A "Rokslide etiquette" list

Rob5589

WKR
I don't disagree but the more time Ryan and Robby have to spend monitoring it, the more likely it is going to get nixed.

The more rules we ask for, the more time and energy it takes to enforce them.

I will be honest, it really has only been the last two years that the classifieds have been brought up and the majority of the time it has been its for two things. People asking too much and people complaining about what people are asking for items.

People don't even read the rules, does anyone think they are a going read a paragraph or bullet points of etiquette?
Agree. A possible solution would be to make all FS threads locked with only the op having access. That way all correspondence would have to be via pm. I have seen that on another forum so I'm assuming it's possible here as well.

Zeiss82

FNG
How do I get a moderator to contact me? Please reach out off you know. Thanks a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolley78MT

Lil-Rokslider
Good points, would think it's mostly common sense issue but that's a rare commodity these days. However I probably could have introduced myself a little better so here it goes.

Names Josh, 44 years old, 6th generation Montanan who grew up in a family that considered hunting and fishing to be religion. Feel blessed to have had the guidance of my dad along the way as I see so many hunters who are trying to learn on their own.

September backcountry elk hunting is my passion although I have a moose hunt in bethel next September and it's just about all I can think about. Pretty bad since it's still a year away but has been a dream hunt since I was 10 years old.

Missing most of my archery season this year as I just had surgery to repair a hernia a week ago.

Just thought this forum looked like a good group of people that enjoyed hunting and fishing so that's why I'm here

Funny, all of us are in here, but are newbies really gonna read this?!

I made a suggestion awhile ago, that when a newbie signs up, he should be provided a welcome paragraph or two of basic etiquette, that after reading they check a box stating they have read them. I find this is a way to give a brand new person a few tips prior to him unknowingly posting that same first thread they all do with unit #'s. They in turn get blasted, and have no clue why the rain of hate is falling upon them. I think its a win-win.
To just point to a sticky and say "they are supposed to read it" isn't getting it done obviously!
Like you always read the 87 pages of terms and conditions before clicking agree?

Vaultman

WKR
Negotiating price / terms to classifieds in Private Message only. Don't try to negotiate by posting.

WKR
How am I supposed to divert hunting pressure away from good looking spots if I can't post decoy unit numbers in thread titles using fake accounts anymore?

Kidding! In all seriousness, I've gotten quite a few good deals on used gear through the classifieds this year. I am really hoping the classifieds don't go away. If a pinned general etiquette thread could help prevent that (seems unlikely), then I'd be all for it.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
ask and ye shall receive...................

Weber

FNG
- Putting specific units numbers in a title/post is a big no-no
This mentality is ridiculous in states like Alaska where some Units are the size of states, with the exception of maybe Sheep. I'm sure there are units where this "secrecy" is well intended, but for the most part this is a ridiculous attitude.

Unit numbers can be helpful to signify a difference in terrain or hunting challenges specific to a unit. Hunting a black bear in 6D is different than hunting a Black Bear in 15. BBoth are large enough and hunted enough yoou arent giving some secret away.

I do get the anti "where are all your big elk at" causing problems with everyone with a truck bombarding your hometown unit in the states.
ask and ye shall receive...................

^ This is actually really well written. Thank you @GlendonMullins

Last edited:
OP
Bachto

Bachto

WKR
This mentality is ridiculous in states like Alaska where some Units are the size of states, with the exception of maybe Sheep. I'm sure there are units where this "secrecy" is well intended, but for the most part this is a ridiculous attitude.

Unit numbers can be helpful to signify a difference in terrain or hunting challenges specific to a unit. Hunting a black bear in 6D is different than hunting a Black Bear in 15. BBoth are large enough and hunted enough yoou arent giving some secret away.

I do get the anti "where are all your big elk at" causing problems with everyone with a truck bombarding your hometown unit in the states.

There's a clear difference when someone is asking about terrain in a specific unit and then being like "where's a good place to go in unit 123" or something along the lines of that which is what i am specifically referring to. I also think Alaska gets a pass on that too.

I appreciate all the insight as a newbie. I think there are a lot of folks who want everything from everyone at a moments notice. We live in a society where we can have things at the touch of a button. Hence the "where should I hunt, and give me your secret spot" posts. Put in the work and the rewards should be seen.
Asking for advice is a different story, just remember not all advice is good advice...

Cheers

philcox

WKR
Action when ghosted by a potential buyer? I did pay/print the shipping label, his PP was not valid, never shipped, and I'll get a refund. No response back after a number of attempts. Wondering if I post to the thread warning others, or just chalk it up to "there's always some in a crowd"?

Thoughts?

antelopedundee

Lil-Rokslider
Who would monitor it and how would it be handled if someone does ask for F&F?

F&F has always been a risk that the buyer assumes by using it. I have been buying and selling for 15 years, it hasn’t changed since I started. Nobody has a gun to your head forcing you to purchase things. If the buyer and seller can’t agree on the terms, then they should walk away.

If people keep complaining about the classifieds it’s going to make Ryan and Robby’s decision to get rid of it real easy.
A little late, but you can mitigate your risk by paying F & F with a credit card. No big deal for sales under $200 or so IMO. You don't have PP protection, but your CC Company will go to bat for you in a dispute when you file a chargeback. Could end up costing you your PP account tho..

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patw