Access options unit 40 / Co Deer

id450

WKR
Hey guys, used up my 8 points on the 2nd season. I’ll be Solo November 1-7. I’m looking at truck access , crossing the river by raft ( cheap blow up ) , E-bike possibly with trailer? and of course lots of hiking. I’m looking at access to winter grounds and transition areas feel the higher country within my travel means while negotiating and respecting private land.

It’s rally heard to tell E scouting and google searching what roads are open to public, die into private , accessible to a just last stock F150 , , weather concerns a d good roads turning bad. I have a list of roads I’m curious about.

I was hoping to get some local knowledge of the roads and access issues in the unit. I’ll put in the effort just need a head start if possible.

I plan to arrive 2 days ahead to scout and ground truth.

Thanks a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
It won’t be winter. Will be pre rut so honestly your best bet is to skirt the Private where you see lots of does and hope to catch a buck on the Private side for bedding or crossing to other fields.
+1 my son had that tag a couple years ago.

OP
I

id450

WKR
Ok, thanks for the feedback. That basically my plan on that west side.I’m praying for some weather but it looks doubtful. Where you guys successful in your strategy? Thanks again

snik

FNG
For trail access download to COTREX APP. It is very informative when it comes to what is allowed on what trails in Colorado.

OP
I

id450

WKR
Appreciate that , thanks.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, thanks for the feedback. That basically my plan on that west side.I’m praying for some weather but it looks doubtful. Where you guys successful in your strategy? Thanks again

It wasn't our strategy.

We hiked our asses off until one morning as we were hiking to the top of a mesa above some deer down low on private and we noticed a couple guys sitting in a truck drinking coffee right where we had taken off from. About the time we reached the top we heard a shot from down below. Later when we hiked down, there were the guys from the truck with a nice buck. It was a guide and his client. They just sat there drinking coffee until the buck left the field and crossed onto public ;)

OP
I

id450

WKR
It wasn't our strategy.

We hiked our asses off until one morning as we were hiking to the top of a mesa above some deer down low on private and we noticed a couple guys sitting in a truck drinking coffee right where we had taken off from. About the time we reached the top we heard a shot from down below. Later when we hiked down, there were the guys from the truck with a nice buck. It was a guide and his client. They just sat there drinking coffee until the buck left the field and crossed onto public ;)

Haha wow. The guide then said 5k please Mr. Client. I’m off to Colorado, thanks for your reply.