A picture to sum up CO OTC Rifle Units

davsco

WKR
Haha. Thats great, but honestly, that true as well. This year with the virus, it seems like more and more people are out in the woods. Colorado 2nd season is ridicules this year. I hunted for 1 day in my usual area and left due to all the hunters. I simply could not get away from everyone.
one place on colo nat'l forest land i scouted last year first rifle a few days before it opened, you had to leave the keys in your truck the parking area was so packed, so you didn't block anyone in. went there to scout for 2nd rifle this year (couple days ago) and it only had 3-4 vehicles the first day but still way less than 1/4 full the following day.

As a CO resident this was my last year hunting this states public lands. Unfortunately the state and CPW have turned it into an amusement park. Over crowded,over populated, more non resident hunters than resident hunters. It’s become a shithole. The OTC system needs to go away. Draw Only. Couple of biologists friends who work up in Rocky Mountain National have shared some discouraging data over the last few years. Negative changes are happening to the Elk behavior and migration patterns. This state has sold its soul to the highest bidder. It’s all about that revenue at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ganngus

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
As a CO resident this was my last year hunting this states public lands. Unfortunately the state and CPW have turned it into an amusement park. Over crowded,over populated, more non resident hunters than resident hunters. It’s become a shithole. The OTC system needs to go away. Draw Only. Couple of biologists friends who work up in Rocky Mountain National have shared some discouraging data over the last few years. Negative changes are happening to the Elk behavior and migration patterns. This state has sold its soul to the highest bidder. It’s all about that revenue at this point.

As a non-resident, I agree with you 100%. I think the disruptions during the breeding season by the OTC hunters in southwest Colorado resulted in the area moving to draw only. It was one thing when there weren't that many hunters and the herd was at a historic high, but now the disastrous effects of Colorado's poor herd management is becoming painfully clear...

tdhanses

WKR

While I do agree I bet 80% of the people with a tag either never leave a camp, road or go less then 1/2 a mile from a road.

As a non-resident, I agree with you 100%. I think the disruptions during the breeding season by the OTC hunters in southwest Colorado resulted in the area moving to draw only. It was one thing when there weren't that many hunters and the herd was at a historic high, but now the disastrous effects of Colorado's poor herd management is becoming painfully clear...

Yep! My friend Melissa who is a biologist operating out of the Estes Park area mainly works with the Elk here. She has been showing me dropping breeding numbers and negative changes to their migration patterns. The stress these animals are experiencing during hunting seasons with no cap or regulation on the amount of hunters per unit is beginning to have irreversible consequences. I asked her if she thought hunting was bad and she said absolutely not,BUT the amount of hunters is what is causing some serious questions that need to be addressed. In short... she said we are seeing a drop in effective breeding and a rise in hunter numbers. In other words through sheer volume of hunters to regulate and sustain the health of our herds is ineffective. I hate to say it but maybe it’s time to stop treating these western public land states like It’s a vacation spot. Even if that means not everyone can do their yearly hunt like they usually do including me but rather regulated through a draw system possibly then so be it. If that means I draw maybe only every other year then I’m alright with that. As long as the priority is placed on the health of the herds and land first. Then the quality of mine and others hunts second.

Yep! My friend Melissa who is a biologist operating out of the Estes Park area mainly works with the Elk here. She has been showing me dropping breeding numbers and negative changes to their migration patterns. The stress these animals are experiencing during hunting seasons with no cap or regulation on the amount of hunters per unit is beginning to have irreversible consequences. I asked her if she thought hunting was bad and she said absolutely not,BUT the amount of hunters is what is causing some serious questions that need to be addressed. In short... she said we are seeing a drop in effective breeding and a rise in hunter numbers. In other words through sheer volume of hunters to regulate and sustain the health of our herds is ineffective. I hate to say it but maybe it’s time to stop treating these western public land states like It’s a vacation spot. Even if that means not everyone can do their yearly hunt like they usually do including me but rather regulated through a draw system possibly then so be it. If that means I draw maybe only every other year then I’m alright with that. As long as the priority is placed on the health of the herds and land first. Then the quality of mine and others hunts second.

Absolutely. The health of the herds should be the top priority. If the herds can’t hand le the pressure, the pressure needs to be relieved. And that means less hunters, which would probably mean no OTC and all draw. But if we like these animals, the health of the herd comes before our annual opportunity.

OP
ganngus

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
While I do agree I bet 80% of the people with a tag either never leave a camp, road or go less then 1/2 a mile from a road.

While I agree with this statement 10 years ago, I have been finding more and more wannabe Cameron Haynes/workout warriors back country. Heck, I have seen more people in Colorado from outside states bringing horses into back country too.

Ucsdryder

WKR
These were within 1/2 mile of a trailhead on public, and there were multiple camps there. People were walking past them to get "deep". In a 24 hour period seen 15 bulls on public. All the people had them pushed into a pocket. Use the people to your advantage.
How many points did it take to draw that unit for the season you were hunting?

wapitibob

WKR
Absolutely. The health of the herds should be the top priority. If the herds can’t hand le the pressure, the pressure needs to be relieved. And that means less hunters, which would probably mean no OTC and all draw. But if we like these animals, the health of the herd comes before our annual opportunity.
Eastern Oregon is going draw only for deer in 2021 and elk in 2022. Based on the hundreds if not thousands of comments on facechat, you are 100% wrong. Carrying on the family tradition and not losing “opportunity” to shoot the last dink on the mountain is way more important than healthy elk and deer herds.
It was mind boggling to read the comments about their potential lost opportunity then complaining about low animal numbers in the next breath.

Eastern Oregon is going draw only for deer in 2021 and elk in 2022. Based on the hundreds if not thousands of comments on facechat, you are 100% wrong. Carrying on the family tradition and not losing “opportunity” to shoot the last dink on the mountain is way more important than healthy elk and deer herds.
It was mind boggling to read the comments about their potential lost opportunity then complaining about low animal numbers in the next breath.

I was curious myself and did a little digging around on Oregon bow hunting pages. Some of the comments are down right pathetic. So many hunters more worried about their precious hunting success rather than the actual wildlife and habitat they so proclaim to be passionate for.

I honestly think there is more bad apples in our hunting community than we care to admit. So many who claim to be stewards of the land and conservationist. However as soon as any proposal is made that potentially could change their hunting success they fold and their true colors come out. Even if it means it helps improve the health of the wildlife and habitat. Seems from some of those comments, they are the holy roller conservationist as long as they are “getting theirs”.

Scooter37

FNG
Good point. Nothing like getting out to your spot only to realize that no one else thinks it’s a good area to hunt. From now on I won’t get out of the truck unless I see at least 15+ truck and it’s a bonus if I see people have been taking quads around the gate. Then I know it’s good!!