A Newbie hunts elk in southern Colorado, a review

bozeman

WKR
Good info....yeah, carrying a 8lb dumbbell in each hand while rucking is great grip and arm training for carrying a bow while hunting.....

Good luck in the future!

Eric375

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for the info. I just did the same trip and shared many of your same experiences. Lighter rifle is a must. I’m about to put my current 6.5PRC for sale to get something much lighter.

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody else think it's odd/crazy that an outfitter has 4 groups of guys in a camp and not a single person seen a single elk?? I don't hunt guided and never have, just an observation. Glad you had a good learning experience. It usually takes a bunch of those before putting something on the ground.

intunegp

WKR
If you stick with the Kuiu pack, I loved my Pro 2300 for a day-pack as it didn't allow me to overpack like you thought you were doing. I also used the latest version of their rifle holder, quick-draw rifle holder I think it is called, and loved it. Hands free, unobtrusive, no pressure points, and easy access!

Anybody else think it's odd/crazy that an outfitter has 4 groups of guys in a camp and not a single person seen a single elk?? I don't hunt guided and never have, just an observation. Glad you had a good learning experience. It usually takes a bunch of those before putting something on the ground.

Yes. There are a lot of elk in Colorado.

FNG
Great thread, thanks. Bere09, you’ll be in great shape on your next hunt for thinking though all of this.

I'm starting to do research for a similar type of hunt and found this very helpful. Thanks for putting this out for others to learn from, really appreciate the detail & time you put into it.