A piece of gear you dont need or havent owned

tdhanses

WKR
Yea spotters are worthless for elk I would never use one 😂.....

Depends on how each individual likes to hunt but I honestly would pry give up my bow or rifle before my spotter or 15z for that matter. If I am just filling the freezer yea no need for big optics but now if I am hunting elk again big optics are worth more to me than my bow or rifle.

So if you gave up your bow or rifle will you beat them to death with the spotter? 😂

A saw, gaiters during archery (almost always). External reed cow calls when it’s below freezing.

Bronc

Lil-Rokslider
Mechanical broad heads. Never tried them, and don’t want to.

Agreed. I really feel like mine has helped me to be more successful. I have to find them before I can kill them. I may not pack mine always but I’ll never be without it in my arsenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll third that. You can’t use them everywhere but if you’re in the right type of country that’s the way to locate elk. I personally look for the type of area where I can use it and that’s where I hunt. I think lots of guy pick an area and then figure out how to hunt it. But I pick one that suits the way I prefer to hunt. Spot stalk and destroy!

The piece of gear I don’t use would be a compass. I wouldn’t be caught dead without a backup head lamp but if for some reason my gps dies which is highly unlikely I’ll just hike out. I’m at home in my spot and pretty much anywhere I hunt in the region.

Last edited:
I don’t need and don’t have a $50,000+ piece of depreciating scrap metal, i.e. a brand new loaded truck. Instead, I bought a bighorn hunt, a mountain goat hunt, and an elk hunt for that money. The truck will be in a shredder in 15 years. The memories and trophies of the premium hunts will last until I am in the nursing home. Happy choices and happy hunting!

ChrisAU

WKR
I'm going to duck after posting this...

A tent stove. It was -10ish the first night of my 1st Rifle CO elk hunt and I just slept in all my clothes. Seems like a lot of cost, weight, and hassle just to be comfortable for the few minutes before and after sleep that you are in the tent? I could see it's use in a wet environment.

I’ve never needed or wanted a cozie for my rifle. Works just fine without it.

Gaiters are another I don’t have or really want. I can kind of see them in serious snow country but most of the time I see the cool kids on YouTube strutting around in dry conditions or a skiff of snow in 15” gaiters. I guess the sponsors like seeing them on there. And I hunt and guide in western Wyoming so it isn’t like I don’t see snow.

Dude the cozie line is killer hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never needed or wanted a spotter for elk hunting, but I've used one in the summer for scouting. Just depends on how and where you hunt. I'm an interaction elk hunter.......if they don't interact, I'm not interested in chasing them regardless of their size. So bino's aren't real important to me either, but I won't hunt without my bugle tube.

But for me it's an I-phone, still don't have one. But I thought it was funny this year when my buddy had no reception with his I-phone so he had to use my flip phone the whole season to call home........and we both have Verizon. My flip phone had 3-5 bars in camp, and his phone had zilch.

Wapiti1

WKR
Specifically for elk hunting, the gear for a backcountry camp. I've never had issues finding good hunting in places where I could sleep in a warm camper or other base camp.

I also have no need for replaceable blade knives.

Jeremy

twall13

WKR
Gaiters are another I don’t have or really want. I can kind of see them in serious snow country but most of the time I see the cool kids on YouTube strutting around in dry conditions or a skiff of snow in 15” gaiters. I guess the sponsors like seeing them on there. And I hunt and guide in western Wyoming so it isn’t like I don’t see snow.

I have some off brand gaiters and really like them for specific conditions (snow over 5-6" deep). Otherwise, I agree with you completely. I see where guys wear them all the time and to me it's just extra weight and makes my lower legs sweat. Even in rainy conditions, I'd generally rather take the rain pants than gaiters if I'm going to pack something to keep my legs dry. I take gaiters elk hunting, but leave them at the truck/camp unless there is some real snow. Over the years I've ended up wearing them more upland hunting than I do elk hunting but it's still nice to have them in my kit.

So ironic that so many say spotter. When do many say they are indispensible. Depends where and how you hunt I guess. I would like one for the shooting range 90% of time otherwise in truck maybe for occasional use. 8x binos do everything for me where and how I hunt. Elk calls and bugle tubes as well.

jsb

FNG
I really respect guys who can effectively use a spotter and glass for days. My neighbor does that and is more successful than me. I just like to hike, for me that's what hunting is all about. 10 x 42 binos for glassing on the go is what I prefer. Although I do have a $70 spotter for the range.

Trekking poles stay in the truck until meat needs hauling. However, next season I may pack some hiking spikes, crampons, whatever you want to call them. Traversing steep slippery snowy slopes has taken its toll on me over the years and I'd like to avoid the inevitable wipe outs before I get injured.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Montana bow sling, or any bow sling for that matter. Even when I have an hour hike before light I just ended up carrying my bow.

Bone saw- no need since starting gutless method.

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with the bow sling, have tried several and end up just carrying in my hand. Gave up the saw after the first elk I had on the ground. Saw was more of a hassle than help. Learned the gutless method before the next season.

I also stopped carrying rain gear many years ago. If it gets really bad I can always find some shelter.

At this point in my life, I don't need a spotter. I tried one for a season, but found I lacked that patience to sit long enough to see anything lol.
I gave up a pack saw after I was introduced to a set of hatchets. That made removing the antlers and breaking down quarters much easier.