a tip experiences

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
if you have been running the hornady a tip on game please post your experiences with data and pics here.

Recently I went out on a cow elk hunt and had a shot at 640 yards, shooting my 338 snipetac with a 300 grain atip at 3300fps and drilled a cow dead center of shoulder, it blew the shoulder up and ended up not penetrating the chest. I tracked her for 1.5 miles and never found anything looking terminal and only seen her once in some really thick brush but couldn't make a shot.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for stating the obvious here... but if you didn't recover the animal, how do you know so much detail about what the bullet did/didn't do? What if it hit her far back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sportsmans challenge

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Sorry for stating the obvious here... but if you didn't recover the animal, how do you know so much detail about what the bullet did/didn't do? What if it hit her far back?

Blood trail, watching the bullet hit her through the scope, didnt think i went into such detail that that couldn't have been figured out. I didn't mention she went uphill, ran later on and went uphill again. In all over that mile she climbed 700 ish ft in elevation from where she was shot to last spot blood was found. In between start to stop she went up then down, then up and up again in the terrain, it wasn't all just gradual terrain

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Blood trail, watching the bullet hit her through the scope, didnt think i went into such detail that that couldn't have been figured out. I didn't mention she went uphill, ran later on and went uphill again. In all over that mile she climbed 700 ish ft in elevation from where she was shot to last spot blood was found. In between start to stop she went up then down, then up and up again in the terrain, it wasn't all just gradual terrain

Yikes, I would have expected better penetration out of a 300 grainer. Especially at 640 yards. I'm setting up a new RUM barrel soon for the 250 a-tip. I do like what I've seen from it so far in high speed and low speed impact testing. No on game experience though

OP
sportsmans challenge

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I hit her with 4485ft lbs of energy i told Ryan and a few others in my head I was saying " watch this shit" she should have been anchored right there.

There will be more that post eventually, but there are multiple people I have heard of with less than good results

a 300 grain atip at 3300fps

Seems there are a handful of atip bullets blowing up (as in not making it to the target) like the eldm. 3300 FPS isn't a mild treatment so what you're saying kind of makes sense but with 300 grainers you'd hope there is some more forgiveness. Hard to picture 300 grains splashing so badly they dont get into the body cavity.

OP
sportsmans challenge

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Seems there are a handful of atip bullets blowing up (as in not making it to the target) like the eldm. 3300 FPS isn't a mild treatment so what you're saying kind of makes sense but with 300 grainers you'd hope there is some more forgiveness. Hard to picture 300 grains splashing so badly they dont get into the body cavity.
Yeah it still blows my mind when I think about cup and core and all that weight not driving through at that range. I know it destroyed her shoulder, her leg was flipping around like a sock with rocks in it after the shot. Only reason I didn't hit her again was due to the rest of the herd around her, i thought for sure i was gonna shoot again and it would blow right through her and hit another. After the herd started moving I just waited, she looked like she was gonna lose hope and stay there, but the 2 bigger bulls pushed her up and over the ridge only a 100 yards or so above her, i thought she would be dead up top anyway, but she wasnt.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I also know of two bulls and a muley killed with a 230 Atip out of a 30 Nosler.

Anyone else have field experience?

Broz

WKR
We took several elk with them last season, about 1/2 way through I quit using them and went to the 245 Berger. The 230 A Tips were way to explosive for elk. Shot two bulls in one evening with them. One at 1028 yards and one at 850. Neither exited. It killed the bulls, but when you put one in the crease at 1028 yards on a broadside bull, and it only put 3 small nicks on the far side inner rib cage, IMO the bullet is way to explosive. I have posted a warning before several times, I would look at a different bullet for game. The 245's however are looking awesome and that is what I will be running this year.

28bang

WKR
We took several elk with them last season, about 1/2 way through I quit using them and went to the 245 Berger. The 230 A Tips were way to explosive for elk. Shot two bulls in one evening with them. One at 1028 yards and one at 850. Neither exited. It killed the bulls, but when you put one in the crease at 1028 yards on a broadside bull, and it only put 3 small nicks on the far side inner rib cage, IMO the bullet is way to explosive. I have posted a warning before several times, I would look at a different bullet for game. The 245's however are looking awesome and that is what I will be running this year.

jeff, you use the cutting edge lazers yet?

I have a good bit of experience from quartering shots, broadside, and front on shots in large/very large Indiana deer. I have been shooting the 230 Atips out of a 300 WSM over h1000 at 2750fps and arguably one of the most accurate loads that I have made. 5 shots on large deer over the past two seasons and I can tell you , I will never use them again. Shots ranged from 250 to 700 and all were deplorable. They pretty much blow up and are not creating good wound cavities or knockdown appropriate for their caliber. I could always expect good penetration from my 210 Berger vlds and awesome knockdown. With these atips, it is very questionable and I cannot recommend them to anyone who is serious about bringing home their quarry.

if you have been running the hornady a tip on game please post your experiences with data and pics here.

Recently I went out on a cow elk hunt and had a shot at 640 yards, shooting my 338 snipetac with a 300 grain atip at 3300fps and drilled a cow dead center of shoulder, it blew the shoulder up and ended up not penetrating the chest. I tracked her for 1.5 miles and never found anything looking terminal and only seen her once in some really thick brush but couldn't make a shot.

I am shooting a 6.5x284. I agree if you are a shoulder shooter this is not the bullet for you. I am a meat hunter and will avoid these shots at all possible scenarios even if it means letting it walk. This a behind the shoulder exit hole of a cow elk shot at 400Yrds using 153 A tips. 20221120_112911.jpgIt didn't walk away

Deadnoise

FNG
Im testing 230g atips now out of my 300 prc, heard good things but now reading this makes me wonder, i have a late NV bull tag and may need to be trying another bullet.... any reccomendations with good results?