AA Firearm Policy - anyone ever had this issue?

TheCougar

WKR
I just checked my rifle in at DFW. I’ve done this before and never had a problem. The ticketing counter made me remove everything from my case except the rifle and bullets. I had the case packed full of clothes and soft items to protect the rifle. No matter what I said, she made me empty it. I showed her the AA policy from the website. She said that the webpage didn’t matter and that the AA policy is that nothing can be in the rifle case except the gun and ammunition. I asked to speak to the supervisor and to be shown the policy in writing. No dice. She said she was the supervisor and told me the rifle doesn’t get checked until I empty the case. So now my rifle and boxes of ammunition are banging around, unprotected, in my cavernous SKB double bow case. Which has A LOT of room in it for a rifle to play ping pong off the walls. Pretty sure my rifle won’t be remotely close to zero when I get to Wyoming. Fudge. What is it with this hunting season? I can’t seem to get off on the right foot.

You gotta love it when people get on a power trip. They know they are wrong, but they refuse to budge because they know they have the power. Right from the AA firearm policy webpage:

Allowance
There is no limit to the number of items you can carry in your rifle, shotgun or pistol case, but bag and oversize / overweight charges may apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I fly AA exclusively and haven't had an issue. I don't even mind that she was wrong -we all get it wrong now and again. My problem is that she chose to enforce an arbitrary policy and that she refused to show me the policy or review the AA policy, which clearly showed she was in the wrong.

ODB

WKR
How odd. Yes, you got a prick inspector. And it DOES matter what the website says as that is their policy - it’s not some random shit.

When I flew delta last year I had all kinds of shit in my case. I told the inspector that if she needed to open the case, let me remove the items and put them back because they were packed very specifically. She did just that. On the leg back from spokane, the inspector asked for the keys and opened the case outside of my view. This, in my opinion, is shit. It was only an 870, but it could have been a vintage Rigby or something else that was very valuable and the last thing I would want is some numbnut messing with it out of my view.

I fly AA exclusively and haven't had an issue. I don't even mind that she was wrong -we all get it wrong now and again. My problem is that she chose to enforce an arbitrary policy and that she refused to show me the policy or review the AA policy, which clearly showed she was in the wrong.

ive flown AA multiple times with a rifle case that had all kinds of crap in there, in addition to my rifle. I’d say it was just her...

Voyageur

WKR
Edited: Deleted my reply. I thought you meant Alaska Airlines.

Last edited:
That sucks.

I hate dealing with flying. I know I'm an exception but Dallas to Dubois is 18 hours, I'd just drive it to avoid dealing with airline crap for a hunt. No worry about getting stuff home afterwards, it's probably double the travel time but worth it in my opinion.

JonnyB

WKR
I thought you meant Alaska Airlines for a second and was really confused. Yeah, American sucks honestly. Delta isn’t much better. Southwest and Alaskan are the two best in my opinion, and not just when it comes to firearms and flying hunters. I always bring the policy on baggage for the airline I’m flying with in case any issues come up. The only time I’ve had an issue and had to pull out the policy is with American, luckily it was nowhere near the issue you have.

I hate to be that guy but after you get back from your trip, I would make it a point to be a VERY squeaky wheel with the corporate powers of American. Not only is it an issue that they’re causing damage to your firearm and your hunting trip, but it is also unsafe for the plane/passengers to have that ammo floating around in the rifle case like that. Highly unlikely that it would come out of the ammo storage case AND have a primer strike, but the possibility exists. You know what they say about if it can happen....

woods89

WKR
I only have a sample size of one trip, but Southwest was absolutely great to deal with for me. I will definitely fly with them with firearms in the future.

I am guessing you got the wrong person, though. It's a little mind boggling that she wouldn't honor your written copy of their policy.

WCB

WKR
I've flown with all the major airlines and never had a problem with firearms . I've had multiple pars of binos...range finders., slings, bipods, etc.

I will say I have never understood the packing your case with your clothes. Maybe I just don't pack enough to matter but seems like more of a hassle than it is worth.

Wapiti1

WKR
That sucks. I've had rare issues flying with firearms, and like you, pack my rifle case with other goodies. That said, my rifle itself is always in a soft case as well. Not sure how I would have handled that one. When I pack for travel, I don't have extra space in my bags. I don't like lots of luggage, or big luggage, so I pack as compactly as possible.

Write AA a letter detailing your experience. Takes only a moment and you may get a little satisfaction from it.

Jeremy

After flying Alaska Airlines last year and reading this I would never pack my rifle case full of additional loose crap. Why.... because of the above. With Alaska Air, they were great for the most part , however the one agent in Cordova checking in my rifle case ruined the whole trip . She also pulled EVERYTHING out of it including the foam inserts. Only thing left was the hard case. I politely asked if I could assist and/or hold some of the items being taken out as well as repack the items after she was done and you would have thought I had yelled “I have a bomb”. She immediately got loud, aggressive and threatened me if I got any closer to the case or tried to pull something out she would have me detained. In no uncertain terms was I going to be allowed to touch/open the case after she was done. I was flabbergasted. I thought maybe she just misunderstood I wanted to help so my valuables werent just thrown on the table an that I wanted to be able to repack it like I had it so items were secure. WRONG. She came at me again and at that point I just threw my hands up and shook my head. Some people like to talk their job and self empowerment to the next level. Had I been in a big city airport I would have handled this more aggressively, but in Cordova Alaska, you have ZERO other options.

Last edited:

Will_m

WKR
I had the exact same thing happen to me through United. It was a TSA agent that told me that though and as expected, it didn’t matter what I showed them on the policy or who I asked to speak with.
I would contact an attorney friend if you have one and have them write a letter explaining the damage (I’m sure it has some damage) and put some scary language in there about the dangers of what that could do.
This is absolutely unacceptable that we adhere to the policy only to deal with some idiot at the counter. They can single handedly ruin your hunt through no fault of your own. Do you think you could all of the sudden change something in the agreement between you and the airline and get your money back? Nope.
There has to be a way to deal with this. Hopefully you have the person’s name and can be relentless in complaining to the airline about it.

Just to reiterate, if you have an attorney friend who can write the letter, have them do it. Businesses, at least poor customer service ones, generally pay more attention to a letter from an attorney than a customer

MattB

WKR
I hope you got her name so it can be prominently referenced in a follow-up complaint letter to the airlines.

Mosby

WKR
I once tried to check a new chainsaw that I bought on a trip. The FFA allowed it. I called CS at Southwest Airlines twice and they allowed it. Even handed CS to the women and they told her it was allowed. It was perfectly legal because it was brand new. The women at the counter refused to check the saw. My flight was leaving in 30 minutes. I refused to leave and told them to put me on another flight because I wasn't going anywhere. A guy finally stepped in and grabbed the saw. They had the saw delivered to my house at their expense.

What I learned through that process is the airline regulations and company policy don't matter if you get someone who wants to create a problem.

Backyard

WKR
Flew on AA about ten years ago when my daughter was racing BMX bikes. Would pack the disassembled bike in an Ogio Monster golf bag. Never a problem on any other carrier to check for the usual $25. Checked it in that day for the $25, then, as we were boarding, almost an hour later, I get called the counter. Seems they were “helping” TSA go thru the contents and found a bike. Well its considered by AA as another form of transportation and if I wanted it with it was going to cost me an additional $250 or it stays.
Never flew with them again.

bozeman

WKR
Flew on Delta in May with all my clothes packed in my gun case, young lady checking my bags said, ‘good idea, I’m gonna copy that. Didn’t move a single piece of clothing.......

bozeman

WKR
Guy in B’ham tried to wrap one of those ribbons through my trigger guard......I said, sir, it goes on the outside of my case.....lol.