A true giant-of-a deer

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've been so busy with Rokslide this last year, I haven't been scouring the web much for really big deer. Finally got over to Monster Muleys today and found this really good buck.

At 1:37, he shows you what he's really made of! What a buck. I've only seen a few of these on the hoof in 30+ years of looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j-17N5B9Lk

Like usual, the ethics police on that website are ripping on the guys for being too close, etc. so we really don't need to go into that over here. Just didn't want the Roksliders miss out on a great deer. Didn't look like to me that the buck minded the people too much. Around 8:00, he's posing for a still pic at 15 yards!

I say "hat's off" to the guys who got it on film and got the sheds

The elk bugle that spooks him was a cell phone ringing and I'm pretty sure the buck knew it wasn't an elk :)

I'd guess it's an Idaho deer by the browse he's feeding on, but that is just a guess. Could be N. Utah/Nevada, E. Oregon, too. Hard to know. Doesn't matter. Enjoy.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is a beast. I don't know if I'd violate my own winter ground ethics for those sheds luckily I don't have to test myself. It's really the only time their guard is down so it is a true catch22

Like usual, the ethics police on that website are ripping on the guys for being too close, etc. so we really don't need to go into that over here. Just didn't want the Roksliders miss out on a great deer. Didn't look like to me that the buck minded the people too much. Around 8:00, he's posing for a still pic at 15 yards!

I say "hat's off" to the guys who got it on film and got the sheds

I guess "ethics police" refers to anybody that wants to give these bucks a chance to rest? These deer are post rut and in their most vulnerable state. I for one hate seeing people out on the wintering ground putting pressure on these deer every single day while waiting for them to drop their antlers. Hell, in some places it can be a damn footrace to the sheds, deer be damned. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I am to the point now where I wish they would amend the rules regarding Governers Tags. Here in CO the tag holders can hunt waist deep snow on the wintering ground to the end of December and I wish they would change it to where the tag holders could just hunt until the end of 4th season and then shut it down. Its still a hell of a tag

Anymore these big deer get hammered 24/7/365. I don't think its unreasonable to want to give them a break while they are trying to survive the winter

Flame away

Drummond

that is a bad ass deer. I feel sorry for the deer, not because of any ethics issues or harassment.... but because footage when he only has his left antler on looks incredibly annoying. A chunk of bone hanging on one side only had to give him neck issues haha

Joe

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I seen that one a while ago when he first poted pics of it, that's an awesome buck! Be awesome to find a set like that... And according to the posts I read I believe it's an Idaho buck...

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I guess "ethics police" refers to anybody that wants to give these bucks a chance to rest? These deer are post rut and in their most vulnerable state. I for one hate seeing people out on the wintering ground putting pressure on these deer every single day while waiting for them to drop their antlers. Hell, in some places it can be a damn footrace to the sheds, deer be damned. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I am to the point now where I wish they would amend the rules regarding Governers Tags. Here in CO the tag holders can hunt waist deep snow on the wintering ground to the end of December and I wish they would change it to where the tag holders could just hunt until the end of 4th season and then shut it down. Its still a hell of a tag

Anymore these big deer get hammered 24/7/365. I don't think its unreasonable to want to give them a break while they are trying to survive the winter

Flame away

Drummond

Drummond, points well taken and can't say I'd disagree. However, all that was getting covered on MM and not the battle I want to fight on this thread.

A monster monster deer... I would give up killing elk the rest of my life if I could whack a buck like that every 5 years! lol

Mike

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Mike! you're funny.
I wish I could even see a buck like that every 5 years!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is one beautiful buck and any hunter would be very proud to take him, but he aint worth giving up a season of elk hunting for sure:)

^Says the two folks from northern Idaho... and we ALL know how weird you guys are... ;)

Robby, it really would only take a 190 buck every 5 years... still a tall order! Hell I'm still waiting for my first mature muley! Already killed a few elk and they're much harder to pack out! :p

Mike

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have to fall into the weird category to prefer mature bulls over muley bucks.........count me in that is a compliment I will gladly take:)))

Wow that is one great buck. I can't imagine the thoughts running through a hunters head when a buck like that is actually spotted in the field.

tstowater

WKR
Holy crap, that is a nice buck. Saw a really nice one in the Henry's in December, but this one puts it to shame. Wow!!!!