Access Question

OXN939

WKR
So, doing some E Scouting for a Caribou gig I have planned this August, and have found a bunch of these. OnX calls them "AK Government Lands" but then adds the note "Native Allotment." According to several folks I've talked to, they are indeed public land and good to go for access and/ or hunting... but just want to check with some of the guys who know way more about this than I do. Some of them are even within the boundaries of CUAs, which I have also heard are explicitly good to go for access. So, what's the verdict? Thanks in advance for any input!

Screenshot_20200630-211934_onX Hunt.jpg

Bambistew

WKR
I would suggest you find another source for information. OnX sucks in Alaska due to the complicated land status and conveyance of property in recent years. The land status database they use is not accurate or I should say the status is not representative of definitions used by all land agencies here.

The the information you received is not correct, that particular piece of property is Native Owned private land. If its not State, or BLM you need to dig deeper to figure out if its still open or not. If it says native allotment, its native and private.

As far as property within CUAs, it doesn't' mean anything. A CUA is just a controlled use area with boundaries. There is private land in CUA's and its not public. There is a lot of private in and around the area you are looking.

Ditto on ONX in Alaska, its a start but everything needs to be verified. One area we were looking at going had a ton of native corp land, there were some pretty major errors, but the corporation had their own maps available and were actually pretty helpful. I contacted ONX and they did correct it eventually but I know there were still discrepancies within a few miles of the area I pointed out to them.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
I would suggest you find another source for information. OnX sucks in Alaska due to the complicated land status and conveyance of property in recent years. The land status database they use is not accurate or I should say the status is not representative of definitions used by all land agencies here.

The the information you received is not correct, that particular piece of property is Native Owned private land. If its not State, or BLM you need to dig deeper to figure out if its still open or not. If it says native allotment, its native and private.

As far as property within CUAs, it doesn't' mean anything. A CUA is just a controlled use area with boundaries. There is private land in CUA's and its not public. There is a lot of private in and around the area you are looking.

Check, good to know about OnX and AK. What would be the best resource to check land ownership with? AK DFG's website doesn't seem to address that much

Check, good to know about OnX and AK. What would be the best resource to check land ownership with? AK DFG's website doesn't seem to address that much
AK DNR, then the regional native corp....also borough if applicable.

P.S. make sure to stop in at Alpine Creek Lodge when you're up there...nice folk, great food...