A17 - X9b California archery hunt

blackshuk

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so me and my boys all drew an a17 tag as our second choice hunt.
Honestly we weren’t expecting to draw anything as it was our first year ever applying.

Does anyone have any previous experience in that unit? We have no idea what to do lolo_O

Jonny360

FNG
Very interesting. I also drew a17 and it was my first time ever applying. I'm pretty nervous. I feel really unprepared. I just ordered my first bow yesterday. I planned to be more on top of this but between a personally health issue last fall and covid I'm behind the game.

2rocky

WKR
Looking at the unit you have 2 towns nearby, Bishop and Independance. There is a FS campground at the foot of the Sierra west of Independance and the John Muir trail as the western boundary. I'd invest some time finding glassing points off of the JMT. There is only 460,000 acres there to roam in.

If you finish early you can always climb Mt. Whitney if you get bored.

mapupload.jpg

OP
B

blackshuk

Lil-Rokslider
Very interesting. I also drew a17 and it was my first time ever applying. I'm pretty nervous. I feel really unprepared. I just ordered my first bow yesterday. I planned to be more on top of this but between a personally health issue last fall and covid I'm behind the game.

good luck, sounds like you got some work cut out for you!

OP
B

blackshuk

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at the unit you have 2 towns nearby, Bishop and Independance. There is a FS campground at the foot of the Sierra west of Independance and the John Muir trail as the western boundary. I'd invest some time finding glassing points off of the JMT. There is only 460,000 acres there to roam in.

If you finish early you can always climb Mt. Whitney if you get bored.

mapupload.jpg

Interesting, I feel like the backpackers and hikers would be detrimental for hunting? No?

2rocky

WKR
They don't leave the trail. I'd reckon once you were out of sight and hearing of it you would be in undisturbed animals. But there also is the Kings canyon National park on the other side of the trail so that's a sanctuary too.

First order of business is to get eyes on the country and boots on the ground

OP
B

blackshuk

Lil-Rokslider
They don't leave the trail. I'd reckon once you were out of sight and hearing of it you would be in undisturbed animals. But there also is the Kings canyon National park on the other side of the trail so that's a sanctuary too.

First order of business is to get eyes on the country and boots on the ground

definitely, thanks for your input Rocky

Very low deer density. Make a scouting trip before season to identify the pockets that do hold deer. Lots of very good looking country that will not hold any deer. Focus efforts either in the high country (9500+) or in the sagebrush down low. Good luck, always the potential for a big deer.

OP
B

blackshuk

Lil-Rokslider
How was your hunt??
Brutal, 95+ degrees every day. Really steep, rocky, kitty litter type ground. Saw a few does, but that was it. Heard from a few people it was a similar story for them as well... I think it got too hot too quick last year and all the deer bumped over the crest into the national park. All in all, a great experience though.