a worthwhile read- The Comfort Crisis

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
9 minutes in (got the audio book). I had to laugh when Easter said "I come from a long line of men who seam to run on booze, bullshit, and self serving chaos." It is fitting for the over dramatic style of chapter one.

I doubt many guys would enjoy it, as it is an understated telling of adventure, but Easter could use dialing the drauma back and splitting the difference between his style and Van Hemert's in The Sun is a Compass.

Ok, I'll shut up and finish the book.

*zap*

WKR
We live in a society in which quite a few people do not even want to work up a good sweat let alone have discomfort. So, I agree with you mtwarden.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm on chapter 7 now. It gets better after chapter 1 and is proving to be interesting. Some things remind me of concepts from the military, such as stress inoculation.

I disagree with the 'don't die' rule, more in semantics than in practice. I would say, don't be stupid and take reasonable safety measures is a better rule. Even the rights of passage events he talks about clearly carry the risk of death.

Perhaps I am miss understanding the rule though. Perhaps it is more 'survival trumps completion.' Risking death is allowed, but getting "summit fever" (to barrow from mountaineering) or "sun poisoning (to borrow from Backcountry skiing) is unacceptable. From the context of his caribou hunt, this actually appears to be a more accurate interpretation.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I disagree with the 'don't die' rule, more in semantics than in practice. I would say, don't be stupid and take reasonable safety measures is a better rule. Even the rights of passage events he talks about clearly carry the risk of death.

Perhaps I am miss understanding the rule though. Perhaps it is more 'survival trumps completion.' Risking death is allowed, but getting "summit fever" (to barrow from mountaineering) or "sun poisoning (to borrow from Backcountry skiing) is unacceptable. From the context of his caribou hunt, this actually appears to be a more accurate interpretation.

That's the way I took it. Many (most?) of our backcountry outings there is always a risk of death, mitigate it and don't take "stupid" risks, but by all means get out there and enjoy it (even when it's unpleasant :D)

LostArra

WKR
One of Steve Rinella's better comments was about taking kids hunting and the idea of "voluntary discomfort". Being cold, wet and a little hungry while pursuing game has some life lessons even if you don't kill anything.

3forks

WKR
Glad to see the concepts in this book resonating with so many people.

If the Comfort Crisis becomes the “companion“ book to Rokslide, I hope the discussion in the book about not doing things because you want an audience (i.e. likes and attention on social media) is embraced as much as the concepts of challenging yourself and delayed gratification are.

Sapcut

WKR
Worth reading- The Comfort Crisis by Michael Easter. Easter is a freelance journalist who write for Men's Health, Outside and a few others. This book offers a good discussion on a lot of interesting topics relating to health, but with a focus on why it's important to to challenge ourselves and embrace some discomfort for both our mental and physical health. In the backdrop is Michael Easter (a non-hunter until right now) on a multi-week caribou hunt in the Brook Range- he definitely is out of his comfort zone :D

“We are living progressively sheltered, sterile, temperature-controlled, overfed, underchallenged, safety-netted lives.”

"Do hard things and the rest of life gets easier”
Totally agree. Suffering is underrated. Ask Jesus

elkyinzer

WKR
The premise is once a year, you setup a challenge that you 'should' fail.....run 30 miles, etc......and see how you respond....it was quite interesting

I sure as hell can't run 30 miles, but I could make a run at drinking 30 beers. I think I have this figured out, I'll tell my wife the next guys trip is inspirational guru wellness type stuff.

MattB

WKR
One of my kids was very advanced and ended up in a special class for gifted students. In the class at the age of 6 she was expected to name 50 countries and their capitals as well as place them on a map and a bonus for naming 25 rivers of the world.

I spoke with the teachers about the curriculum as it would be difficult for most adults.

The teachers explained to me that the goal was to cause failure. People do not do well with failure if they have never experienced it before. High level students are particularly hard on themselves once they do fail and the class was designed to not only test them to failure, but also show them that it's normal and recoverable.

I never even considered that before the conversation.
My wife has a phrase, "fail forward". Basically, fail but learn from it and get better. Snowflake medicine. ;-) Too many kids these days never fail early in life and then fall flat on their face because they are too far along in life before they experience it.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
More like hard lessons. If you not learning something from these hard lessons, then you are failing.

As for the book, I enjoyed it. Im not a reader so I listened to it during my hour drive to work/home. Got to the point where I didn’t want to go inside so I could keep listening.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
So, I found the brown fat bit fascinating as it fills in a hole in my understanding of physiology and explains things. Such as, how come I no longer shiver in moderate cold and why some people do not shiver at temps that I do and vice versa.

I had to do some more reading as the book just touched on it.

So. It looks like moderate cold exposure increases brown fat and increased brown fat improved metabolic markers (and probably health). However, the body likely compensates for increased caloric burn by increasing intake, so without calorie restriction simply exposing oneself to cold is unlikely to result in weight loss. However, like activity, cold exposure can be used to combat decreased metabolic rate due to calorie restriction (as indicated by including an animal study, not the strongest level of evidence for some of that).

Claypa

FNG
Great book. It's not hard to see these things in myself and those around me. Would recommend it to anyone.

schlumpyj

FNG
The ironic thing, as Joe Rogan pointed out, is that the author is not really going out of his comfort zone by publishing this. Who (reasonably) is going to suggest not challenging yourself?