Acceptable heel slip?

Ive been trying on a lot of boots lately, and it never fails, I get some heel slip in my left foot with just about everything.

I have wide feet and narrow heels, and my left foot is smaller than the right. Ive found several that feel great on my right foot, but so far, EVERYTHING has been a bit big in the left heel.

Ive tried Kenetrek, Lowa, Schnee's, Crispi, and Meindl.

The regular Kenetreks were bad, but the mountain guides I kinda liked. So far the best two have been those and the Meindl Alaskans. But still a little heel movement.

Should I just deal with it? Is there an acceptable amount of heel slip? Id hate to spend $300+ on boots only to have em tear me up.

Im running out of options.

Thanks

wapitibob

WKR
I have zero. If it starts when going up hill, I stop and re tie. And I tie as tight as I can, like ski boot tight. Nothing moves but the toes.
I'm back to Renegades. All leather, pretty flexible, and I can sinch them down.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Insole make a difference have you tried some different ones with you tried the boots you like to see if heel slip lessens

Wrongside

WKR
Zero.

Except for the size difference from L to R, your feet sound similar to mine. I'd recommend trying Hanwags. They are as close to perfect for my feet as I've found. Custom insoles might help make up for your smaller left foot? Or, more costly, custom boots...

Good luck!

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
You could also try lacing your left boot differently to prevent heel slip (i.e. lock lacing). You can google different methods and experiment and see if that works. Kind of a subjective process so its tough to recommend a specific method that will work on your foot. The Meindl Alaskan hunter boots work well for my narrow heeled, flat feet.

Last edited:

2ski

WKR
I've been told that its possible to get two different sizes as its actually pretty common to have two different size feet. My brother used to work in a sporting good store and said they would do it all the time. Just ask if its an option I guess.

swat8888

WKR
I feel your pain man. The only mountaineering boot I've gotten to fit on both feet was a half size too small pair of Lowas. Crushed my toes downhill but never got a blister in them. I think I have a low volume foot, long and narrow so the tongue tends not to snug up my ankle enough. They also make big felt pads you can stick on the inside of the tongue to help push the heel back into the heel cup. I bought some online last year, didn't really work for me...but the ones I got were kinda flimsy. Mid you could find some thicker, more durable ones it might be worth a shot in your smaller foot.

OP
Coyote Commander
I've tried a lot of insoles in the stores as I was trying them on whenever possible, I have pretty high arches so an after market insole is kind of a given for me.

I've tried every single laxing trick I know of or can think of to try to lock that heal down but to no avail.

I I think my only option left is to probably call up lathrop and sons.

choovhntr

WKR
Give lathrop and sons a call. They make something that goes inside the boot that will help lock your heel in. I’m getting them put in my new boots from them. Wish I had more info for you but I haven’t gotten the boots back yet.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
I used to have terrible heel slip. I tried everything over the counter. I finally went to a podiatrist and he told me I have incredibly high arches which cause all kids of problems. I had custom inserts made and have not had a single blister since. Now these inserts were $500 but have been well worth it for me. I am sure you can find a cheaper, non MD incentivized, custom set made.

View attachment 70708