a18/x9c

floatdogg

FNG
Hello Fellow Roksliders,

I was supposed to have a hunt in Lake Sonoma this weekend but it fell through due to the wildfires. I will no longer be hunting there and I hope that the fires are suppressed and property damage is kept to a minimum as soon as possible.

Since I am unable to hunt the original area I was going to I have been considering utilizing my A18 archery tag for the X9C zone. I didn't think that I would be able to head out that way as I had this other hunt scheduled and set. After doing some research I am considering the riparian habitat near the owens river/valley. I haven't seen any indication of wildfires in the immediate vicinity of the area however, smoke/ash may be spilling over from fires a bit away.

Does anyone have any information on a good starting point or a place where I can set up camp? I already have the week off so I want to head out and scout/hunt. I have been looking at the Inyo National Forest website and don't see any mention of fire restrictions. Any info is greatly appreciated.

I've been looking at a lot of the zone on Onyx and searching through forums.

OP
floatdogg

floatdogg

FNG
Would it be in my best interest to just take the loss of PTO and not hunt this weekend due to air quality?

OP
floatdogg

floatdogg

FNG
I figure I should’ve posted this in the mule deer forum also. Sorry. I had Blacktail on my mind because of the original hunt. I understand they may be at higher elevations this time of year also but I am considering the ease of access also. My vehicle isn’t the best suited for gravel roads.

OP
floatdogg

floatdogg

FNG
Tough, very tough. Low deer densities.
Yeah I’m almost thinking I should go the opposite direction and find a B zone that isn’t as affected by the fires. I just want to utilize my days off and go hunt. Anywhere, I have an AO tag and an A18 tag.

amassi

WKR
I've never hunted x9c but I'd rather chase high country mulies than complete with the b zone crowd. With the closures the open areas are about to get pounded.
You drew the tag. Now go check out the unit and enjoy the experience.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
floatdogg

floatdogg

FNG
I've never hunted x9c but I'd rather chase high country mulies than complete with the b zone crowd. With the closures the open areas are about to get pounded.
You drew the tag. Now go check out the unit and enjoy the experience.

you may have just convinced me to go that route. Beautiful country I bet. I just need to figure out a place I can camp at. Was starting to consider D zone too.

amassi

WKR
I guess what I'm trying to convey is I wouldnt burn a tag I had to draw to go hunt an otc tag with 30,000 of my closest friends. You can always hunt those during rifle once your archery season is over

OP
floatdogg

floatdogg

FNG
I guess what I'm trying to convey is I wouldnt burn a tag I had to draw to go hunt an otc tag with 30,000 of my closest friends. You can always hunt those during rifle once your archery season is over

Agreed. I’ll go out that way this weekend.

SDHNTR

WKR
X9c is interesting country for sure. The higher elevation is moonscape. Fascinating but not many deer. You’ll need to find water up high. The lower river country holds more deer, but that’s not saying much. It’s interesting too, lots of tule elk, waterfowl, birds and fishing, but buggy and hot! It’s worth a trip if geography is fascinating to you, and I’d rather go that route too versus fight crowds, but I‘ll just about guarantee you B zone backcountry holds more deer.

Block

WKR
You’d prolly be better off with a Dzone rifle tag than that A18 if you are kinda just tryin to throw it together last min with zero scouting... or even an AO tag which gives you way more time to hunt multiple zones/dates