A Zone Chatter 2020

MeatBuck

WKR
Share your 2020 A zone experiences, trials, tribulations, field photos, frustrations and the like right here for the rest of us to see/hear, have a laugh at or even give some words of encouragement, etc.

Just remember we do have a thread for sharing blacktail successes, this ones just for the general talk.

Last edited:

cmahoney

WKR
I’m not looking for your honey hole, just a good general area in A zone to shoot a spork from the road. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
I’m not looking for your honey hole, just a good general area in A zone to shoot a spork from the road. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uhh most guys who are doing that are on private or nf. Hope that helps.

jfs82

WKR
Went back out Wednesday, found some nice habitat eventually, lots of sign, fresh sign. See deer in the distance, OnX and they're on a parcel of private, wait a while, wind shifts, they bolt over the top of the ridge. I decide to leave the area to see somewhere else, flat tire ends my day.

Also, it's been hot as hell out there!IMG_1543.JPG

Azone

WKR
Im probably gonna wait out this heat wave before I go on my next hunt. 112 yesterday at my place and 116 up at my friends ranch. It’s a little bit cooler today at 108 before the wind came up but already having one hanging in a cooler has me not wanting to play heat stroke roulette this weekend. I may go spend a couple hours in the morning at a spot I can get a deer out of fairly quick but I’m really not wanting to chance a deer spoiling before I can get in on ice or hung up in a cooler.

• Banned
OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Im probably gonna wait out this heat wave before I go on my next hunt. 112 yesterday at my place and 116 up at my friends ranch. It’s a little bit cooler today at 108 before the wind came up but already having one hanging in a cooler has me not wanting to play heat stroke roulette this weekend. I may go spend a couple hours in the morning at a spot I can get a deer out of fairly quick but I’m really not wanting to chance a deer spoiling before I can get in on ice or hung up in a cooler.
In the same boat. I’ll have to get out a couple times but I’m gonna be selective about what I kill.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Went out last night after it was 112 degrees as the high around 4pm. I saw some deer but nothing shootable. 5 does, 1 small fork, and 1 big bodied spike.

Going to take a break and let it cool off a few degrees the next week or so before I’ll head back out.

Azone

WKR
Who has fire problems after the lightning storms this weekend? There’s one burning north of me on private ground that has the potential to get ugly. I hope forest closures don’t start popping up.

jfs82

WKR
My dad is at the base of Mt Barnabe that was burning yesterday but seems it's out now but there's more lightning going now.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
I wouldn’t complain if there was a fire in my hunt area (until the you know who pile into it), mainly because it’s going to be too damned hot to hunt the next week or more so might as well help the vegetation and wildlife with a quick hot fire while hunting is slow. After all that’s what lightening this time of year is for.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Fire north of us is big but still a few miles off. My sister had to evacuate her property due to the del puerto canyon fire that nobody is talking about. Much bigger than the north bay fire.

Two of my hunt areas are in the paths of each one of these fires. Curious to see how it looks later this week and into the weekend.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Also. My property got struck by lightning and it blew out our 3 phase transformer. Loudest thunder crack I’ve ever heard. Whole house flashed and then the house shook from the thunder.

Was out of power from yesterday morning until 5:30 this morning. No well pumps with no 3 phase power so had to haul in some water last night for the 70 cows, 20 horses, 40 goats, 20 chickens, and 8 dogs haha. Between fire watch and no power and no water I haven’t slept in a couple days.

Buy a ranch they said, it will be fun they said. Haha.