Access in WY 25/26/56/113?

TheCougar

WKR
Gents,

I'm taking a buddy antelope hunting in WY when he returns from his deployment in the fall. I'm doing a group NR app with 1 point for each of us. We are not trophy hunting and I don't want your secret areas. I'm using a bunch of tools (gohunt, huntinfool, OnXmaps, Wyoming hunt planner, etc) to determine what units to apply for and public access solutions. I'm looking for boots-on-the-ground access reports for any of the following units: 25/26/44/45/56/113. No need to get specific on locations, unless you recommend a unit that I'm not looking at. I'd appreciate any first-hand reports from guys who have hunted the units to understand if there is good/bad/ugly public access in those units so I can narrow it down to one or two that we will actually apply for. I'd like to avoid paying for private access, if it can be avoided... unless you know of a reasonable landowner.

Also on a related question: where two pieces of BLM/State land touch at the corners, can you jump on the diagonal? (Think how a bishop moves in chess). In some of the units it seems that this is the only way to navigate the checkerboard. Thanks for your time!

Unfortunately, like WyoRob said corner crossing is illegal. If noticed by the landowner it will result in a trespassing fine. I've never hunted those areas. I've been to 21 which is just across the interstate from 113. Also be careful about driving on 2 tracks. The roads on private are private and you can't drive on them. The only roads you're allowed to cross private on are state maintained roads, usually the ones with numbers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
No, you can't corner jump.

Thats debateable. Really depends on the county d.a. and sheriff. Game and fish will not charge trespassing in regards in corner crossing, they will defer to the county sheriff's office. There was a case in Albany county a few years ago where in which a circuit court judge found a hunter not guilty due to the hunters thoroughness in making sure to only walk on public (by locating asurvey marker). That case does not set any case law precedence state wide however.

Last edited:
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Unfortunately, like WyoRob said corner crossing is illegal. If noticed by the landowner it will result in a trespassing fine. I've never hunted those areas. I've been to 21 which is just across the interstate from 113. Also be careful about driving on 2 tracks. The roads on private are private and you can't drive on them. The only roads you're allowed to cross private on are state maintained roads, usually the ones with numbers.

Yeah, I thought I had read somewhere in the regs that you can't corner-jump, but couldn't verify it last time I looked. How was 113? On the WY hunt planner map it looks pretty much identical for land access... spotty.

Straight from the Wyoming Game and Fish website....

Crossing or entering private lands without landowner’s permission may result in a violation of Wyoming’s game and fish or criminal trespass statutes. *The game and fish trespass statute prohibits a person from entering private land to hunt or intend to hunt without permission. In Wyoming, some public lands adjoin by only the corners of the public land parcels touching.* *In 2004, the Wyoming Attorney General’s Office issued an opinion that “corner crossing” from one parcel of public land to another in order to hunt that other public parcel, depending on the factual situation involved, may not violate the game and fish trespass statute, but may be a criminal trespass violation. **The factual situation would include whether the person doing the “corner crossing” was hunting or intended to hunt private land at the time the corner was crossed

Looking at my BLM map, 113 access is limited. Looks like the southern part along 387 north of Midwest is accessible. And the large chunk just southeast of Kaycee can be accessed, but it would take some serious walking.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Looking at my BLM map, 113 access is limited. Looks like the southern part along 387 north of Midwest is accessible. And the large chunk just southeast of Kaycee can be accessed, but it would take some serious walking.

Sorry, I meant how was 21? Thanks for finding the corner-jumping info. I don't know why I couldn't find it. I've got access to all the map info for land ownership, etc but reading other threads makes it sound like actual navigation is tougher than the maps lead you to believe. I know it can be done. It is a shame that Wyoming makes it so difficult. I'm spoiled in Az, where most land is public and accessible. Our curse is getting a tag!

It's like you said, spotty. The areas that were public were kinda spread out. Seems like after my brother shot his opening morning, we spent the next 2 days driving around checking different spots to see if any antelope got pushed onto the property. That's why I suggest finding a heard and watching them until sundown, then coming back on opening morning.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
It's like you said, spotty. The areas that were public were kinda spread out. Seems like after my brother shot his opening morning, we spent the next 2 days driving around checking different spots to see if any antelope got pushed onto the property. That's why I suggest finding a heard and watching them until sundown, then coming back on opening morning.

Did you ever look into getting on private or paying a trespass fee? I'm curious what the going rate is.

Did you ever look into getting on private or paying a trespass fee? I'm curious what the going rate is.
Nope, we stayed on public the whole time. Last year there were signs up at the entrances to some ranches advertising trespass fees. Seems like they were going for $500 to $1000 a hunter.

I bought the OnX chip that had the boundaries but didn't list the landowners name. I should have bought the one that gave the names. Then I could have looked up the landowners and just called them and asked.

HOT ROD

WKR
500 to 1000. that's pretty expensive antelope.... There is sum of these units with poor access. That have sum long seasons. I would skip the opener. And come later on. A friend picked up a left over tag. He went the opener. It was a zoo. Waited two weeks and went back. And tagged out. And one more thing. I have seen sum nice antelope. In sum areas where I never would of guessed. More mule deer country than antelope.

NoWiser

WKR
Criminal trespass fee for corner hopping is a lot cheaper than a trespass fee. If I can find the corner pin, I'll take the risk. Last I heard, fish and game won't ticket for trespass with intent to hunt but the sheriff may ticket for criminal trespass. If you feel guilty for utilizing public lands (that you own) it may not be worth it for you. Though I haven't had to corner hop to find antelope yet, I would not feel guilty for doing so.

FURMAN

WKR
I have hunted 25. Access is very limited but there are spots you can access with plenty of good antelope ground if you are willing to hike.

wapitibob

WKR
"The factual situation would include whether the person doing the “corner crossing” was hunting or intended to hunt private land at the time the corner was crossed"

And this is why nobody will ever be convicted of criminal trespass when corner crossing unless their really stupid.
Do your research, there is more than one county where corner crossing will not be enforced by the DA and is common practice.

Also, most counties have their GIS dept posting maps showing the county roads. That and a call to the local BLM will get you every open road.

FURMAN

WKR
I have been told by the game wardens in the four units I have hunted in Wyoming that if I corner crossed I would be ticketed. I don't personally care if I would or would not have to pay if taken to court. I do not have the time nor the desire to deal with it. If others want to push the issue go for it.

Criminal trespass fee for corner hopping is a lot cheaper than a trespass fee. If I can find the corner pin, I'll take the risk. Last I heard, fish and game won't ticket for trespass with intent to hunt but the sheriff may ticket for criminal trespass. If you feel guilty for utilizing public lands (that you own) it may not be worth it for you. Though I haven't had to corner hop to find antelope yet, I would not feel guilty for doing so.
Good luck finding the corner pin. Hell, in area 21, seems like the only fences were around state property, or property that abuted the interstate. I would guess it to be around 5% of the properties had a fence, let alone a property pin.

bmf0713

WKR
Looking at the Wyoming g and f area map it shows some roads in a bold white color with names and some thin and black with no names. Is it safe to say that the bold white roads with names are all public roads?

The only roads in Wyoming that you are allowed to cross private property on, are county maintained roads. Those roads have easements. All other roads, you can drive on, as long as you are on public land. When those roads, often called two tracks, cross private property, you aren't allowed to continue. Each county lists there roads and usually provide a map. Here is the map list for Lincoln County.

Documents – Lincoln County, Wyoming.

Hope this helps.

bmf0713

WKR
The roads that are named or numbered probably have easements right? How do the police/game wardens feel about pulling over and parking in the ditch to hunt on public land? Here in Iowa all the public lands offer some sort of parking lot or multiple. Haven't seen anything like that on game and fish website. Also how do I get a map like that one for the counties I wanna hunt? Thanks for your help.