AAE Max Bond Leaves White Film on New Shafts

mckchome

FNG
I've been fletching Easton Axis Match Grades for about 3 years now with AAE Stealths and using AAE's Max Bond + Primer pen. Usually an excellent combo. I just got in a new set of Axis shafts and started fletching them after nock tuning, but the Max Bond is leaving a white residue upon drying, right along the edges of the glue. The adhesive quality of the glue does not seem to be compromised; it simply leaves this somewhat sticky residue behind. Anyone know what this is about? Thanks in advance. Pic attached.
IMG_8084.jpg

I haven't used AAE Max Bond, but I have seen similar residue with other fletching glues. According to the Internet, it's called "blooming" and is a common occurrence with cyanoacrylate ("super glue").

Just fletched up max stealths on rip tko with the aae primer and glue, got the same thing. Tried pulling off by hand, they are strong. Just wiped off the white spots with light brake cleaner on a rag and called it good.

OP
M

mckchome

FNG
Just fletched up max stealths on rip tko with the aae primer and glue, got the same thing. Tried pulling off by hand, they are strong. Just wiped off the white spots with light brake cleaner on a rag and called it good.
Thanks. Yeah, there doesn't seem to be any impact on adhesion. They are on there strong. So that's good. Otherwise it sounds like just an aesthetic issue--so no big deal.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It has to be what MM posted and is common where it's humid.......because I've never had that happen here in CO (very low humidity) with Max Bond or any other cyanoacrylate glues.

I've also started dabbing my vanes on a folded paper towel after applying the glue to it. If you do it right, that will take up all the excess glue and then when you press the vanes onto the shaft it doesn't force out along the edges. Usually just a tiny bit on each end. And if any does come out, I just clean that up with Q-tips immediately.

Fresch

FNG
I second the humidity issue. I’ve found that if I run my dehumidifier in my closed shop room before I fletch I get very little to no white haze.

Marble

WKR
It has to be what MM posted and is common where it's humid.......because I've never had that happen here in CO (very low humidity) with Max Bond or any other cyanoacrylate glues.

I've also started dabbing my vanes on a folded paper towel after applying the glue to it. If you do it right, that will take up all the excess glue and then when you press the vanes onto the shaft it doesn't force out along the edges. Usually just a tiny bit on each end. And if any does come out, I just clean that up with Q-tips immediately.
That's a great idea! Kind of like rolling brass on a pad to get uniform lube on them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk