A quick review on some of my new gear.

After a 9 day hunt I felt like I had enough time with some of my new gear to do a review.

First, the team of EE quilts. So after using both a 30* synthetic and 0* down I was super impressed. I used the 30* down to 21* and was very warm. Almost too warm some nights. The 30* is a reg/reg and I found it to be a bit short in length for how I like to sleep. The 0* was a oven and did the job nicely the last two night. The long/wide was nice but I'm thinking a long/reg may be the perfect fit. It was amazing how much movement I had with the warmth. Extremely happy with a move to quilts.

Second, the Kodiak Canvas Tent.
This thing is awesome for a few guys and gear. I got the 10x14 deluxe and was more than happy. We set it up in about 20 minutes and quickly realized what we had been missing. The tent withstood high winds without a problem and a heavy rain. I did find the gear loft to be a bit useless as it hangs so low it gets in the way. Overall, this was a winner.

Last, Kifaru Tahr.
This was not a backpack trip but we do walk a bit and I did put some good miles on with the pack. I will say that the pack carries weight extremely well and I love to see it work with quarters. I like the fact that I can customize the bag as I need. My only complaint (if you can call it that), is that the weight of the pack it self is heavier that I'm used too. However, once I got the pack on and adjusted it stayed right in place and did not need any readjustment. I met a SF Major while hunting that asked about my bag because some of his guys were running them over seas. Overall, this was a winner.

That is about all of the new gear I had this year but happy with it all.

PA 5-0

WKR
Bro, what am I missing with these quilts. All the photos I've seen(not a ton) make it look like a down sleeping bag that unzips to flat. I can almost do that with my down bag. What's the catch??

OP
C
Th connection and cut are a bit different. I had a buddy try the sleeping bag unzipped and said the quilt was a better fit making it more comfortable. I was unsure myself until this past trip.

Here's the theory...... The insulation on the bottom of a sleeping bag is compressed by your body weight when sleeping; therefore, not retaining much/any body heat. Quilts cut weight by not using insulation in that part of the bag. If you have a decent sleeping pad, it will insulate you plenty, and you'll never miss the insulation.