A Zone Opener in Mendocino County

Our group started 45+ years ago with just my brother and I, after another 15 years a couple good friends came into the mix, after that some of us had sons who love to hunt. Here we are all those years later. I hope we have many more to come!

Attachments

• P1000165-1.jpg
    P1000165-1.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 88
Is the yellow dog a cur of some kind? I’m guessing the dogs hunt also as they are in the pic and the jack looks like he’s already claimed his buck...

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Our group started 45+ years ago with just my brother and I, after another 15 years a couple good friends came into the mix, after that some of us had sons who love to hunt. Here we are all those years later. I hope we have many more to come!
Those are a couple of nice bucks! You guys hunt public or private?

srfdmatty

Lil-Rokslider
The dog looks like a black mouth cur. Good hog and deer dogs.
A zone .....hot, dry and tough....but wouldn't trade hunting it for the world!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
Even with as screwed up California is, they still allow us to use dogs for deer hunting. As thick as the country is they do help to kick the bucks out and get them moving. Gotta learn to shoot deer on the run!

Even with as screwed up California is, they still allow us to use dogs for deer hunting. As thick as the country is they do help to kick the bucks out and get them moving. Gotta learn to shoot deer on the run!
I’m still not sure how it all got started but, my Grampa got started on beagles in the 70’s and we’ve always run them ever sense. I’ve got a little Jack that does pretty good but he runs silent until he’s about to get a mouth full of fur so he’s a little harder to track in the brush.
I know it’s not for everyone but, it’s a big part of how I learned and I love it. Something about working dogs...

OP
Buckhunter1955
The yellow dog is a Black Mouth Cur and we are lucky enough to be hunting private land. Our dogs are a big part of it, over the years we've had a couple of great ones. My brother had a little dog named Poppy that would only bark if it was a buck. If you heard Poppy barking you better get ready. As you can see in this photo those bucks are hers.

Attachments

• A Zone 2014 007.jpg
    A Zone 2014 007.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 15