A Zone Chatter 2020

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Sounds like you’re taking it harder than the deer.

My hunt area burned 4/5 yrs ago and would benefit from another. The deer never left. I even killed one in the “wasteland” same year it burned.

They love the ash, they roll in it to get rid of the fleas and ticks.

Are you saying the deer are going to be killed by the fire when u say “hit herd hard”?

View attachment 210253View attachment 210254

How hard hit was your burned area? Doesn’t sound like it was that bad if the deer never left. It wasn’t miles and miles of habitat completely gone from what it sounds like. They aren’t going to magically come back if there is no longer any shelter and no food. That’s not how it works. I’ve seen this before. Been through it before. Normal burns every few years I like. Not the one this year. Different situation completely.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
How hard hit was your burned area? Doesn’t sound like it was that bad if the deer never left. It wasn’t miles and miles of habitat completely gone from what it sounds like. They aren’t going to magically come back if there is no longer any shelter and no food. That’s not how it works. I’ve seen this before. Been through it before. Normal burns every few years I like. Not the one this year. Different situation completely.
So hard yo momma felt it... haha

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
I saw where guys were going into the “closed” cache creek area from pull offs along the hwy, They’ve since shut down the hwy so there’s none of that going on now. Scratched evening hunt to better concentrate my efforts tomorrow in a different “open” area.

Warmsy

WKR
Sucks getting it yet I hear you. Anything you do to prevent getting it? First time I had it and want to avoid a 2nd.

Damn, I've had it many times, sometimes causing 2" blisters. Be careful of tecnu, it makes mine way worse (allergic reaction?). I've tried everything except buckthorn... will try that this year if I get it. I've found that if I was exposed to a lot of it, I don't shower for a few days, and that greatly reduces my reaction. You can't avoid getting it if you want to have fun! But you'll have to find what works fir you when you do get it.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Was out all day yesterday, smoky early then cleared with nice breeze. Saw some does early but most of the action was from 5p on. Saw 12-15 deer total, (three may have been the same ones from morning).
Watched a mean old doe chasing away a fawn. She had one of her own but I think this other one was lost or orphaned. Either way she didn’t want it near her or her fawn. Was pretty sad to watch actually. Poor thing kept circling back to them but the bitch doe was high alert and eventually it kept its distance from them. Unfortunately they were on my trail and it was getting dark so I had to bump them off the ridge as I made my way down to truck.
Hope the little one survives or finds mom.
Got excited for about 20 seconds over a deer thrashing brush with head until it pulled head out and there was about a 4” spike where branched antlers should have been.
Weather’s going back to shit, will be back out this evening in hopes of killing one before next heatwave.

Last edited:
OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
2 does this evening, smoke was bad.
Went to same place I went yesterday and there was 2 water dishes and a food dish and half a plate of wet pet food where I parked. Either somebody lost a pet while traveling or otherwise lost their mind thinking they’re feeding any domestic animals there. Was strange to say the least.
Gotta take a day off from hunting tomorrow but Wednesday I’ll be back at it.

Anybody else been out recently? Seen any bucks?

calvb1

FNG
The smoke has just been crazy up our way. I tagged out early in Azone this year so havent been out on the hunt last 2 weeks, but even just trying to keep fit for B zone has been chore!

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Saw 6 bucks today despite the trail being blown out with boot tracks. Nothing that got me excited though.
Rattler scared piss outta me as I was coming out in dark no headlamp. Passed him on a two track I was in middle he was on my right. Buzzed and I quickly went left and muttered profanities simultaneously.
More afraid of being bitten by one of them than any cats or boogie men getting me in the dark with no light on. Damned buzz worms.

calvb1

FNG
Saw 6 bucks today despite the trail being blown out with boot tracks. Nothing that got me excited though.
Rattler scared piss outta me as I was coming out in dark no headlamp. Passed him on a two track I was in middle he was on my right. Buzzed and I quickly went left and muttered profanities simultaneously.
More afraid of being bitten by one of them than any cats or boogie men getting me in the dark with no light on. Damned buzz worms.
Glad to hear bucks are still out and moving. The one advantage of the smoke is that scent will be less if an issue. Still got a few weeks to pick your deer.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Haven’t had a chance to get out. Wife and kids keeping me busy. Out of town this weekend helping my friend get his cabin ready for fall/winter. Lots of work to get done. Hope to be back out hunting later in the week next week but my sisters house burned down in the fires. Helping her get an old rental rental house liveable for her and her family starting next Tuesday. Life is good and busy but I want to get back out before A zone wraps up.

Been a somewhat slow A zone this year for me so far. Seeing lots of young bucks and bears but no shooters yet. Will be hunting all this weekend. With temps set to soar will see how it goes.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Glad to hear bucks are still out and moving. The one advantage of the smoke is that scent will be less if an issue. Still got a few weeks to pick your deer.
Less than 20 days to go...
Smoke wasn’t bad yesterday, couldn’t smell it but was a bit hazy at times. Walked up on three of em bedded on open ridge top with wind at my back. Blowing right at them but they didn’t blow out. One stood looked at me, the next did the same. Had Mexican standoff for a couple minutes before raising and lowering my rifle half a dozen times made one uneasy. As they stared I kept thinking there’s a third deer here somewheres but couldn’t move laterally to get different angle with them staring holes in me. Soon as they went to leave the third buck made his exit just ahead of the other two. Never got great look but almost certain he was the one I was there for.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Three young bucks today, 16 deer total.
Guys walked through the area I was glassing and had a guy come in late and walk past me as I glassed.
Three shots came from backside of hill I was watching and then another guy moved around the ridge beyond the hill and a fourth shot rang. Then he came back down the ridge towards the direction the first guy went. Later I saw them walking and talking but didn’t appear to be dragging a buck and wasn’t time for a boneout. About 10a I see one of the two guys walking out with a different guy. Not sure what happened there but from my angle I didn’t hear a flesh pop after any shot. Likely that he was shooting at one of the two three yr old forkies I saw yesterday.
Then my back seized up while glassing and smoke started to roll in as heat picked up. Gonna spend a day or two nursing back before trying it again. Damned back problems!