A more nomadic life?

OP
W

wesfromky

WKR
GF is a travel nurse now, we started 1.5 years ago. I work fully remote and have for 3 years. I dont recommend the RV, we use furnished finder. Have spent 6 months in Utah & a few in Idaho a month in MT. She has gotten a couple month off to just hang out which she loves.

Hunting & fishing is tougher due to NR costs, tax season is intimidating. I've hiked & sight seen and made more friends that I actually like to meet then I ever would have back home!

Wfh get's boring and I am working tech sales during a recession, not the most stable fields. career development (promotions) have been non-existent which I am sure would be different if I was in an office. Rent is high, but I do well for myself.

I listen to lots of podcasts while working RokCast, Cal's Weekly, Hunt Quietly, Joe (oc), Mindful Reviews. Play lots of video games while its wintery & she is working. View attachment 676607View attachment 676608View attachment 676610

View attachment 676603View attachment 676604View attachment 676606
Looks like you all have been having a great experience!

I have thought about the short term rentals, but I kinda want to be outside the city. Need to look into it more though. The RV has it's drawbacks.

I don't plan on hunting out west much - mostly east with easy and fairly cheap OTC tags. Fishing is the plan for the mountain west.

Yeah, wfh has some downsides for sure. I am pretty lucky - I do public sector IT security, so fairly in demand. And I am at the tail end of my career, so not looking to move up or anything.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t believe no one has posted a Reacher meme yet…

I’ve known three people that have went the nomadic route; two folded after 14 months, the last went full retard on the overlanding lifestyle and is on year 5, currently somewhere in Argentina.

No wife or kids? Give it a go. I did many a months as a young man on a motorcycle, wandering the coastlines and had a blast. You can find out a lot about yourself. I found out a few times that somewhere around the three month mark is where I wanted to roll back to HQ and digest all of my travels.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like you all have been having a great experience!

I have thought about the short term rentals, but I kinda want to be outside the city. Need to look into it more though. The RV has it's drawbacks.

I don't plan on hunting out west much - mostly east with easy and fairly cheap OTC tags. Fishing is the plan for the mountain west.

Yeah, wfh has some downsides for sure. I am pretty lucky - I do public sector IT security, so fairly in demand. And I am at the tail end of my career, so not looking to move up or anything.
Then that works! If you wanted to hunt cheap out west, you certainly could focus cow elk. Hit me up for shore fishing spots in Utah (brown trout) or Idaho (steelhead). I hope to try the east out before we settle, likely back here in Idaho. Every neighbor I have loves guns, animals, and fishing. Id definetly download furnished finder. 3 month stays & the level of comfort is unmatched. Couldn't imagine an alternative. it is for nurses normally, but that means all the rural locations are cheaper than inner city. Nurses need to be near the heart of it all.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
I drove my RV from Tenneesee to Utah last summer to pick up a new lab puppy and ended up staying for 5 months. My family has property with power, water and septic, so I just stayed there from June to November. I'm going to do the same thing this summer except the GF doesn't want me to stay that long. I work remotely and for internet I bought the regular StarLink setup and it works great if you don't have trees nearby. You do need a pretty clear shot at the sky or you have frequent small interuptions which make video confrencing hoorible. In a couple weeks I'm going to Gulf Shore Alabama and plan on working from there. Back east RV parks are everywhere, but public camping is quite limited. Like others have said about $1k/month is about what you should budget for RV parks for longer stays. I think the lowest I've paid was $700/month and some places are quite a bit more $ and look like a resort. I have not stayed at any of those.

For work, I've had to live at extended stay hotels for months and much prefer having my own RV compared to hotel life. I personally feel sort of "homeless" without my own place.lil Otto.JPEG

Last edited:

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coolness. When you are ready, share your setup!

Well, I have researched the CRAP out of everything.........there are sooooo many ways a guy could go. I have literally spent 100's of hours watching YouTube videos of different builds, vehicles, lifestyles, pros, cons, etc.
I've basically got it narrowed down to pulling a cargo trailer that I am going to build. That seems to fit my lifestyle and future plans. It's most likely two years out or so but it's gonna happen and it's exciting as hell on one hand but a bit un serving on the other.
Great thread btw.

Randy

CRJR45

WKR
Well, I have researched the CRAP out of everything.........there are sooooo many ways a guy could go. I have literally spent 100's of hours watching YouTube videos of different builds, vehicles, lifestyles, pros, cons, etc.
I've basically got it narrowed down to pulling a cargo trailer that I am going to build. That seems to fit my lifestyle and future plans. It's most likely two years out or so but it's gonna happen and it's exciting as hell on one hand but a bit un serving on the other.
Great thread btw.

Randy
I have a friend that did that , generator on the tongue , AC/Heat , some windows , a couch and a TV .
He shoots PRS and other stuff on the weekends .
I been looking at these , seems like a lot of trailer for not much money -

OP
W

wesfromky

WKR
Great thread btw.

Randy
You are right about all the options - from short term rentals, to huge class A/5th wheels, down to suvs/mini vans and everything in between, people are living the fulltime nomadic life a bunch of different ways. I have been following vanlife style living since before IG, and following the seasons around the country has always been something on my bucket list, so will have to see where this goes.

If you haven't already, check out these trailers. When I was looking at a diy build, they were the top of the list.

OP
W

wesfromky

WKR
Then that works! If you wanted to hunt cheap out west, you certainly could focus cow elk. Hit me up for shore fishing spots in Utah (brown trout) or Idaho (steelhead). I hope to try the east out before we settle, likely back here in Idaho. Every neighbor I have loves guns, animals, and fishing. Id definetly download furnished finder. 3 month stays & the level of comfort is unmatched. Couldn't imagine an alternative. it is for nurses normally, but that means all the rural locations are cheaper than inner city. Nurses need to be near the heart of it all.
That app is pretty cool - thanks much for the recommendation.

Southeast is sometimes overlooked for hunting, but the seasons are long, tags are fairly cheap, and bag limits high. It isn't chasing bugling elk in a mountain meadow, but it is still pretty cool.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are right about all the options - from short term rentals, to huge class A/5th wheels, down to suvs/mini vans and everything in between, people are living the fulltime nomadic life a bunch of different ways. I have been following vanlife style living since before IG, and following the seasons around the country has always been something on my bucket list, so will have to see where this goes.

If you haven't already, check out these trailers. When I was looking at a diy build, they were the top of the list.

WELL, great minds think alike. I actually discovered them this last weekend and they are at the top of my list also.

Randy

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
You ever get lonesome?

jj2.jpg

I've noticed lots of quotes in this thread from that movie. I'm sure most of us could script the entire movie.
Greatest film ever made.

Randy

I worked on the road for years. I hated that life.

Money was good. But that was about it. I lived in Charleston West Virginia for a couple years working. That was the final straw for me. lol

I missed out on a lot of hunting because of work on the road.

Go for it. Good luck!

We considered it a couple years ago and having my wife do travel PT and I watch kids. In the end, we couldn’t convince ourselves it was the best fit for our family. Now we both have some pretty sweet golden handcuffs so that plan is on an extended delay. Now it’s invest aggressively from our good jobs and be done working and option to be nomads once the youngest leaves the house in about 15 years. With just two, a medium sized cab over on a dually pulling a small trailer would be solid IMO. With a family, we considered an RV pulling a small AWD jeep or similar.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
I did travel PT and my wife was a RN, we did it for about a year, it was a blast. We used furnished finder or actually had some decent luck either calling local realtors or the hospital's that I was working at. Lived in some cool places in Florida, Maine, Washington. It was an awesome way to see the country.

Mind you this is 10 years ago, but I made bank (like close to double what I do at my normal full-time job now), we were young, no kids, every day was an adventure. I socked away most of what we made to invest in real estate so we may go back to that at some point for short periods of time, but it gets a lot harder once kids come along.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My cousin and her husband live out of a sprinter van. I'm not exactly sure what they do for work but they always post workout videos and pics of them in workout clothes showing off their abs. They are all over the social media, instagram, facebook etc. Not even joking, I dont think the husband even owns a shirt and I doubt any of them have clothes that arent meant for workouts.

they seem happy, maybe you can do something like that, do you have ripped abs?