a new hunter 'advocacy' group

mitchellbk

Lil-Rokslider
snip from this article: New nonprofit seeks to be ‘RAND Corp. of hunting’ | Environmental | jhnewsandguide.com

"Hunters should be prohibited from blasting a rifle at an elk that's any farther away than 300 yards to give the animal a fair shake, says a Jackson bowhunter who wants to make hunting more ethical. Same goes for bowhunting: Letting arrows fly more than 50 yards should be illegal.

Regulation demanding ethical behavior is needed to save big-game hunting, says Jackson Hole hunter Rob Shaul, who is starting a new nonprofit to advance his cause.

Shaul takes other unapologetic positions on issues he believes violate fair chase principles of hunting. People who drive all-terrain vehicles onto closed roads and trails during the fall seasons should lose their privilege to hunt. Bear baiting should be banned in Wyoming. Running down coyotes with snowmobiles 'is just stupid,' he says, and should be criminalized."

I cringed reading that article. Obviously driving on closed roads and running down coyotes is unacceptable. But for the rest, I don't know what to say other than agreeing with one of the comments at the bottom: "Another organization with good intentions that may only continue to fracture an already fractured hunting community."

Are there a lot of these hunter 'advocacy' groups out there? Moving forward, how do we as hunters address differences in opinions with these organizations? I hate to be negative but I only see this Non Profit as a threat to hunting and trapping.

Takem

WKR
What a selfish POS. This is what I want and everyone else is wrong. It's too bad he got this article. How do you lump a rifle shot over 300 yards with driving on a closed road?

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
“If you’re a guy in Michigan and want to go hunting in Wyoming you’re probably not going to like us, because we’re going to cut you off the team.”

Nice

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
An experience Shaul had hunting in the fall of 2017 first sprung the idea of Mountain Pursuit. He was in the Wyoming Range — a popular area to pursue trophy mule deer — and was several miles from the nearest trailhead in a remote basin when he came upon eight nonresident bowhunters.
“I was just taken aback by that,” Shaul said. “I started thinking about nonresident license allocation.”

So he wants to shut down nonresidents because he saw other hunters on federal land?

CorbLand

WKR
" says a Jackson bowhunter who wants to make hunting more ethical."

I want to make hunting more ethical by forcing everyone to adhere to my standards and what I feel is acceptable.

Beendare

WKR
Makes me want to call this guy on the carpet insisting that he doesn't take a dime of the $$$ donated....and holding his "Non profit" books open 24-7.

We will see who is ethical or not....by how much salary this DB is siphoning off.

So what, "If the Clintons can do it...so can I" Sheesh.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
"Hunting for an existing nonprofit organization that would effectively represent his interests, Shaul said he couldn’t find one."

Probably a good clue that his interests and ideals fall outside of the norm.

No idea why he'd include Alaska on his list of states to work on resident hunter advocacy. Alaska pretty well has that wrapped up and has for a long time.

Cbled

Lil-Rokslider
Is this the same guy who runs the mountain tactical institute that sells the big game hunting workout program?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cbled

Lil-Rokslider
Seems a bit ironic.
I’m pretty sure I listened to him on a podcast within the last couple years, sounded like he was a pretty new hunter. Guess it doesn’t take too long to be an expert and have big opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
Seems a bit ironic.
I’m pretty sure I listened to him on a podcast within the last couple years, sounded like he was a pretty new hunter. Guess it doesn’t take too long to be an expert and have big opinions.

He was on the Hunt Back Country Podcast sometime ago.

JWP58

WKR
Makes sense living in the San Fran of Wyoming. This fella can take his opinions and place them where the sun dont shine....gently of course.

I swear, WTH is wrong with people?

I'm almost positive he has been on the canuck ran journal of mountain hunting podcast, which also makes sense with the holier than thou "revrence, spiritual, proselytizing" they engage in....its hunting, you're not a monk...

Cbled

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I listened on a different one. Beyond the kill it’s called. I really liked what he had to say on fitness related content. Hopefully some of this story has been misquoted. I try to give the benefit of the doubt as much as possible.