A reminder for all you guys hesitant to blow $ on gear

KitsapDan

FNG
Are they trying to imply that having a few high rises, a car, and a bag of money brings mental stability? I'd say that if that's what they believe, then they have some mental instabilities. On the other hand, there are a ton of people out there that "just have to have" the latest and greatest whenever that comes out. They have similar instabilities as well. Bottom line is......there are a heck of a lot instabilities out there these days, regardless what their wealth and material state is.
You’ve met my soon to be ex-wife, huh?

bobinmi

WKR
There's no doubt that Dave's system works. I use a similar concept. However, I think his system is to spenders what AA is for actual Alcoholics. Some people can't control themselves with $$ and need a strict system with lots of rules that keep them inside of their income. I personally just avoid debt as much as possible and pay it off quickly when I feel that its the better option.

Squirrels

WKR
There's no doubt that Dave's system works. I use a similar concept. However, I think his system is to spenders what AA is for actual Alcoholics. Some people can't control themselves with $$ and need a strict system with lots of rules that keep them inside of their income. I personally just avoid debt as much as possible and pay it off quickly when I feel that its the better option.
Agreed, his system isn't for people trying to become financially independent as he calls. It's really for people with self control issues. He's more of a therapist than anything. I find it a joke, but if it helps someone in a bad spot then I can see the usefullness of it.

My wife and I, every time we've gotten raises or little windfalls we've directed them to our retirement or kids' expenses. We've essentially maintained the same quality of life/lifestyle for 10 years or so despite our salaries rising ~70% in that timeframe.

I still apply in 5 states and have had 2 western tags every year the last few years, this year I think I'll have 3, and then spend a decent amount of time in my home state.

I buy gear that lasts, or I think I can sell, and I buy a lot used. Had my first bow for 6 years before I upgraded. I have one rifle I'd take on a western hunt. I don't think these Sitka Ascent pants are ever going to die.

Bottom line, you don't need good gear to kill shit, you just need time.

KitsapDan

FNG
My wife and I, every time we've gotten raises or little windfalls we've directed them to our retirement or kids' expenses. We've essentially maintained the same quality of life/lifestyle for 10 years or so despite our salaries rising ~70% in that timeframe.

I still apply in 5 states and have had 2 western tags every year the last few years, this year I think I'll have 3, and then spend a decent amount of time in my home state.

I buy gear that lasts, or I think I can sell, and I buy a lot used. Had my first bow for 6 years before I upgraded. I have one rifle I'd take on a western hunt. I don't think these Sitka Ascent pants are ever going to die.

Bottom line, you don't need good gear to kill shit, you just need time.

I buy literally everything “big ticket” used.

A lot of people hating on Dave. His program helped educate my wife on the financial principles I was raised with and she was not! Her family blew through money like it was candy and didn’t have any issues with debt. She wouldn’t hear it from me but she did hear it from Dave! Now I wasn’t perfect and made some changes, but the real benefit of financial peace universitie was getting me and my wife on the same page in the same financial book! We still use a credit card that we pay off every month to make a bunch of points for travel, so we aren’t due-hard Dave’s way is the only way people, but the smarter financial decisions mean I have a bunch of First Lite, Tikka, Crispi, and other gear!

Poser

WKR
These threads always go down the wrong rabbit hole of solutions.

Here’s the advice:

Don’t get married, don’t formally co-habitate.
Get yourself a GF younger than you, preferably with no kids of her own, the older you get the greater the age difference. When she starts complaining about your hobbies, trade up and get yourself a new one, preferably younger and hotter. Spend your money however you see fit that best benefits you. Never, ever put yourself in a relationship situation where you have to ask permission to something you want to do.

If you really want to have kids, wait until you are at least in your late 30s if not early 40s when you’ve hit your financial stride. Marry you a nice young lady in her “babies rabies” phase of there abouts 28 years of age and be the kind of your castle.

Gorp2007

WKR

Here’s the advice:

Get yourself a GF younger than you, preferably with no kids of her own, the older you get the greater the age difference. When she starts complaining about your hobbies, trade up and get yourself a new one, preferably younger and hotter. Spend your money however you see fit that best benefits you. Never, ever put yourself in a relationship situation where you have to ask permission to something you want to do.

If you really want to have kids, wait until you are at least in your late 30s if not early 40s when you’ve hit your financial stride. Marry you a nice young lady in her “babies rabies” phase of there abouts 28 years of age and be the kind of your castle.
The "Heat" school of financial management*.

1626274395744.png

*which I have failed to live up to spectacularly.

WKR

Here’s the advice:

Oh, sure, NOW you tell me...

KitsapDan

FNG
or, build a life with someone who you love and trust and neither have to ask 'permission' as you are both walking to the same beat.........and have a LONG, HAPPY, FRUITFUL marriage. Trust me, its pretty awesome.

I could turn this into a whole discussion on women & relationships in no time flat.

Let’s just say I’ll never let my son repeat my mistakes.

First warning sign is her family relationships. If they’re not strong, yours will never be.

Poser

WKR
or, build a life with someone who you love and trust and neither have to ask 'permission' as you are both walking to the same beat.........and have a LONG, HAPPY, FRUITFUL marriage. Trust me, its pretty awesome.

I’d venture that almost every young man that gets married is 100% certain this is the arrangement he is signing up for. On paper, 50% of those men are wrong. In application, that’s realistically more like 80%. So, if one were to follow this idealistic advice outright in their 20s, they about a 20% chance of actually being happy with the outcome. Those aren’t very good odds. Waiting until you have your sit together financially, socially and philosophically -which for most men Won’t be until at least their mid to late 30s, likely creates the inverse statistical scenario.

This.

Met a cute gal when I was 20, married her when I was 21... 10 years and 3 kids later, we are both happier then we have ever been. Money comes and goes... Some years are better then others, but there's always more to be made. I would much rather have a happy relationship that we weather tough times together, then be financially set and have to weather relationship issues.

I recognize that I think I'm in the minority, but money doesn't bring me joy (lack of it can bring stress tho lol) but my wife and kids do.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk