ABC Watches

JSonn

FNG
When you go out into the back country, does a wrist watch count as a part of your gear? ABC watches aka (altimeter, barometer, compass) have loads of features including alarms, sun rise/sun set times, moon phases, ascent and descent times, etc. Is it a useful tool to have on the hunt or just a useless accessory?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Suunto Vector. I like being able to check my elevaton at a glance, and see the trending barometer. My GPS does all of this too, but it isn't right on my wrist where I can see it. It is a luxury item, but I like it.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Suunto Vector HR and love the useful information. It is very helpful with navigation if you don't use a GPS. Although I carry a GPS, the watch is always with me. If you going to take a watch, why not take one that could help you out in a pinch if needed.

littlebuf

Banned
i don't know why it never dawned on me that my GPS has an alarm on it.the only reason i wear a wrist watch is for the alarm,feel kinda silly

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
Lilbuff , but the GPS goes through batterys alot of them ,if your multiple days and 24 hours . The alarm is the only reason I personally carry a watch as well .

littlebuf

Banned
yeah thats a good point,i hate carrying batteries around the woods.i do leave my gps off most of the time and only turn it on to set way points.may have to experiment a little with battery life this summer. what watches are you guys wearing.i always by a cheapo black one that never makes it through to the next season,but it might be kinda cool to have one with some features

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you go with an ABC watch, ones that have a barometer graph over a certain period of hours is also helpful with weather prediction. Going down, bad weather may be coming at you, going up, good weather may be coming your way.

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Suntu S10, it is a great backup to my gps, and is very handy, being right on my wrist at all times.

idabow

FNG
I carry a motorola droid X in an otterbox has a stand alone GPS with many GPS and mapping APPS available, along with a built in alarm clock and mp3 player. I also carry a brunton restore solar charger so I always have power. Oh and i forgot to mention it also has Angry Birds when the hunting is real slow.

vcb

WKR
I bought the Suunto Core a few weeks ago. Haven't had it in the backcountry yet but really like the features......But I'm a total gear head!! ;)
photo.jpg

I wear one as my EDC watch. I like having a backup compass with me at all times. I also like the altimeter feature as it helps me locate myself when I'm on a long non-descript ridgeline; if I know the back azimuth from some prominent terrain feature I can plot it across the ridge I am on and then knowing my altitude I just look at where the back aziumth crosses that contour line.