A thought on Taking elk for granted... Thank you wapiti!

trkyslr

WKR
I'm like a lot of you guys where elk hunting is my favorite and I live it year around. But I was thinking how elk the animal has really made me who I am today and for the better by far! I can honestly say without elk hunting in my life I may not work out year around as hard as I do and be as strong both physically and mentally. I may not eat as healthy as I do. And I may not be as committed and have goals such as i do. Now if I didn't hunt elk I may have another obsession which may lead me down the same path and life style but I do not know if so...

Elk has had a huge influence on my life to be stronger, healthier, smarter, more dedicated and so on. For this when I (you) kill an elk think about this and when the time comes when youre on the mountain standing over your elk it should be more meaningful. So a big thank you to elk from me, my family, and friends! And I will say that to the bull I kill this fall and the ones I leave behind in memories!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well said trkyslr! Much of what you conveyed applies to my life as well...many years back I started burying the elk heart after each harvest after reading a story in Bugle Magazine in which an outfitter said a prayer for the Wapiti that was harvested. They are to be respected!

TJ

WKR
You know, I've never thought of elk hunting in that perspective, but you are SO RIGHT.

So many things we do are oriented towards this goal.

Very well said, thanks.

littlebuf

Banned
why i quite smoking many years ago when i started getting serious about elk hunting. one elk hunt in particular actually changed my life. found God on the mountain after a long absence.funny what he'll use but with as much passion and energy that i put towards it looking back it was really a pretty obvious choice. real protocol son stuff i know but the elk was the catalyst. septembers havnt been the same since.my favorite time of year

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
To me it's like crack! I wake up thinking about Elk and I go to bed thinking about Elk. Sometime I wish I would of taken up fishing, sometimes:)

ktowncamo

WKR
Amen! I'm having desires to develope a similar respect and passion for high country mule deer, but I can say for sure that the passion for elk has changed me. When I've been fortunate enough to stand over an elk, I kneel and give God thanks and I thank the elk for its life. Never take that for granted!

I have hunted Elk, I have spent as much time in Elk country as I could in the last year and a half since moving out west, I have had Elk in range and passed, I have been on successful Elk hunts, but I have never taken one. This December I plan on it though and I can't wait. I have a feeling that it is going to light a fire under my ass much like whitetails used to. It won't be anything like the rut hunts I have been on, but none the less, it's elk hunting!

We said a prayer after this young man shot his Elk, everyone was holding the antlers, all the while we had 5-10 bulls within a few hundred yards bugling their heads off, talk about a moving experience!

attachment.php