A piece of gear you dont need or havent owned

Man a spotter is my most valuable tool when it comes to finding elk, particularly during rifle season. I only pack it to master vantage points or use from my truck but that's my first step before leaving the truck with full kit

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If I rifle hunted, I have no doubt I'd carry my spotter. Typically I can't see 50 yards where I hunt in September, let alone 500. For my open country deer hunt, I use the hell outta the scope and this year bought some 15x binos to mount to the tripod for the long glassing sessions

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Gaiters. Never tried them, never felt I needed them.

I have trekking poles, but only used them for my Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT. I planned to use them for the pack out if I shot something. But I’ve packed deer out without poles, and I’m kind of thinking I don’t need them and maybe I should have a different shelter since I am carrying them just for that.

On that note, a shelter with a floor. Started floorless and don’t see a need to consider anything else for a Colorado elk hunt.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
Strickly based on your elk hunting style, what is a piece of gear you have found out you really dont need to own?

For me - its a spotting scope. Ive never owned one, dont need one.

I own a spotting scope and it's a lot of fun to look at elk before the shooting starts, but I've never used it to target a specific animal. Never saw a use for one on an elk hunt...Big ones look big. Of course I shoot the first legal animal I see..... Enjoy the food more than the horns anyways.

ColoradoV

WKR
Yea spotters are worthless for elk I would never use one 😂.....

Depends on how each individual likes to hunt but I honestly would pry give up my bow or rifle before my spotter or 15z for that matter. If I am just filling the freezer yea no need for big optics but now if I am hunting elk again big optics are worth more to me than my bow or rifle.

Scooter37

FNG
I can’t believe people would give up their spotter so quick. I used our spotter a lot this year but I gave up the tripod pretty quick.

10x42 binos and I could find elk on ridges up and down the canyon. Some groups so far away though without a spotter there would be no way to tell if there was a bull in the group. I started just propping our spotter up on my pack to see if there was anything in the group worth making the hike. Worked great and cut out half the extra weight. I’m probably gonna get a 11x33x50 or something’s similar for next year and my son Keeps the one spotter we share.

I also quickly ditched the shooting sticks loaned me. I let someone talk me into how great they are. They are ok but not worth carrying around on the off chance I might get to use them. Every time I pulled the trigger this year I never would of had time to mess with them. I guess if you really practice and are proficient at setting them up quick maybe but Im not and I don’t want to be and I don’t need more stuff

Trekking poles I thought might be something I would be interested in before deer season started but I never got around to getting any. Just as well Cause as it turns out the woods are full of sticks and I was able to find one to help pack out meat when I needed it and then another the next day. Idaho National forests have a great return policy on any sticks you get from them and I left them there. Plus if you carry trekking poles someone might get the idea that you shop at rei. Not worth it to me

xziang

WKR
I don’t even carry binos when I archery hunt elk.

I have considered leaving binocs in truck in some areas too. Heck sometimes i put them IN the pack to avoid another thing strapped to my body collecting sweat. Spotter is used from road packed it in ONCE on a scouting trip.

Ralphie

WKR
I’ve never needed or wanted a cozie for my rifle. Works just fine without it.

Gaiters are another I don’t have or really want. I can kind of see them in serious snow country but most of the time I see the cool kids on YouTube strutting around in dry conditions or a skiff of snow in 15” gaiters. I guess the sponsors like seeing them on there. And I hunt and guide in western Wyoming so it isn’t like I don’t see snow.

Marble

WKR
I used to carry a super light weight 3 wheel pulley I could put a bull in a tree with. But I've been breaking down the animals without a saw and hanging quarters as I go now so I haven't carried it in years. I have several of them. I still carry one on my horse during rifle, but not during archery.

TheCougar

WKR
An Instagram account

A muzzleloader. Never drawn a tag, despite applying for MZ tags to de conflict from the rifle and archery applications.

A spotter is something I’ve only used once, on a trophy unit where we were scoring bulls to go after a particular size. Otherwise my 15s get the nod.

gfreidy

WKR
I have learned that I usually don’t need camo. Good natural colored solids usually work for me, especially for rifle hunts.

wytx

WKR
A multi day pack with frame. I have several good day packs and a pack frame for packing quarters.
I don't pack in to hunt, never had to, so I use day packs all the time . They will take a small first load of meat back to the truck or camp then use the pack frame.

We use our spotter all the time, but we hunt lots of open country.