A Stroke of Beginner's Luck...2017 Elk Hunt

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
2017 has already been a memorable year for me. I was fortunante enough to backpack on the Kenai Peninsula in May for black bears, and watched my buddy Kyle take one with his rifle on the last night. I also got to chase velvet whitetails on public land in Kentucky, and if not for a well placed branch, I would have arrowed my first velvet buck on opening morning. The real jewel of my season was the tag that was coming in mid September.....

But first a little rewind. The night after Kyle shot his bear, we were back in Anchorage cutting it up in Trevor Embry's garage while talking future hunting plans. The topic of an OTC Idaho elk hunt came up and with some local intel, I was told me to swing for the fences on a tough to draw archery unit in Idaho. I got home a few days later, bought my Idaho hunting license and had my application completed. My odds were slim to none, so my planning was still focused on the OTC area I had picked out.

One night in late June, I saw Idaho released their draw, and a quick check revealed I had been the lucky winner of an amazing archery bull elk tag. A quick text to Trevor about my success and as luck would have it, one of his friends Travis lived near the unit for a few years and was real familiar with it. Over the next few months, me and Travis shared several texts and phone calls through July and August talking over my hunt and I was also put in touch with his friend Brad who lived nearby. Their knowledge of the area was so valuable for my scouting. Also signing up for the fun was Kyle, as he was ready to watch me be the shooter this go around and was coming along to call for me. I'm pretty sure if either of our old ladies heard us practice another elk bugle, we would have been single men headed west!

The morning of Septemeber 13th finally rolled around and I pulled my truck and a trailer loaded down with coolers into Kyle's driveway to pick him up. We arrived in Idaho 22 hours later at a campsite Brad had said would be a good place to start. A quick nap, camp organized, and a gear run, we set out to glass and listen for bugles. Unfortunately all we saw were people on four wheelers and dirt bikes moving camps into a timbered region of the unit. We noted this area for later. I felt like a kid waiting for my first ever deer opener that night as I laid in my cot.

Day 1- The next morning me and Kyle were up early and made a short drive from camp. We were going to follow a trail into an area Brad had seen some good bulls in a few weeks prior. A location bugle at dawn showed no response. We climb to the top of a ridge to get the wind in our favor and another bugle from my tube is sent into the bottoms. A few minutes later a response is heard from the next ridge over and a quick sweep of the binoculars reveals a large bull elk headed straight towards us. We wait until his visual is broken and we take off running down the hill to set up. The bull is in an alder filled creek bottom and we are unsure exactly where he plans to come out. Our problem is, we fear he is on private land. I set up close to the boundary line, and Kyle takes position behind me. 2 cow calls, and the bull responds. Kyle cuts him off and I see antlers emerging from the alders. It takes no time and the bull is close enough to me that I can see steam coming from his nostrils as he breathes. At 8 yards he bugles in front me.......staying on private land the whole time. I watch helplessly as a 6x6 bull elk passes right by me without ever giving me a legal opportunity at him. Not bad for a first hour of elk hunting though!!! The winds picked up shortly after, and the hunting is tough. Right at dark we hear a few bugles, but see no elk.

Day 2- We see 2 moose in the morning and find 2 other trucks hunting the same timber patch as us. We quit early and go get more water in town. We spend the rest of the day driving new areas void of people. We find a spot on the map that looks like a hell hole to get to. Due to private land boundaries, it's about a 7 mile walk through the hills. Kyle says I'm crazy, but I tell him he better hope I'm tagged out before the end of the week or he is following me in there. A 2 hour drive back to camp and we're in our cots.

Day 3- That spot of timber we saw the wheelers headed into earlier seems to be getting pounded daily by about half of the available tags for this unit. While that's still not too many people, those elk are getting pressured. Brad had marked a map for me showing a pocket of elk he knew of and between that and knowing those elk needed refuge, we formulated a gameplan to hunt a hard to get to ridge. We set off for an hours drive out of camp that morning. We left the truck at 5:15 and at 7:30, we're still climbing towards a patch of timber above us. Kyle takes a break and gets my attention to stop. A big bull is herding his cows to bed on the ridge next to us and a raghorn bull and a spike are shadowing them. We watch as the bull disappears over the top and we sneak a little further. I let out a bugle to get a key on his location. The responses come from 5 different directions as the whole hillside comes alive from bulls: The 3 bulls we spotted earlier, and 2 others who are closer. We take off running, completely unaware of our tired legs. Those bulls continue to fire off.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

OP
Scott/IL

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
We enter a stand of mature pines and I instantly see a rack. I drop to my knees but Kyle scans with his binocs and makes out a muley buck and doe. We watch them walk for a bit, and I take a few more steps and then see ELK. I drop back down and I see a spike and cow 80 yards in front of us. They are weary, but none the wiser as a total of 3 cows and the spike skirt around us and leave. We're in the game, so I close in a few more yards and get set up. Kyle knows the gig and starts calling. Instantly I see the rack and hear the bugle. A big 5x5 elk comes to 100 yards and over the next few minutes, he and Kyle have a bugling match back and forth with each other. AMAZING. As the bull walks behind a tree, I draw my bow waiting for him to walk into a clear lane. As I draw, I hear a clink, and my arrow falls off mid way to full draw. The bull never sees me, but he knows something is up and walks away slowly. Me and Kyle advance forward and in a few minutes we have him spotted again. The bull believes Kyle is still a threat to his cows and he comes back in. I range a tree at 57 yards and set my pin to 55 anticipating him to walk in front. He walks behind, I guess 62 yards and hold high lung. I release what feels like a perfect arrow and watch it fly towards the bull. As the arrow nears, the bottom just seems to fall out of the arrow and it goes just under the elk. I'm crushed. I find the bull's tracks and he was at 70 yards. I guessed wrong on the yardage and shot low.

The elk doesn't spook too bad, and we contemplate our next move. The thermals are not cooperating, so we make the tough decision to back off a few hundred yards. We sit on the hillside for the next 6.5 hours waiting.

At 5:15, we make our move as the thermals settle. I set up in a spot I have a clear lane well past my shooting range downhill and another 30 yards uphill. Kyle does a few cow calls and a challenge bugle. We sit for a few minutes and hear a response. A bugle comes from just out of sight as we hear the bull start to rake a tree. Kyle mimicks the bull with each bugle and I see a cow and calf run by at 60 yards. The calling and bugles continue as Kyle keeps raking the tree he is by. I can hear the bull coming, not his footsteps though, but rather his rack breaking branches as he approaches. I finally see him but I can only make out a large frame and nothing else. I range a tree at 18 yards and draw as he begins to enter it broadside. He bugles, Kyle answers and the bull turns on a dime. No shot. He changes his direction and starts coming closer. At 15 yards I see his rack as he is a hard quatering to me. He's big. At least 7 on his left side. I wait at full draw as he continues coming closer. At 9 yards the angle is much better as he's just a very slight quartering to. I put my pin on his shoulder blade, move back a bit as the bull walks by and hit the trigger. I see my arrow enter the bulls cavity and he spins and runs. I nock another arrow and stop the bull with a cow call and bugle but I can't find a way to thread an arrow through the brush. I opt to watch him with my binocs. I see my entry point and I'm satisfied but the bull is walking away. I start to see his legs get wobbly, and I lose sight of him. When this happens everything in my body goes limp and I collapse with an uncontrollable case of shaking and trembling. I had waited my entire life for this, way back since I was a kid pretending in the backyard that I was hunting elk using a whistle as a bugle. I was pretty positive I had just completed a dream of mine. The feeling is something I can't explain in words as a weird kind of emotion settled over me. Kyle finds me and thinks I missed with how shook up I am. I muster the words out..."I think I just killed him, he's dead."

We back out a bit due to a lack of blood. Travis and Brad are in town, and despite never meeting me in person, they agree to come find us on top of the mountain. I go back in and find my arrow. It passed through, and I'm positive I have a single lung/liver hit. Brad, Travis, and his cousin Jake meet us a few hours after the shot. We pick up the trail and about 200 yards later, Kyle stumbles upon a dream come true. I run up there and I'm left speechless. There were no words as I put my hands on my bull. I had waited for that moment from the first time I ever saw a bull elk bugle on a Primos VHS as a kid and it was now sitting there right in front of me. I soaked it in. A 6x8 bull laid dead there at my feet.

A few pictures later, and the butchering started and all 5 of us had our packs loaded and headed down the mountain.....well I rolled down the mountain as I spent half of the time losing my footing on the loose shale rock....I was loving it though. At 4:30 that morning, we we're finally back at camp.

The next few days were fun as well. And there's another story for the following week. The short version is we hiked into the backcountry on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning Kyle and Travis were moving in on a big herd bull with me calling. We were in elk all day, but no arrows were released. Unfortunately weather moved in, and we had to hike back out Thursday morning and our hunt was over. Friday, we were packed up and headed back to Illinois.

I'm sorry for the lack of pics. There were some issues with my point and shoot camera, so I was left with just my cell phone. Attatched are some pictures of my bull along with me and Travis holding mine and his cousin Jake's bull from a few days before. It was an amazing trip, and Brad and Travis are some of the best people out there. They were lifesavers after I arrowed my bull, and it was a great time getting to hang around them after for a few days.

I hope you enjoyed the story. I know I can't wait to do it again.
e24560e542117dcdbd3926e4fa028352.jpg
87233abc4f93465562ccc5b0361db703.jpg
57142a5b2c58162c0f069a76406feff4.jpg
507540d7a035d0b744a5699c8d82dcbf.jpg

OP
Scott/IL

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing your experience. Looking forward to next year!
I can't wait to return to the elk woods already. I'm not sure if next years adventures will lead me back or not, but I will definitely be back.