A potential shooting game changer for me

So I'm fairly new to the world of bolt rifles, having shot handguns most of my life. Since deciding to start hunting this year, I have had both private rifle instruction and have also shot a good bit independently. On a good day, I can ring steel out to 400 yards in prone.

One thing I have noticed is that no matter where I place the rifle in my shoulder pocket, it's just a very unfriendly, bony place. I'm shooting a Tikka T3X Lite in 30-06, and even with a limb saver recoil pad, by bullet #10, it begins to feel really unpleasant. So much so, that I begin dreading the shot breaking, which undoubtedly affects my accuracy.

Enter this rather silly looking contraption:

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Ambidextrous-Shooting-Shields-Construction/dp/B07RKY6FBY

I shot with it yesterday as a bit of a skeptic, but it appears to be just what I needed for honing my shooting skills. Not once did I think about recoil, or dread the shot breaking, or experience any discomfort. This in turn made my head clearer and my groups tighter. I shot much more consistently. I'll have to use it a few more times to verify all of this, but thus far, it appears to be a winner for me.

Of course, I won't wear it in the field, but that doesn't matter. We're talking a single (and maybe a follow up) shot on an elk with adrenaline pumping - I won't care about the recoil. But the good part is that I will have spent the off season shooting and reinforcing good habits and clear thinking when I squeeze the trigger, as opposed to dreading the squeeze and anticipating the shot breaking. I could also see myself stepping up to snappier calibers like 300WM as a result.

So if you feel like your rifle is beating you up and don't want to go the muzzle brake route, this might be worth checking out.

bsnedeker

WKR
I use one of these every trip to the range. I can shoot my 300 WM with no shoulder pain for extended shooting sessions.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Standing and shooting free hand, rifles lock right into my shoulder comfortably. But prone or shooting from a bunch......my shoulder takes a pounding. It just doesn't line up well.

Fatcamp

WKR
Yup. That unit and a thick coat makes our .300WM tolerable. Without it a couple rounds is all I care to enjoy. My wife has shot 40 rounds of hunting ammo in a range trip using this method.

What’s nice is it kind of simulates wearing layers of clothing like you would be during hunting season.

When it comes to brakes, if you must use one, don’t go asking for what reduces the most recoil. These brakes tend to have the ports along the side and are the most effective at recoil reduction, but redirect all the gas to each side of your head. They’ll tend to be the loudest.

You will only need a slight reduction in recoil to be noticeable. Find a brake that is known to not be terribly loud. It should do the trick without killing your hearing for the day. I have found radial brakes to be a happy medium of not being terribly loud while reducing recoil enough to make a 40 round range day tolerable.

deadwolf

WKR
What’s nice is it kind of simulates wearing layers of clothing like you would be during hunting season.

When it comes to brakes, if you must use one, don’t go asking for what reduces the most recoil. These brakes tend to have the ports along the side and are the most effective at recoil reduction, but redirect all the gas to each side of your head. They’ll tend to be the loudest.

You will only need a slight reduction in recoil to be noticeable. Find a brake that is known to not be terribly loud. It should do the trick without killing your hearing for the day. I have found radial brakes to be a happy medium of not being terribly loud while reducing recoil enough to make a 40 round range day tolerable.

I’ll respectfully disagree. Brakes are loud and that’s rectified by hearing protection. So if youre already wearing hearing protection the type of brake is a moot point. A side baffle is night and day better than a radial at reducing recoil and would be my only choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll respectfully disagree. Brakes are loud and that’s rectified by hearing protection. So if youre already wearing hearing protection the type of brake is a moot point. A side baffle is night and day better than a radial at reducing recoil and would be my only choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are advantages and disadvantages to everything. I’ve never hunted with hearing protection because most opportunities where I live don’t offer a lot of time and it’s often the last thing on my mind when I see something to shoot. I only use a brake on hard kicking cartridge/rifle combos and just want to take a bit of the edge off of recoil, rather than completely mitigate it, mostly for the sake of my hearing and the people that share the range with me.

JRMiller

WKR
I use the linbsaver thats the same pad idea it just stays on the rifle butt.
Slips on and off easily but not enough to fall off.

TX_Diver

WKR
I use the linbsaver thats the same pad idea it just stays on the rifle butt.
Slips on and off easily but not enough to fall off.

I'll admit to owning one of those when I had a 300 WM.

On my savage I just replaced the stock pad w/ a softer limbsaver and have had no problems since.