a worthwhile read- The Comfort Crisis

AdamLewis

FNG
I liked the book OK, though I don't generally like the "I did this thing as a tourist and had an epiphany" type stories.

Ted Kaczynski wrote about something similar that he called The Power Process. Essentially people need to set goals, put in effort in pursuit of them, and achieve them. That is how they develop self esteem and confidence.

TSAMP

WKR
If the book frees up I'd be interested in taking a turn. I have some I could offer in a swap. Hit me up.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Was in need a book for audible so took mtw's suggestion.

Finished it in a week. Easy listen. Good pace. Nothing earth shattering but definitely a motivator to stay on the path I'm on.

Confirmed alot of things I have felt.

Worth a listen.

TXCO

WKR
I just finished it. Really enjoyed it. Honestly whether it was confirmation bias or just reinforcement, it really reinforced a lot of our ways of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
After having to sleep on the side of a mountain during my Dall hunt (with our camp gear safely stashed three miles away! :ROFLMAO: ) definitely reinforced the idea that being getting a little uncomfortable is not the end of the world.

Luckily the "night" above the Arctic Circle at this time of year is only about 4.5 hours or it could have been more than a little uncomfortable :D

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Read this thread right as you posted it and it inspired me to read the book. EASILY the best book I have ever read (other than the Bible, of course). Just a wealth of knowledge, and honestly I may read it again soon. It motivates, educates, and captivates synchronously. Just a special book that I do not think could have been written better! Thank you for recommending, @mtwarden

JStol5

WKR
Anyone pick up his new book, “Scarcity Brain”, yet? I think I prefer comfort crisis a lot more…. About 100 pages in.

CMF

WKR
Anyone pick up his new book, “Scarcity Brain”, yet? I think I prefer comfort crisis a lot more…. About 100 pages in.
I'm working on it now, the comfort crisis was better. it's interesting tho...
I'm on audible and I'm certainly tired of the slot machine sound effects, lol

JStol5

WKR
I'm working on it now, the comfort crisis was better. it's interesting tho...
I'm on audible and I'm certainly tired of the slot machine sound effects, lol
I’m sure those sound effects get old… if I read the words “scarce”, “loop”, or “scarcity loop” one more time I’m going to lose my scarcity mind!

SCARCITY BRAIN SPOILER ALERT

In all seriousness, I loved comfort crisis. But I think scarcity brain is just too all over the place without a clear, consistent message throughout. I understand his premise is that humans evaluate a lot of things through the lens of abundance/scarcity but I think he’s stretching with this one a bit. It’s pretty all over the place between drugs in the Middle East, shed hunting, benedictine monks, processed foods, and slot machines. Sorry to spoil it for anyone…

I like Easter’s writing but I feel like he just picks topics he likes (rucking, hunting, drug use, gambling, what have you) and tries to find something to wrap them all around. I think it was pretty effective in comfort crisis but I’m struggling to enjoy this one nearly as much. Anyone else have thoughts?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I saw he had a new book out I was pretty excited; when I read reviews and what the premise of the book was, less excited.

On the topic of the Comfort Crisis book, it's interesting how expectations influence your perception of discomfort, and its value... if expecting things to be easy or that you're owed something, it is easy to be both miserable and disappointed, and you learn much less than you would if factoring discomfort intentionally...

As a believer in Christ, knowing that we are in a spiritual war and that persecution will come helps make sense of trials.

In Philippians 1:27-30, the Apostle Paul writes:
Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel, and not frightened in anything by your opponents. This is a clear sign to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God. For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and now hear that I still have.

That might be disconnected from the physical value of being challenged, the the book sparked those thoughts.

For what it's worth, what can be learned from the book should bring value to your ability to serve your family + it's a decent primer when preparing your heart and mind for tougher endeavors.