A Question About Salting Bear Hides - Please Help!

In preparation for a quickly approaching late June Idaho bear hunt, I recently purchased two 25 lb. bags of salt, planning of course to use the salt on the hide(s). The problem is this: I foolishly purchased IODIZED salt by accident, and I'm likely stuck with it. So, should I buy two NEW bags of NON-iodized salt, or just use the iodized salt that I already have. I realize that non-iodized salt is better, but I don't know if the difference is so great that I shouldn't just use what I have this time out. Any advise is much appreciated! Has anyone actually used iodized salt on a bear hide and regretted it? Thanks everyone!!!

VernAK

WKR
We use non-iodized salt as a taxidermist advised that the iodine can stain the hide. I haven't tried iodized nor I have I seen the results.

prongbuck

FNG
You can buy a 50# bag of non iodized salt at most feed stores in Idaho for 6 or 7 bucks. I would suggest that you turn and flesh everything before salting or you will still have slippage. Make sure you skin the bear and get it cooled down as soon as you can. Don't let it sit overnight with the hide on. Depending on where you are hunting the temps could be in the 80s during the day.

No comment on the salt itself, but be damn sure that the hide is fleshed properly before adding any salt... if not, it will be a royal PITA for the taxidermist and may ruin the hide all together. Best of luck on your hunt, shoot one!