AAE Vanes

406unltd

WKR
Has anyone had any issues trying to adhere aae vanes without the wipes, primer pen, and glue they want you to use?

Trial153

WKR
You have to prep the bases, either primer pen or acetone... I use max bond but I have also used loktight gel. Max bond is better though.

Brendan

WKR
Has anyone had any issues trying to adhere aae vanes without the wipes, primer pen, and glue they want you to use?
Yes. I've been part of threads here on Rokslide discussing the issue if you search.

The Vanes have an activator on the mounting surface which is why there is a certain process.

I've also had issues with old glue.

jestanw1

FNG
Use the AAE Hybrid vanes. I use the Hybrid 26 in place of the max stealth and there is no prep involved and I did not see a performance difference between the two. I believe they have a hybrid for every size and cut vane they have now.

Gumbo

WKR
Yes. I went back to Vanetec VMax after fletching a couple with Max Stealth vanes. I can't come to grips with an extra step or the fumes associated with the pen.

Use the AAE Hybrid vanes. I use the Hybrid 26 in place of the max stealth and there is no prep involved and I did not see a performance difference between the two. I believe they have a hybrid for every size and cut vane they have now.

I recently fletched some with the H26 as well, not as stiff as the max stealth but lighter and no prep, they fly great. Cheap on eBay too I think I paid 10 or 12 for 100

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, Elite PF 2.6, 2.3, and Pro max vanes. I use their wipes and the pen. I was instructed that the pen is used just prior to applying the glue. So use the pen and apply glue within about 15 seconds of the pen drying (not long at all). I've had great luck with AAE max bond and goat tuff glues. NEVER had one fly off.

I'm testing the Vanetec 2.88 Swifts against, 3 inch V Maxes, 3 fletched, 3* helical and so far, BOTH Vanes shoot, great !
The 3, 3" V Maxes w/ Helical, steered Fixed B-H's, fine last year, as did 4 fletched 2.5 V Maxes but, I'm going back to 3 fletched and slightly lighter Arrows to get some of the "Rainbow affect",.. "out" ! My Arrow FOC, is now between 13-14%, weight 435 grains and they "fly", great. Tho maybe not, the toughest vane, VaneTec vanes, stick good, are accurate, QUIET and fletch up, nicely ! I wipe the vanes "groove", first with, Acetone then, Alcohol on a Q-tip, ( 3 or4 vanes at a time), pinched between my finger/ thumb, to hold them, then let dry, fully. Apply, by wiping to smooth out, the Loctite Control Gel with, a Foam Paint brush, to just leave a wet "Film" of, Glue in the groove, let dry 5-7 minutes. Shoot them, NEXT Day !

chindits

WKR
I don’t do anything different with them from my other vanes. Clean arrow and vane glue surface with denatured alcohol and gorilla glue them on. I only lose a vane when I’m unlucky enough to be shooting an arrow where there is already an arrow. I’d rather shoot a vane off then bust a nock or ruin a shaft. My 4 fletched arrows still fly fine with lopsided 3 remaining vanes. Stealth for a couple years now and I still like them.

TravisIN

WKR
I don’t mind the prep steps because when you do the system they will not come off. It’s completely worth it in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have neve used the AAE primer pen but I would guess it works great. I wipe with a clean q-tip dipped in denatured alcohol down the vane base then flip the q-tip over and run the dry end over. Apply AAE Max Bond glue and clamp.

I also throw out any left over glue every winter and buy a new one. I have not had any problems in years.

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
I’m currently having some trouble with some max hunters sticking to some bohning arrow wraps. Appears when the vane falls off there isn’t any glue whatsoever on the vane itself. I’m assuming there’s still some residual release agent left on the vanes maybe? I guess I’ll buy the AAE glue, wipes and pen kit and give it a shot.. that will put me at $40 to install vanes.. It’s got me rethinking ever buying AAE vanes again.

Google shows people having issues for several years now.

Evergreen

WKR
I dont do any prep and have had no issues. I'm using the maxx stealth vanes, bohning wrap and flextight standard glue. I don't like the fast set glues so I use a standard slow cure type.

280aiWyHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the Maxx stealth last year with bohning wraps on a dozen fmjs and only had problems with two vanes coming off and that was user error I think I rushed through the process and just had the aae wipes I'll be getting the pen for this year's set up

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
I used max stealths and they needed the prep. I still lost a few but those may have been my fault from being sloppy. For the most part if I used the wipes, primer pen, and max bond they stuck to wraps.

Last year I switched to the hybrid, same shape as the stealth, I think it’s the 26. The vane was lighter, a little more flexible and much less fussy when applying, all aae called for is to glue it on, no prep. Been using them since, they stick on better than blazers did. Very happy with the stealth vane Only thing that ticked me off was about 1/4 of the vanes in the package had a deformity.

Last edited:

chindits

WKR
I stand corrected. I’ve been refletching some arrows. I decided to check how easy it was to strip vanes from my current 300 arrows to some old 340s. The 300s with stealth max stripped really easy compared to my old 340s with vane tecs. Now this isn’t conclusive because I don’t know if it is the same glue. I will know for sure the next time I refletch my arrows. Previous post neutralized.

I used max stealths and they needed the prep. I still lost a few but those may have been my fault from being sloppy. For the most part if I used the wipes, primer pen, and max bond they stuck to wraps.

Last year I switched to the hybrid, same shape as the stealth, I think it’s the 26. The vane was lighter, a little more flexible and much less fussy when applying, all aae called for is to glue it on, no prep. Been using them since, they stick on better than blazers did. Very happy with the stealth vane Only thing that ticked me off was about 1/4 of the vanes in the package had a deformity.

I got the white and blue hybrid 26 and the whites are all fine but the blue are deformed about the same amount in my pack

Lawnboi

WKR
I got the white and blue hybrid 26 and the whites are all fine but the blue are deformed about the same amount in my pack

I haven’t contacted aae just because there are so many in the packs, but both my white and pink have quite a few I had to cull.

Awesome vane though, I’ll be using them a while