A piece of gear you dont need or havent owned

Elkhntr08

WKR
Bought this thing that strapped to a backpack harness to keep your rifle sling on your shoulder. If you want one, I can tell you what trash can I threw it in in Wyoming.

So ironic that so many say spotter. When do many say they are indispensible. Depends where and how you hunt I guess. I would like one for the shooting range 90% of time otherwise in truck maybe for occasional use. 8x binos do everything for me where and how I hunt. Elk calls and bugle tubes as well.

I also hardly ever take my binos while hunting. The calls n tube get them close enough that I have no problem seeing them with the naked eyes ;)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
But how do you tuck your ears inside a curve bill trucker?

How do you tuck your ears inside a flat bill trucker? Or a better question would be......why would you tuck your ears in either case? People can't even figure out how to wear a ball cap, yet we allow them to vote to determine the direction of a nation. SMH.

Wassid82

WKR
When i started hunting I was lucky enough to have a horse. I basically learned to hunt off the back of horses With my grandfather. The mobility was so awesome and it covered up a lot of my cardinal hunting sins. Fast forward 15 years and I no longer had the access to hunting with a horse. on foot I have to be so much more methodical in how I hunt. I have learned that the better spotting scope I use the more area I can cover without missing animals or ideal honey holes. I pack a spotting scope everyday I hunt and will never hunt without it any more. every couple of years I seem to attempt to upgrade my glass to a little better/bigger.

rj2

WKR
surprised at all the spotting scope replies. what size binos are you guys using with no spotter?

ridgefire

WKR
I use 12x42 binos for elk hunting. I used my spotter one season and now it sits in the bin. Hated packing it around the mountain when my style of hunting is to chase bugles. May come in handy for late elk hunts but not needed in September when im shooting the first legal bull I can.

Saw.

Without a spotter I would of never killed this bull this year. I’ll keep using it so I can filter through dinks to look for mature animals.
63DC4AF6-C8AE-4A84-9337-974B40F95136.jpeg

I wish I had a spotting scope, but at the price, it is pretty low on my list of things to buy.

10x42 binos do it for me most of the time.

I think the silliest gear people buy is clothing related. Matching camo, and "outfits" that cost over $1000. It's nuts to me. A good pair of pants and a merino underlayer, I get that. But the whole coordinated "outfit" is something I have zero need for.

Archery: bow sling and chalk to see wind
Rifle: Harris bi pod, gut hook saw.
When I was 20 pack was 20lb +
Twenty + years later elk pack is -10

Reactions: RCB

jeff57

FNG
How do you tuck your ears inside a flat bill trucker? Or a better question would be......why would you tuck your ears in either case? People can't even figure out how to wear a ball cap, yet we allow them to vote to determine the direction of a nation. SMH.
And have their azz hangin out of their pants.

Felix40

WKR
Im surprised to see so many saying spotting scope and bone saw. Ill be packing both of those on a hunt next week. The saw has the potential to save packing 20lbs of skull. The spotter can save a ton of walking when you can tell if a bull is legal from 1.5 miles instead of half a mile.

Replaceable blade knives are something that I have no desire to use anymore.

Vids

WKR
Interesting replies on here. So much of this is situational. I always bring my spotting scope, but a lot of times I leave it in the truck. Can be very useful in open country. A saw is great for cutting out the skull plate, that's always in my pack. Also useful for cutting below the shanks, though not 100% necessary for quartering. Gaiters are awesome in rifle season with snow, but not necessary during archery unless you have deep creek crossings. I think binos are invaluable, even in dark timber. Scan the areas 100 yards in front of you and you can catch movement, antlers, a white patch, etc. I've spotted more animals that I can count at 50 yards just by stopping and scanning with my binos.

The ones that I would completely agree are worthless are the $50k truck and a $2k Sitka clothing system. I do wear high end clothing, but it certainly doesn't match. :) My truck is worth $10k, bought it used and will drive it into the ground. Replaceable blade knives seem like a joke to me as well, never used them but my friends have and dealing with all the blades seemed like unnecessary effort. A solid hunting knife and a sharpener are all you need.