be 3.5-10x40 leupold with cds dials for $300.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Thanks a bunch guys, speaking of the nikon BDS there is a sale for one at sportsmans this week at 50% off so 250 out the door. Curious if this is a good option or pay the extra 50 for a luepold? Im not much of a rifle guy so this is out of my wheelhouse.

Looking through a monarch vs vx-3 you probably won't be able to tell the difference (I can't). Leupold is going to be a 40mm objective and the Nikon a 42mm - that might make a difference in the height of the rings you have to use (depending on gun). I would take your gun and have them mount both, to see what you prefer. I wouldn't get a nikon model that is below the monarch line though, I'm assuming the 3 is what is on sale?

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Nikon muzzleloader specific scope with the BDC reticles. Not expensive and really sturdy. The BDC works great with my CVA Accura MR. I shoot BH209 (110 grains by volume) with Barnes 290 Gr TEZ. I'm really confident out to 300 yds. I've seen 3 1/2" groups out that far with my setup. On my regular rifles, they all have custom turrets. On a muzzy, the BDC works just fine.

OXN939

WKR
I have Vortex Diamondbacks on all my scoped blackpowder guns. Hold up well, good optical quality and the BDC reticle makes things pretty easy out to 200. Under $250 new. Really, any of the suggested options will perform fine.

Also, you may want to consider picking up some of these. Better accuracy, terminal performance and consistency across the board than anything Powerbelt has ever made. Utah allows sabots now, so you might as well capitalize on that.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I have Vortex Diamondbacks on all my scoped blackpowder guns. Hold up well, good optical quality and the BDC reticle makes things pretty easy out to 200. Under $250 new. Really, any of the suggested options will perform fine.

Also, you may want to consider picking up some of these. Better accuracy, terminal performance and consistency across the board than anything Powerbelt has ever made. Utah allows sabots now, so you might as well capitalize on that.

So you actually like those more? I'd heard alot of bad things about sabots over the years and how they weren't as consistent as a powerbelt which is why I went that way. But I've been out of the muzzy game for some time now

OXN939

WKR
So you actually like those more? I'd heard alot of bad things about sabots over the years and how they weren't as consistent as a powerbelt which is why I went that way. But I've been out of the muzzy game for some time now

In every instance I've ever seen, both testing myself and observing those who are truly masters of the subject, a high quality saboted bullet is unequivocally superior to powerbelts for use in a muzzleloader. Those Barnes are the cream of the crop, from my personal experience. Just look at their reviews on MidwayUSA. Doesn't hurt that they don't leave lead in your meat, either.

1000yrds

FNG
Nikon Monarchs and Leupold VX-3's are popping up on sales currently. From what I've seen $300-500 on most models depending on what power/reticle you are getting. Nikon will offer the BDC reticles and leupold the CDS dial system. My pick would be 3.5-10x40 leupold with cds dials for $300.
^^^ i second this.

CorbLand

WKR
I have a VX Freedom 4-12 windplex on my Optima. It has done great shooting 100 grains BH and 300 grain SST. Zeroed at 100 yards, half way between the next hashmark is 200 and the bottom hash is 300. No complaints on my end and they can be found for fairly cheap.

KHNC

WKR
If you decide to stay with powerbelts, be sure to Never use any type of bore butter. You may know this already, but i found out the hard way years ago. Couple of shots just fizzled out of the end of my barrel at deer. Took a bit to figure out that the bore butter with power belt caused the pressure issues. I use sabots and have found them to be very accurate. Also, I have cheap Burris Fullfield scopes on both of my ML's. Shot 150gr for years with BDC reticles with zero issues. Those scopes are under 200 and have never lost a zero.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/fullfield-ii-riflescopes-series/fullfield-ii-riflescope-3-9x40mm

I have a Accura v2 27" bergara barrel paired with a vortex crossfire ll 3-9x40 BDC reticle. I shoot 104 gr Blackhorn 209 by weight (140gr by volume) with a parker black max 327 gr sabot with a magnum sub base between powder and sabot. And it shoots 1/2 MOA groups. I am also using the blackhorn breech plug with variflame adapters that I machined my breech plug to fit them so that I can use large rifle magnum primers. Here is a pic of a gallon water jug at 525 yards with a 15 mph cross wind muzzle velocity is around 2500 fps. Using the strelok app and all parameters I dialed my turrets and drilled it first shot. Gub is sighted in at 200 yards and is 2 inches high at 100 yards. Shoots flat and packs a punch. Shot a bull elk at over 600 yards this year 1 shot and he dropped completely destroyed heart and lungs after traveling through shoulder bone. These guns will surprise you. I first started with SST 300 gr and power belts and scorpions and barnes TMZ/TEZ and none would shoot good with over 80 gr BH until I found the magnum sub bases from muzzleloadingbullets.com I instantly could shoot any bullet with any powder (777, pyrodex, pellets/loose and BH) and hold sub moa groups. I instantly saw about 200 fps increase in muzzle velocity with them as well as accuracy increase. I wouldn't worry too much about the scope mine was $150 bucks you just need to shoot it alot and figure out what works best in your gun but I would highly suggest looking at parker bullets they are pricey but what's a $2 bullet when you're shooting a 340" elk at 500 plus with a muzzy? After what I've learned there is no need to hunt with a rifle and wait twice as long to draw the same tag
ab6dc4d6ce71fcf56683c1caf977cc3e.jpg
692d8c3527231ab153920305a76a6629.jpg
00e2a15175312039c6ea06b59ed5da17.jpg
7e62bace354e34fa0ed6d294ebcda506.jpg
84c5d6a5f004a40def911de7d87c4451.jpg
2846b0a1878ec4f4248827f934989b6d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
Have been using Leupold Ultimate slam on my muzzleloader for years and just put one on a slug gun and never had any problems. Switched to 300 gr Parker bullets and can’t be happier with them